NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the thread rating feature useful?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 1:42am
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Hahahha oh man. Either this is happening to more than one person, or you're definitely talking about me

Definitely you. Just didn't call you out by name as you didn't strike me as the type to be too concerned.

I always wonder about one-star ratings on anyone's story or thread. For me, one-star is like, your story was flat out racist or something—problems beyond writing quality or execution. Others are, perhaps, more hardcore with ratings, and that's their prerogative.

But in your case, it really seems like you've made an impression on someone.

Yeah, I definitely agree with all the above! It's a bizarre move to be sure. I hope whoever it is feels better now and can move on, or can at least content themselves with leaving other people out of it ;)

Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

Ouch.

I thought it was a bit of an unspoken agreement here that if you genuinely don't like someone's story, you either give them some (constructive!) feedback, or just move on. 1 star ratings don't help anyone, and when they're targeted like that it becomes pretty obvious the motivation is really just pettiness or jealousy.

Hey, I'll admit I'm jealous of taaaylor's writing too. Buuut rather than flinging passive aggressive stars across the forums, I've taken it as motivation to improve and joined the Shameless Groupie Squad instead. ;)

Right? I hope someone's just had too much wine and a bad night and will sheepishly move on from it all in the morning. Really weird behavior all around.

Also, you're way too sweet <3 I remember your flash from the 2020 FF final. I thought you did great, so it makes my heart extra warm to hear (read) you say that. Thank you for your crit by the way, and I look forward to returning it soon!

Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

Huh, AineKnees got one-starred too.

I think we may be unintentionally stuck in a thriller or crime caper subplot. Due to conservation of characters...

...dangit, I'm not the killer again, am I?

Uh oh I think you may be right. I'm calling dibs on writing this story in Challenge 2 - it's about time I wrote another mystery.

I can see it now: the killer poses as a detective, calling attention to the crime in order to avoid suspicion falling on themselves... It's the ultimate plot twist, the criminal hiding in plain sight pretending to ally with their own victims.

That's it - kristina_f, you're under arrest.

Ohh damn I bet she even one-starred herself to give herself an alibi! I threw a vote on the pile but could only do so much, lol. I really appreciate you guys taking this with such humor. I mean, to me it's so absurd it crosses straight into hilarious. I am sorry you all three got the incredible impotent ire of this anon just for posting about this, though Hug

Originally posted by Joan of Snark Joan of Snark wrote:

Well whoever is that jealous, they have reason to be. I went and read taaaylor's stories, and they're the sh*t. So I gave them all 5 stars (at least those I could find).
I think a much better use of this person's time would be to actually write instead of being petty and passive aggressive, but, eh, putting in an effort to improve is obviously not as fun as trying to put someone down. 

Oh gosh you're so kind! Thank you so much for reading x) I've got some stories to get through but I'm really excited to read your entry this round!

I can't say my feelings on that latter point are too different. There are plenty of better writers than me on this forum who motivate me to try harder and harder. We all succeed when we push each other to be better, honestly.
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
nickofnight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickofnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 2:23am
I was going to say they can rate mine if they want. But they already got me Stern Smile

One is the new five :) 
AineKnees View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AineKnees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 3:41am
Hee hee, this is all so weird, and very funny! I feel strangely proud to also have been one-starred LOL Whoever"s doing it really has their knickers in a twist! 
Nice to talk to all you lovely people. I'm gonna continue to give 5 star ratings in the best way and when I get time later I'll go read your stories. 

kata View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 9:18am
This is too funny.  And showing my full newbie status, I just never paid the stars any attention.  But working with teens, I can see how some may use it in a less than intended way.  5 stars for all who just made it through round 1, especially in genres way out of their norm.  I am loving it so far.
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by kata kata wrote:

This is too funny.  And showing my full newbie status, I just never paid the stars any attention.  But working with teens, I can see how some may use it in a less than intended way.  5 stars for all who just made it through round 1, especially in genres way out of their norm.  I am loving it so far.
Omg lol the one-star bandit got you too! I've done my best to offset it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this hilarious though. Comparing it to teenage behavior feels very appropriate to me 

Since whoever's doing it is still clearly reading this thread: you should try a new hobby. I hear writing is nice. 

SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by nickofnight nickofnight wrote:

I was going to say they can rate mine if they want. But they already got me Stern Smile

One is the new five :) 

I’m going to go do mine. Solidarity!

I wonder if they could go and do my micro100

Edit - I don’t think I can see the stars on mobile

Edit - apparently you cant rate your own posts - thankfully our friend has already done my FFC and micro100 (even though this story has been removed, I mean how can you rate it if you cant even read it??)

Edited by jimiflan2 - 22 Jul 2021 at 3:53am
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 1:49pm
I five-starred you to try to bring it up, Jimi

Edited by taaaylor - 30 Jul 2021 at 3:45am
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
nickofnight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickofnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 4:26pm
Well whoever was doing it, it’s over now. Stars look to be gone. Which I’m glad about as no one really used them anyway. 
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 5:01pm
Yay, thank you Charlie! :)
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12