NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone not submit? or nearly not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLMartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 9:01am
Due to family obligations, I didn't get the time I wanted either.  I did manage to get something submitted in the word limit, and am very thankful to 11:59 Workshop for helping me review it in the last possible minutes. 

I think that happens a lot for people out here, but thankfully, the NYCM community is wonderfully helpful, encouraging, and we all know you will not hit your best work every time. Managing to submit anything is an accomplishment in and of itself and worthy of praise!

That said, I am much happier how my Flash turned out than my Writer's Playground, but I will continue to write another day. :)

Edited by SLMartin - 19 Jul 2021 at 9:02am
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 9:05am
Originally posted by SLMartin SLMartin wrote:

Due to family obligations, I didn't get the time I wanted either.  I did manage to get something submitted in the word limit, and am very thankful to 11:59 Workshop for helping me review it in the last possible minutes. 

I think that happens a lot for people out here, but thankfully, the NYCM community is wonderfully helpful, encouraging, and we all know you will not hit your best work every time. Managing to submit anything is an accomplishment in and of itself and worthy of praise!

That said, I am much happier how my Flash turned out than my Writer's Playground, but I will continue to write another day. :)

That's a wonderful and true comment. Quite a few times I am racing the clock to that deadline, and completely overcome with nervousness that Something Will Go Wrong.

This was nearly true for this contest. I was staring dully at my screen near the end, completely exhausted by the work I was doing, and could not make my mind do one more creative thing.

Whatever I came up with is the best I could do.

And I typically enjoy the entire experience of terror and anxiety and pleasure and surprise. I suppose this is why people like roller coasters.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

TaraS3 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TaraS3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 1:48pm
I came close.  When I got my prompts I was fine with losing the price of admission, and decided to prioritize self care over trying to write political satireLOL  And then something hit me the next day and I cranked it out in about three hours and am fairly satisfied with it. I've definitely gotten to the point where I'm not going to kill myself though if I just can't come up with anything.
Micro 2022

R1
Into the Fire

wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 12:25pm
Life got in the way and I didn't manage to submit. But I just realized it's two stories for round one, so I am now feeling excited about participating in September. Even though I won't make it to the next round with half a score missing, I will still get the benefit of feedback and sharing on the forums, which is really the best part anyway! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123