NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Signed up for the Flash Fiction - yeeha!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 5:40pm
Definitely in. 
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 6:03pm
Last year's Flash was also my first NYCM contest, and first writing contest I'd ever entered. I've entered every NYCM contest since, and it feels like the beginning of a new year. My goal is to do better than I did last year (I managed 1 point total between the first two stories). So we'll see. 
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 6:26pm
Last year's Flash was also my first dipping of a literary toe in the water. However, I'm giving this one a miss. Donning the academic hat for a while. Priorities rule. Smile
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 6:39pm
I love Flash but always crap out in the semifinals. Ah well, what else am I going to do with 50 bucks??

Edited by manifestlynot - 07 Jun 2021 at 6:39pm
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
VeeRob3299 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeeRob3299 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 10:58am
I signed up for the Flash Fiction event too.  If I make it past the first round in 100 word Microfiction, I'll have two challenges in the month of July.  This should be fun.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:39am
Oh.  Poo.  Round two is right smack in the middle of what should be my first vacation since May of 2019. 

Might go visit the northeast since I don't do masks and Europe is still in panic mode.  We'll see how well sanity spreads.
This sig intentionally blank
jhenn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 2:29pm
Just paid my entry fee. 

My first Flash Fiction entry (another comp) ended up with an HM and published in a short story collection. I kind of shake my fist at them now, since it made me think I could do this well... Dang. 

The process is the fun part, and I learn something every time. Right? Right???!?
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Oh.  Poo.  Round two is right smack in the middle of what should be my first vacation since May of 2019. 

Might go visit the northeast since I don't do masks and Europe is still in panic mode.  We'll see how well sanity spreads.

Why are you making passive aggressive digs on a writing forum? 'Sanity spreads' has negative implications on views I am sure many on these forums hold. It's a divisive and stressful topic that has nothing to do with these forums and there is already so much commentary, debate, and even public rallies on it elsewhere. 

If your story prompts came up and you used them to make scathing commentary on this subject, I'd be 100% on your side for sharing your vision and views. But the forums do stick mostly to writing and the contests.

At the very least, from a purely writer's craft perspective, if you're going to do this sort of thing, can you not make the segue so ugly? It's contrived. 

Edited by kristina_f - 09 Jun 2021 at 3:29pm
FFC2 GR68: the astronomer
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 3:19pm
Also paid up today. Today I'm thinking more about the entry fee than the contest, but by tomorrow that will flip and I'll feel good about it.

Provided money isn't an issue in a given year, I think I'll do flash, micro, micro. Maybe some day I'll have a go at one of the screenplay challenges just to see. 
FFC2 GR68: the astronomer
NMiller View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 4:35pm
I'm in, just signed up. Competitions appear to be the only way to get me writing these days.
Wacky prompts ahoy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>