NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

November Screenwriting Battle has started

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: November Screenwriting Battle has started
    Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 12:38pm
This screenwriting challenge was born out of the NYC Midnight forums. It's a competition for screenwriters, by screenwriters. Every participant is also a judge. You have four days to write 10 pages, then after submitting, you must give feedback and judge six other scripts in different genres than your own. The four winners of the competition all split the Cash Prize Pool. We also have professional judges that determine the four winners out of the final 8 scripts:
Diane Drake (What Women Want, Only You)
Glenn Gers (Fracture, Mad Money)
Pamela Kay ( Academy Nicholl Fellow, 33K Subscribers on her screenwriting YouTube channel Word Dancer)
Donald H. Hewitt (English-language screenplays for Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro)

It's fun and and relatively cheap to join Smile

Edit: Oh! And if you're worried about the November Battle interfering with the third round of the Short Screenplay NYC Midnight contest, our competition will be over by then. They don't really over-lap. What's cool about our contest is that it starts and ends in less-than 3 weeks. Feedback and results are super quick!

Edited by maxbjork - 07 Nov 2021 at 10:26am
nickwascreative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickwascreative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 1:09am
Thanks, Max. Just signed up. Can't wait! 

I have a kid on the way in September, but I'm planning on being out of the groggy sleep-deprivation daze by then, but who knows, could make things interesting! 

For those who haven't partaken in a battle yet, I competed in the last one in May and it was so much fun. You have limited re-draws for prompts and genres, so you might be able to cater it more to what you're comfortable.

Highly recommend it!

**This is NOT a paid endorsement.** LOL
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 4:12am
Originally posted by nickwascreative nickwascreative wrote:

Thanks, Max. Just signed up. Can't wait! 

I have a kid on the way in September, but I'm planning on being out of the groggy sleep-deprivation daze by then, but who knows, could make things interesting! 

Thanks Nick! Congrats on the baby due in September! Is this your first? I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old, and from my experience, the sleep-deprived groggy stage continues for the first 12 months haha; however, from 0-3 months, babies typically heavily rely on the mother (for comfort, food, etc)... not that you won't be busy, but for my two kids I found that stage easier than the rest of the first year. Plus you'll be on such a high. Sounds like a perfect time to write!

Again, congrats. Make sure to let us all know what stats your baby rolls. Tongue

Edited by maxbjork - 08 Aug 2021 at 4:13am
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 7:00pm
Just signed up for this. Looking forward to it. My first foray into Screenwriting was this year. I'll familiarise myself with the rules etc. in a few days. Any and all tips appreciated nearer the time. 

Cheers! 

Ním.Smile

Edited by Nimhathuna - 08 Aug 2021 at 7:01pm
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Nimhathuna Nimhathuna wrote:

Just signed up for this. Looking forward to it. My first foray into Screenwriting was this year. I'll familiarise myself with the rules etc. in a few days. Any and all tips appreciated nearer the time. 

Cheers! 

Ním.Smile

Awesome Ním! Glad to have you on board. It should be fun! The email I use for the site is admin@screenwritingbattle.com. My name is Max -- feel free to send any questions my way. There's quite a few people on this board who have done well in the competition. You might recognize some of the names here: Past Winners If you click on "Read Interview" under their names, the last interview Q/A has tips from the winners. Might be fun to start there!

Cheers! Nice meeting you, and good luck in November.
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 8:29am
[/QUOTE]
Awesome Ním! Glad to have you on board. It should be fun! The email I use for the site is admin@screenwritingbattle.com. My name is Max -- feel free to send any questions my way. There's quite a few people on this board who have done well in the competition. You might recognize some of the names here: Past Winners If you click on "Read Interview" under their names, the last interview Q/A has tips from the winners. Might be fun to start there!

Cheers! Nice meeting you, and good luck in November.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate it.

Edited by Nimhathuna - 09 Aug 2021 at 8:29am
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 11:09am
Just signed up for the November Battle! I missed this friendly competition, since I had to skip the May one 'cuz I was really busy with work and moving to a new apartment. Stoked to see the cool sets of eyeballs that will be perusing the final scripts -- so it'd be extra rewarding to (potentially) make it to the end. Best of luck, all, and thanks Max for being a rockstar!

-EJ
-EJ
Moves Like (Diet) Mick Jagger Screenplay G31 (RomCom)
All my NYCM entries :)
jbee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 12:12pm
Hi Max!

This looks like a blast! The post and email promise 50% off, but the linked website is only offering 25% off. How do we get the 50% off? 

Thanks!
jbee
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by pondsandfrogs pondsandfrogs wrote:

Just signed up for the November Battle! I missed this friendly competition, since I had to skip the May one 'cuz I was really busy with work and moving to a new apartment. Stoked to see the cool sets of eyeballs that will be perusing the final scripts -- so it'd be extra rewarding to (potentially) make it to the end. Best of luck, all, and thanks Max for being a rockstar!

-EJ

Thanks EJ!! I saw that you joined today and am excited you're competing in November. I'm a big fan of your writing. I won't be surprised to see your name on some big film project in the near future -- I mean that. Also, thanks again for letting me use your quote and picture on the homepage.

Originally posted by jbee jbee wrote:

Hi Max!

This looks like a blast! The post and email promise 50% off, but the linked website is only offering 25% off. How do we get the 50% off? 

Thanks!
jbee

Hey jbee! The super-early deadline was last night at 11:59PM EST, before switching to $15 (25% Off). It's now 25% off until Oct 3rd, before going to full price ($20). I will update the topic headline/original post to reflect this. When I posted this topic, there was still 36 hours left (same as the email). Sorry for the mix-up.

I'm the world's most noob businessman, but price deadlines have been really effective so far. They're used to entice people to sign up instead of doing it last minute. If I didn't have super-early/early deadlines, then everyone would just sign up the day-before, and for 6 months I wouldn't be able to predict the number of participants. If I'm not able to predict the number of participants, then that makes it impossible to know how much money to spend on advertising. Even with the deadlines, likely 33% of people will sign up the day-before.

I wish I could just sign you up for 50% off and make an exception, but there's been a few people (including EJ) that signed up after the super-early deadline, and I would have to get into refunds for those people, change some code on the site, etc... It's not that simple.

Truly, if anyone reading this is curious about budget, and costs to run a competition like this, please DM me or email me. I'm an open book.

Again, sorry for the mix-up. I hope you still decide to sign-up. I promise it will be fun!
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 5:21pm
Well, you know I'm in. It's fun to see so many familiar faces that will be there, too. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>