NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Open Letter to everyone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (16) Thanks(16)   Quote VeeRob3299 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open Letter to everyone
    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 2:51pm
To all the competitors:   

You all completely amaze and blow me away with your imaginations, your writing skills, your senses of humour. I feel very fortunate to have found NYC Midnight. I come to this site daily now and I am consistently amazed by the quality of the writing on display here. As someone who loves to write, thank you all for your constant inspiration!   Clap
I never want to be a writer who writes by 'formula', aside from the basics. I want my inner voice to speak through my writing. Some people may like it, some may not, but I have to write for myself. Thank you to those who have left kind and/or constructive comments. I read them carefully and try to learn from everything.

To the NYC Midnight Org: 

I've been here since May of this year. The MF100 was my first voyage into what I have found to be a very addictive process. Winning or losing doesn't really matter to me in grand scheme of things. The Flash Fiction 1000 is also a lot of fun, and it forces us to exercise different literary muscles. I love being in the thick of of the process, the edits, the re-writes, the back and forth over this word or that word, which one is more effective, which one sounds better. It really gets the creative juices flowing, and I can't thank you enough. Thank you for all you do. I think I'll be here for a while.   Clap

Edited by VeeRob3299 - 28 Jul 2021 at 3:02pm
nickofnight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote nickofnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 3:15pm
What a kind message! Really glad you’re enjoying it, and I can relate to a lot of what you said. I think I joined 3 or 4 years ago and still love it as much as ever. It’s pushed me to improve (still is) which is all I can ask for, and I’ve met some lovely people too. 

Hope you join the short story comp when it rolls around - that’s my favourite :)
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 6:04pm

What a lovely post. I must admit I'm not in the least formulaic either when it comes to writing. When the muse hits, the pen moves. I wish you oodles of luck in all your future endeavours. All the best, Ním.

jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 11:19pm
The contest itself is pretty lame, with the random judging meaning results are always a bit of a crapshoot. 

The forums are what we're really paying for. If I didn't enter I wouldn't have a reason to hang out here, so I keep going.
LoriN View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote LoriN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 11:20pm
I also started NYC Midnight in May with the Microfiction 100 and then entered Flash Fiction in July. I feel the exact same way as the OP.  It's been a great summer, full of community and learning. Thank you everyone and thank you NYC Midnight!

Edited by LoriN - 28 Jul 2021 at 11:20pm
Lori
Bowbina76 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Bowbina76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 4:26pm
Same!  The stories and the forum is the reason I come back.
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 4:58pm
Love this post so much! Yes! Let’s keep the negativity out of this thread, or ignore it if it appears here. The world is what we make it. Let’s keep making this a beautiful home for storytelling. Your post put a huge smile on my face. Thank you! 
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
Sumitra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Sumitra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 5:07am
Hey veerob, thanks for the love. It’s what the world needs, isn’t it. Thank you for being so open and generous with your heart. I started in may with you too, and like you have been similarly inspired. Thank you for adding to the safety and respect of the space. My best wishes, love and respect to you. Sumitra 
F2 https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic43730_post456204.html#456204
SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 5:56am
I find the contest and contestants spectacular, rewarding great plots and good writing. I'm grateful to have found NYC Midnight. Thanks veerob for this thread.
CathyM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CathyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 3:27pm
Yes, NYCM is a great place to get you started and keep your imagination soaring. The different prompts and the encouraging and constructive feedback fellow writers give is priceless. Welcome to the addiction center!

Rnd 1 FF Little Dick Rnd2 The Box
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>