NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else still staring at a blank page?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ElleBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 1:23am
Ugh, before every round I always tell myself that *this* time is going to be *the* time I'll have something done in time to get beta'd. I should just stop doing that because I know full well that I'll wind up where I am now...under 24 hours to deadline with only an outline, staring another under-the-wire submission square in the face.

Glad to know I'm not the only one :-) We can do it!!
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 1:23am
I just started. We're moving, and I started packing at 6:00 AM. Hoping to carve some time out tomorrow so I can finish up. Unfortunately, I'm just not feeling the RomCom vibe right now.Thumbs Down
JoshuaTMoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoshuaTMoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 1:31am
I also have thriller! Group 104. I've been struggling all night but I'm pretty happy with what I've got now. Seems like every new challenge is a new genre that I don't know well lol
Good luck! Keep at it

Edited by JoshuaTMoore - 12 Sep 2021 at 2:26am
FF2021 C1 POPPET
cford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 1:46am
Thriller here too. Group 59
I struggled. Half wrote one story. Had a much better idea. Wrote another.
Feel like the 2nd one would be much better at about 1500 words.
Oh well. I've done the extensive word cut. And submitted.
Working tomorrow so I need to be about done. 
meegandavies View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote meegandavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 1:55am
Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

I love the competitions but why must I struggle so much every. Single. Time!?!? 😩 I got fairy tale this time and I really don’t like that genre so it’s a huge struggle. I also got a fountain as my location so not sure what I can do that would primarily take place at a fountain! I’m just a mess over here so figured I’d procrastinate a bit and see how everyone else is doing...?

Hi Christi

I hear you, though I just finished a draft, but it's light on plot (plus I've got that feedback from a friend I trust) so need to bring it if I want a chance to go through to the finals.

Try writing a fairy-tale in a genre you enjoy (e.g. goldilocks robs a bank if you like crime caper and so on).

I'm commenting, as I had romance in Short Script & it's not my jam, so twisted it into a more gothic/romance/fairy-tale. It could have been developed further, but was happy with the concept:) It's in my signature...

Hope that helps!
Best
Steph x
CLRosser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote CLRosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 2:00am
Originally posted by bluevervain bluevervain wrote:

I wasn't able to start until about two hours ago, and I don't have a blank page, but what I do have is something that I think needs to be a short story, not flash! I love it so far and feel like I have momentum, so a part of me wants to keep working on it, even if it means neglecting the contest. But I placed well in the first challenge and would like to continue, so I guess I'll try to get a shorter piece together sometime tomorrow! 

So I might be Captain Obvious here, but I always overwrite my first draft.  And by overwrite I mean 2-3 times word count.  And it kills me to chop so much out.  So  what I do is save my draft, then copy/paste the entire thing into a new document to start chopping.  That way I have my story to submit to NYC, but I also have my original, with all the original thought processes, uncut, to keep in case I want to flesh it out even more.  
TelepathicTeaTime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TelepathicTeaTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 2:03am
I've been struggling to finish my first draft following a very busy 3-11 shift at my hotel. I was making some progress but then some random couple decided to have a very dramatic and emotional (and LOUD) break up in the middle of the street (for some reason??? like dead center of the road which is only one way so very dangerous???) right outside my house so of course my nosy-ass had to turn out the lights and sit at the open window and eavesdrop on the whole thing and shiiiiit it was WILD

No physical violence thank god, but it was like something out of a bad Lifetime movie with all the wailing and dropping to their knees and like, starting to walk away but then running back to hug each other?? It would've been great footage for a music video if it was all slowed down and maybe with some added rain effects lol 

I wish them both the best, but I don't think they'll find it with each other after all that ðŸ˜¬
TeeHi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 2:23am
Originally posted by TelepathicTeaTime TelepathicTeaTime wrote:

I've been struggling to finish my first draft following a very busy 3-11 shift at my hotel. I was making some progress but then some random couple decided to have a very dramatic and emotional (and LOUD) break up in the middle of the street (for some reason??? like dead center of the road which is only one way so very dangerous???) right outside my house so of course my nosy-ass had to turn out the lights and sit at the open window and eavesdrop on the whole thing and shiiiiit it was WILD

No physical violence thank god, but it was like something out of a bad Lifetime movie with all the wailing and dropping to their knees and like, starting to walk away but then running back to hug each other?? It would've been great footage for a music video if it was all slowed down and maybe with some added rain effects lol 

I wish them both the best, but I don't think they'll find it with each other after all that ðŸ˜¬

Now, THAT sounds like a great story idea for another time...provided it can't be worked into the story you've already got going.
FerretKittyMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FerretKittyMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 2:34am
I currently have 68 words written. I got political satire, and hate anything to do with politics. I did come up with an idea, and the basic story is in my brain. Just actually writing it out is not going well. 
Rhyming2 Vacation Vexation

Rhyming1Stella
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:05am
20 hours to get the first glimpse of a plot.
4 more hours to get the first 350 words.
3 more hours and I have a first draft.

Then had a moment of fear. My Challenge 1 story had Mafia and money laundering. This one has Mafia and counterfeit money. (Yes, I know it's drama not spy, but that was the only glimpse of a plot I had!)
Will the judges object?

Frantic research to find the feedback emails from last year and determine that (phew) the judges are different in Challenge 1 and Challenge 2. 
Followed by the facepalm realisation that the judging is anonymous so they wouldn't know it was the same person anyway.

NYC may be good for my writing but bad for my heart...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>