NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Did You Get? (FF challenge 2)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivStrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:56pm
Just submitted and allowed myself to go on the forum. Some great and crazy prompts here. Mine were weird, but I love my final story: 
fairytale (great) sewage treatment facility (what now?) clamshell (fine). 

Hope others in my group post though I'm a bit worried about all those sewage fairytales.... 

Edited by LivStrom - 12 Sep 2021 at 3:57pm
Seven View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:39pm
Suspense, a landfill, goggles

And it’s in…earliest ever for me!
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 12:14am
Horror, a windmill and a cornhusk.

Was thrilled to get horror but since that's what I wanted, it paralyzed me. Got through it with the help of my betas. Might not even be horror, opinions were firmly divided. Prompts were so obvious and cliche that I tried to go sideways with them. No harm done in the end and I got to read some really amazing beta stories. Where is the anthology??

I think NYCM needs a new prompt wheel, lol. Seems to be a lot of repetition from contest to contest?

Originally posted by LadyArkham LadyArkham wrote:

My husband helpfully offered, "That sounds like you could do something with, like, a miserly man who runs a counting house, maybe in the winter, and maybe the ghost of his partner comes to visit and condemn his miserly ways, and in the end he buys one of his employees a big chicken dinner?"

I was going to suggest the same, hahaha. I'd love to see a twist on that story. It would be great to do an all female cast script with it, pol-sat or rom-com.
A.J. Gemick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.J. Gemick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 5:17am
Originally posted by TeeHi TeeHi wrote:

*giggling* I mean, you could have Scrooge McDuck eating chicken wings in his counting house and getting caught by his nephews. What's drama if not getting caught eating your cousins?! *rofl*

LOLLOLLOL   Ok, that is so darkly comedic, I LOVE it!!   

I didn't end up quite going that route, (thought technically I did go dark..cuz hopefully that reads as dramatic to the judges) but I'm still giggling over this suggestion... ahahahahah

Hope your submission went well- good luck!!

Edited by A.J. Gemick - 13 Sep 2021 at 5:18am
2021 FFC1 Gr40 Romance A Long Walk
KateHJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by LivStrom LivStrom wrote:

Just submitted and allowed myself to go on the forum. Some great and crazy prompts here. Mine were weird, but I love my final story: 
fairytale (great) sewage treatment facility (what now?) clamshell (fine). 

Hope others in my group post though I'm a bit worried about all those sewage fairytales.... 

I'm in that group, too!! I'm thrilled someone in my group is posting; I usually end up in one of the groups where only 2 or 3 people post their stories so it's torture, not having any idea what anyone else's stories look like. I look forward to reading it when we're allowed to!

Kate
TeeHi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by A.J. Gemick A.J. Gemick wrote:

Originally posted by TeeHi TeeHi wrote:

*giggling* I mean, you could have Scrooge McDuck eating chicken wings in his counting house and getting caught by his nephews. What's drama if not getting caught eating your cousins?! *rofl*

LOLLOLLOL   Ok, that is so darkly comedic, I LOVE it!!   

I didn't end up quite going that route, (thought technically I did go dark..cuz hopefully that reads as dramatic to the judges) but I'm still giggling over this suggestion... ahahahahah

Hope your submission went well- good luck!!

*lol* I adore dark, so can't wait to see what you came up with...24 hrs, or thereabouts, and counting...
N_Minaker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_Minaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:58am
G68, historical fiction, an observatory, a cigarette holder 

My story, Eclipse turned out pretty good I think. I usually hate historical fiction, but once I realised that the genre also incudes the 20th century, setting it in the 1940s just made everything else fall into place.

I usually am good at plot, but struggle with characters. However, this one was a real character driven narrative. I still got my "twist" ending, but it felt earned, and signposted enough that it doesn't feel like it came out of nowhere.

Can't wait to share and get feedback! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112