NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2, how you doing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 11:26pm
I have a first draft, but I'm about to read it and find out if it makes any sense (spoiler, it probably doesn't). I really hate my prompt: horror/a buyout/a poultryman. Also, I had horror in the first round Confused, was not keen for it again haha. Oh well, name of the game I guess. How's everyone else doing? Anyone else hating their prompt? How are my group 8 peeps doing?

Good luck everyone!
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Mister_Write Mister_Write wrote:

I have a first draft, but I'm about to read it and find out if it makes any sense (spoiler, it probably doesn't). I really hate my prompt: horror/a buyout/a poultryman. Also, I had horror in the first round Confused, was not keen for it again haha. Oh well, name of the game I guess. How's everyone else doing? Anyone else hating their prompt? How are my group 8 peeps doing?

Good luck everyone!

Don't like my genre and wish I had yours. If only to take the term "poultryman" and mess around with it completely. haha. Can horror also be comedic? I think so.

Good luck and judging by your last entry, maybe horror is your thing? Smile
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 3:16am
Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Don't like my genre and wish I had yours. If only to take the term "poultryman" and mess around with it completely. haha. Can horror also be comedic? I think so.

Good luck and judging by your last entry, maybe horror is your thing? Smile

Thanks! It seems to be mostly coming together. I think haha. Yeah I don't mind writing horror on occasion, but I don't read/watch a lot of it, so I've got constant paranoia that I'm falling into tropes. But as long as it makes sense I'm happy at this point :P.

What's your genre? Best of luck, hope it's coming together.
g_howie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g_howie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 5:18am
Originally posted by catnamedeaster catnamedeaster wrote:

I've got 6 pages of a first draft and I just don't know. I'll also be looking for beta readers, probably tomorrow afternoon. 

@g_howie - That list was for the first round, but hopefully another will be started for this one. Smile

You're almost there- hopefully those last 2 pages will help pull it together for you! I'm sure you'll feel better with it after a wee break from it (that usually helps me out)
g_howie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote g_howie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 5:23am

Good luck everyone!

I'm so intrigued to see what you do with those prompts!? That combination would make a really fun black comedy. Sending you good vibes, I hope your story grows on you, I'm sure it makes more sense than you think - look forward to reading it! 
g_howie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g_howie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 5:29am
Originally posted by pentailed pentailed wrote:

Hey, lots of heat-mates here! I'm also group 14.

My god, I'm earning a glass today. Its been pissing down rain all day, which has helped keep me in my chair. Usually I"m an inveterate procrastinator, and this contest is really challenging me on that front.

Last scene planned and waiting to be written, getting very nervous about the whole thing but screw it, I'm thrilled to be writing this weekend. Who knows, maybe I can even proofread this time around!

Haha, that's the best method, just throw caution to the wind and embrace the nerves. Usually rain is a standard here in Scotland, which is really helpful to encourage staying inside - but today is glorious sunshine, so I need to go and top up my vitamin D while I can (translation: i don't want to open my document again, so I'm going outside :P ) 
g_howie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g_howie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 5:32am
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

I may have crashed and burned - I usually stretch the genre but in this case it is not remotely within the genre! There's still another day, but...yikes.

I feel I've stretched the 'foreigner' prompt the same way, that's something I need to improve in my edit. Whatever 'fantasy' element you've got in the story, could you dial that up a bit to help compensate? Good think - think of that glass of wine!  
g_howie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g_howie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 5:37am

I was so worried about getting romance that I forgot to worry about getting Crime Caper. Got Crime Caper/a forgery/a cleaner.
Idea came in a snap. Wrote all 5 pages in one fell swoop and then realized it was 8 pages.
And then my personal caper began.

Final Draft to PDF to test since it wouldn't convert last time.
Not working this time either and no title issues.
Reformat manually with word..
Converting as advised by Mr.Google and my 8 pages plus title page converted to 9 in the new format. With no title page.
Reformat from WORD to PDF. Lost all formatting again AND it changed the all caps parts. Still no page numbers.
Ate some junk food, got more coffee.

Then went from RTF to pdf and had to lose two spaces because the page numbers weren't accepted again.

Soooo, story is humming along fine, not sure if it's technically a crime caper though. Ideas doing well. Computer skills, not so much.

And a minute ago my computer froze solid when I tried to send the draft to a reader friend.
Need to take a break from the story so I started reading here.

Oh no - that's so frustrating!! If you are in red alert zone, could you copy/paste rebuild it through a free software like Celtx or Trelby? I'm a final draft user and not seen something like this before - sounds like it'd be worth sending customer service a message. Good luck pal!! 
Birdie Num Num View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Birdie Num Num Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 6:34am

I was so worried about getting romance that I forgot to worry about getting Crime Caper. Got Crime Caper/a forgery/a cleaner.
Idea came in a snap. Wrote all 5 pages in one fell swoop and then realized it was 8 pages.
And then my personal caper began.

Final Draft to PDF to test since it wouldn't convert last time.
Not working this time either and no title issues.
Reformat manually with word..
Converting as advised by Mr.Google and my 8 pages plus title page converted to 9 in the new format. With no title page.
Reformat from WORD to PDF. Lost all formatting again AND it changed the all caps parts. Still no page numbers.
Ate some junk food, got more coffee.

Then went from RTF to pdf and had to lose two spaces because the page numbers weren't accepted again.

Soooo, story is humming along fine, not sure if it's technically a crime caper though. Ideas doing well. Computer skills, not so much.

And a minute ago my computer froze solid when I tried to send the draft to a reader friend.
Need to take a break from the story so I started reading here.

It can be 5 pages if you wanted, if the story calls for it to be that long. You just can't go over 8 pages, that's the limit for round 2. I've submitted 8/9 page scripts for round 1 before, that's 12 page limit.

I hope you sort out your technical glitches before the deadline.

I've nearly finished my first pass then I'll go over it again and again until nighttime.
SkylerAutumn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerAutumn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 9:41am
My eyes are blurry and the script just looks like a jumble of incoherent words now. 
So that's where I'm at. Bloody Historical Fiction my dread of all dreads. 

Edited by SkylerAutumn - 30 May 2021 at 9:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>