NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Points to advance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by HardtobetheBard HardtobetheBard wrote:

Ah yes, looks like you are right, I got confused with the post above yours!

I think you are right - it would be awful to tie and be the one not advancing!  I also feel bad for the people who score in the low 20's and don't advance when there are those with only a total score of 15 or 16 advancing, but I guess that's just the luck of it all.

Edited by ajens - 21 Jul 2021 at 3:50pm
FFC R2:G118 Echoes of Summer
RadBadOrJustSad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RadBadOrJustSad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 6:51pm
A "wildcard" type group would be kind of cool - the 6th-place score from every group sort of thing. Or I guess since that's really just a "Top 6" now that I say it, maybe anyone with 20+ points who would have been eliminated in their group.
Pajamas All Day View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pajamas All Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 11:55pm
In 2018, I was in a four-way tie for fifth after writing two flash fiction stories. One person scored one point higher than me with their first story and they advanced. I didn't stop kicking my own ass for that for several weeks. Last year, I was fifth with my first story and sixth with my second but I came in third place after two stories because two of the people who scored higher than me with their first stories didn't get any points at all with their second stories. Flash fiction is my favorite NYC Midnight contest because we are assured the chance to write two stories. I've seen people score in the 15-16 range after two stories and make the next round while other people in other groups scored in the 20-22 range and didn't advance. Moral of the story: don't get too cocky or too down after writing your first story because you'll always get a chance to do better or worse with your second story.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123