NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone else hoping to see more from their group?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else hoping to see more from their group?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote tzumainn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

I disagree. And this remark of yours proves my point:

The moment anyone here starts insulting other writers to aggrandize themselves, they deserve every bit of social backlash they get.”

When the offender isn’t receiving admonishment to help him but because he deserves social backlash, then the forum itself is changing from a welcoming community to one of judgement and condemnation. People here have poked the bear enough; it is no wonder he has felt obligated to defend his position. 

Let it go. 

I’m only a lurker here, but this comment seems to me to be very wrong. The sequence of events is as follows:

1. A insults the writers in their group by insinuating that some stories that have made it to Round 2 are mediocre.
2. B steps in saying that diminishing the works of other writers should not be welcomed behavior in this forum.
3. C says that both A and B are in the wrong,

What? A’s comment was one of the most unwelcoming posts I’ve seen on this forum ever. If you’re saying that others can’t call that out as terrible behavior, then I don’t see how you can describe this forum as a “welcoming community” with a straight face.
Joan of Snark View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Joan of Snark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 3:12pm
I don't disagree with your sentiment of not piling on, sootfoot (which is why I've only been lurking and not replying until now) but I do wonder where was the spirit of welcoming community when the kind individual we're discussing was posting rants and calling judges dipsh*ts, to name just one of the things I saw them do. 

Seems to me like a pretty good lesson on not posting while you're emotional and sore about your results. 

I'm pretty new on the forums, so maybe that's standard fare around here, I don't know. But I don't wanna see it. So my thanks to people who have called out that crap.

And in my book it's good if eaintree takes some time away to maybe reconsider some things they said. Better than replying in anger. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So yeah let's let it go, including the tone policing. It's unnecessary. There was only a few replies anyway, and I'm sure many people have held off from adding to them. 
FF C3 Polsat - Stars Wheeled Overhead
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Joan of Snark Joan of Snark wrote:

I don't disagree with your sentiment of not piling on, sootfoot (which is why I've only been lurking and not replying until now) but I do wonder where was the spirit of welcoming community when the kind individual we're discussing was posting rants and calling judges dipsh*ts, to name just one of the things I saw them do. 

Seems to me like a pretty good lesson on not posting while you're emotional and sore about your results. 

I'm pretty new on the forums, so maybe that's standard fare around here, I don't know. But I don't wanna see it. So my thanks to people who have called out that crap.

And in my book it's good if eaintree takes some time away to maybe reconsider some things they said. Better than replying in anger. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So yeah let's let it go, including the tone policing. It's unnecessary. There was only a few replies anyway, and I'm sure many people have held off from adding to them. 

you are right, except in my mind it seemed like more than a few replies. But you reply in good spirit. I, for one, will let it go. 
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 3:45pm
Yikes, what did I step into here? The judges aren’t perfect and neither is anyone’s writing - we are all here to learn and grow together, and 99% of the time, we do so in a supportive environment. It’s okay to vent a bit but let’s try to help each other grow as artists, even when the judges get it wrong, which sometimes they do.

In my experience, the more risks I take in my writing, the higher I have scored generally - IF they are well executed. There is a space between what we write and what the reader reads and our job is to bridge that gap. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we don’t. Sometimes the judges get it right, sometimes they don’t.

To address the comment that has been made about wishing more people posted stories: I can’t speak for everyone, but I will share why I didn’t post mine. It has nothing to do with keeping my work secret from others. I used the forums very heavily in 2018 and 2019 and now have taken on other writing projects and just don’t have time to return reads like I used to. 

My piece wasn’t this brilliant masterwork like something by Asimov, as referenced earlier, but it was a goofy comedy and scored first in heat 104. If anyone wants to read it, PM me and I will send you a link, but I can’t edit my novel and give feedback to a dozen people on their work at the same time. I’d love to, and do occasional beta reads here when I can, but I just don’t have enough hours in the day anymore. Also, I am only willing to share with people who “play nice” on the forum. :)

I sincerely wish all of you the best in your writing, whether you have advanced or not. This is one comp. Writing is a passion, a craft. Dive into your beautiful words and try not to worry about haters.

Best,
-Alex

Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
whimsicalweasel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote whimsicalweasel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by tzumainn tzumainn wrote:

Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

I disagree. And this remark of yours proves my point:

The moment anyone here starts insulting other writers to aggrandize themselves, they deserve every bit of social backlash they get.”

When the offender isn’t receiving admonishment to help him but because he deserves social backlash, then the forum itself is changing from a welcoming community to one of judgement and condemnation. People here have poked the bear enough; it is no wonder he has felt obligated to defend his position. 

Let it go. 

I’m only a lurker here, but this comment seems to me to be very wrong. The sequence of events is as follows:

1. A insults the writers in their group by insinuating that some stories that have made it to Round 2 are mediocre.
2. B steps in saying that diminishing the works of other writers should not be welcomed behavior in this forum.
3. C says that both A and B are in the wrong,

What? A’s comment was one of the most unwelcoming posts I’ve seen on this forum ever. If you’re saying that others can’t call that out as terrible behavior, then I don’t see how you can describe this forum as a “welcoming community” with a straight face.

Honestly we have been dealing with entity A's ego and attitude for a while now.  He has more than earned a slap on the wrist, not that he will acknowledge it.  He is the pigeon that s**ts on the chess board and knocks all the pieces over and declares himself the winner.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567