NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Did You Get? (FF challenge 2)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 5:23pm
Action/Adventure, Mountain highway and a knife sharpener

I have to admit, some of the other choices had me laugh out loud.
Islands and butter, counting houses and chicken wings.
Count me in for random pairings writer NYC Midnight. That job sounds like a blast!

Dramaqueenjs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dramaqueenjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 5:36pm
You guys have incredible ideas!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dramaqueenjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Patagonia Patagonia wrote:

Originally posted by Dramaqueenjs Dramaqueenjs wrote:

Thanks- 
I’m so stuck!

Okay - so maybe you have some type of fairy creature exiled to this uninhabited island with nothing but a stick of butter to help him/her get back to fairy-kind! And then some poor sailor washes up on the island and the fairy and the sailor help each other in some fashion? .... or not. LOL Really hard prompt. I am looking forward to see what people do with that one!!

Very cool!! I'm starting to play with some ideas but holy bananas is this a tough one!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dramaqueenjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by TeeHi TeeHi wrote:

Originally posted by Dramaqueenjs Dramaqueenjs wrote:

Fairy tale/uninhabited island/butter

Crap. lol

Maybe something's stuck and the butter can be used as a lube to unstick it...which will also give you a chance to wordplay the word "stick".

Ohh that's fun
StopStalkingMe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StopStalkingMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by JackClames JackClames wrote:

So, I’ve got fantasy / a shipwreck / a tusk, which I’m very happy with and probably the most cohesive and genre-friendly set of prompts I’ve ever had. Definitely not the totally random combination (spy/car wash/dildo etc) that I was dreading.

Time to find my thinking cap…

Lol I am glad you are happy with these prompts (we are in the same group) but I have zero motivation to write fantasy so
Car Wash Dildo Spies sounds amazing right now. 
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 6:14pm
Horror, a computer lab, a vacuum cleaner.

It is very refreshing to have a new genre but I've sickened myself and I want to be done writing it now, thanks
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 6:36pm
How about the princess of the sea falls in love with a sailor. Her father wrecks the ship but she saves him and washes him off to an uninhabited island. Then keeps sending other shipwrecked goods to him, including either butter or a cow to give milk for butter, depending on how modern / traditional you want the fairy tale to be.
Resolution? Does he find out and fall in love with her? Do they persuade her father? Does he escape and she takes her vengeance and drowns him?

Or have three sailors - on one island or tree - and she tests how they behave to choose a husband. That's a fairy tale trope.

OH MY GOD I need to write about bloody card rooms not hang around in this thread!!!
Patagonia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patagonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

How about the princess of the sea falls in love with a sailor. Her father wrecks the ship but she saves him and washes him off to an uninhabited island. Then keeps sending other shipwrecked goods to him, including either butter or a cow to give milk for butter, depending on how modern / traditional you want the fairy tale to be.
Resolution? Does he find out and fall in love with her? Do they persuade her father? Does he escape and she takes her vengeance and drowns him?

Or have three sailors - on one island or tree - and she tests how they behave to choose a husband. That's a fairy tale trope.

OH MY GOD I need to write about bloody card rooms not hang around in this thread!!!

I love this idea!! And I love how creative everyone here is!

Good luck with your card rooms!
alelha View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alelha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Patagonia Patagonia wrote:

Originally posted by alelha alelha wrote:

FFS! I got rom com again. In the last 3 challenges I've had rom-com (micro), romance (screenplay) and now this. It's the first time I've considered not writing. I tossed and turned all night and woke up with zero ideas.

rom-com - a nightclub - a candlestick

I wish I could help - in practicing the different genres, romance, comedy and rom-com have been my 3 hardest. Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you.

Thanks! I think I finally have an idea.
alelha View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alelha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Will703 Will703 wrote:

Originally posted by alelha alelha wrote:

FFS! I got rom com again. In the last 3 challenges I've had rom-com (micro), romance (screenplay) and now this. It's the first time I've considered not writing. I tossed and turned all night and woke up with zero ideas.

rom-com - a nightclub - a candlestick

When I saw that a candlestick was the item, I immediately thought of Clue. Maybe you could stretch your rom com to Professor Plum and Ms. Scarlett have a meet cute at the nightclub while being interrogated about the murder victim. Add some other genres into your rom com so you don't feel like you are retelling the same story.  

I also have had rom-com twice and I wrote the first one about a first date and the second about an engagement proposal. Changing up where in their relationship they were allowed me to feel like I wouldn't get caught up in the same world. Maybe change up the age of your lovebirds to spark some creativity.

Just some thoughts! I hope you submit something :)

I love the clue idea. It was Colonel Mustard in the nightclub with the candlestick!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>