NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All the new writers here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All the new writers here!
    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 4:31am

Well, this contest has so many new people putting up their titles and synops.
I have never seen so many. I think this year is going to have some pretty tough
competition.

Welcome to all of you!
 I hope you are having a great time so far, it will only get better once the forum 
where we can share our scripts opens!
 It's a proven fact that the more you read and leave feedback for others the more people 
will read and leave feedback for you - just remember to put either a link to 
your stories forum post, or some other way for them to find your story when you 
leave feedback. 
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 5:22am
And you rep the old timers with grace and generosity of spirit! Good to see you again, Suave. :-)

I look forward to reading everyone...new and veteran alike! I've been gone long enough to feel pretty reinvigorated (if not at at all confident). And if folks have trouble linking their stories in the sig line, I'm happy to help. 

Edited by Vernacula - 24 Aug 2021 at 5:23am
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

And you rep the old timers with grace and generosity of spirit! Good to see you again, Suave. :-)

I look forward to reading everyone...new and veteran alike! I've been gone long enough to feel pretty reinvigorated (if not at at all confident). And if folks have trouble linking their stories in the sig line, I'm happy to help. 

So good to see you again!
jacksilver View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 8:05am
It's my first time competing - I actually only found out about the competition on Friday afternoon.

Have to say I've REALLY enjoyed it, and the forum is great too .. it's been ages since I've felt part of such a large writing community.

Can't wait read other people's scripts .. so many of the loglines sounds great. :)
Zephram View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zephram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 11:46am
I'm having a great time. This isn't my usual format for a story. But since I've been taking a few playwrighting classes and gone through some readings, I thought I'd give it a try.

While it's not my natural format, I think it's a faster way to draft a complete story than writing actual prose. At least for me. I have a problem in that I can't help trying to create the flow and energy and mood, even on the first draft of a story, which is a waste of effort given how much gets tossed on editing.

But drafting as a script... this isn't even a temptation. Set the scene, including the mood there, and then it's all dialog except for some beats. It's great as a drafting tool!

Thinking of taking what I wrote for this and converting it to a short story.
GenieAZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GenieAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Zephram Zephram wrote:

While it's not my natural format, I think it's a faster way to draft a complete story than writing actual prose. At least for me. I have a problem in that I can't help trying to create the flow and energy and mood, even on the first draft of a story, which is a waste of effort given how much gets tossed on editing.

Interesting.  I found myself writing the story first, then converting it to the visual medium.  

First time screenwriter here, so I guess that makes me a newbie, although this is technically my fifth NYCM competition.  I am addicted!  It's a great way to force me to commit to writing, even though my life is super busy.  This part is just for me.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by GenieAZ GenieAZ wrote:

Interesting.  I found myself writing the story first, then converting it to the visual medium.  

First time screenwriter here, so I guess that makes me a newbie, although this is technically my fifth NYCM competition.  I am addicted!  It's a great way to force me to commit to writing, even though my life is super busy.  This part is just for me.

Haha, I still start out that way, especially if I am still looking for a plot - 
nothing beats putting something on paper to get me going. But once I have enough
direction though it is onto the screenplay software - with these tight time
limits I find I don't have a moment to spare.
Doobeedoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doobeedoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 3:38pm
This was my first time entering a challenge, first time writing in 15 years, first time writing a short film (esp under 5 pages!), and definitely my first time writing Fantasy! Ooof. I was paralyzed for a few hours, and then had a blast. Can’t wait to read everyone’s scripts!
TinoG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinoG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 7:09pm
I have been unfortunate to post my work on sites only to find out they were a scam taking my money and never ever considering my work. I’m hoping this to be my first real competition as I hope to put myself out there and learn to love my craft and all the replies I get back. Here is to more writing fun. More creation in the making. 

Edited by TinoG - 28 Aug 2021 at 3:08am
DawnSellers View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DawnSellers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 11:27pm
I have wanted to enter this challenge for so long and I am finally here.  This is the first time writing a short and I've never written a fairy tale, so of course that was my assigned genre.  I guess that is the challenge part, right? It was fun and this is shaping up to be all I had hoped for.  I love the supportive forum and look forward to reading others' work.

SSC22 CH1 G32
SC22 R1 G39     
SSC21 CH1 G32 - 15th
SSC21 CH2 G32 - 6th
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>