NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stories Inspired by OTHER Groups

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KateHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by LRS LRS wrote:

Anyone else interested in practicing by writing & posting some stories based on the assignments of groups other than their own, just for fun while we wait for R1 results?

I'm in G34, but I recently wrote stories for two different groups after seeing their assignments (mostly to practice with the unfamiliar genre).

This is the challenge I've set myself to practice writing 250 word micro stories! Just for fun and practice, because I've never attempted it before but plan to enter next year's challenge, so I need to build those streamlined muscles. Smile
irmelsa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irmelsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:28pm

I was literally just coming on the forum to create this post. Great minds think alike.

I am in group 3 and did Comedy, but wanted to try out some other prompts.

11 - Suspense and/or Thriller / Sprinting / beyond

***Content Warning*** implied sexual assault, language

Rivulets of sweat run the curve of my spine.  I feel disgusting when I run, so I jog in the dark.  Something my mother always warns me about, but who wants a fatass like me.  I hear the catcall as I cross the footbridge.  Mocking prick.  The footfalls echo mine; I speed up.  Don’t flatter yourself.  A whistle rips through the night around me.  I start sprinting.  Main street’s just beyond that gate.  This isn’t happening.  I hear the hard thwack as his shoes hit the path behind me.  Another steps out before me. Oh God, I’m so sorry, Mom.

54 - Drama / Bumping into someone / version

There’s always that moment when you bump into someone you used to know.  The one where you size them up and you know they’re doing the same.  Where you reflect on the versions of yourselves you both used to be.  That’s the moment when you decide if you’re going to act like you’ve never met them before.  And when he turns the corner and slides his ringed hand into hers, it sears right through me.  Like we never existed.  Like I made it all up.  Molly cries and I stop the stroller to comfort her.  “We don’t need him anyway.”

FFCH2
Token of Affection
MF250 R1
Hey, Babe
irmelsa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irmelsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:31pm

Anyone else interested in practicing by writing & posting some stories based on the assignments of groups other than their own, just for fun while we wait for R1 results?

I'm in G34, but I recently wrote stories for two different groups after seeing their assignments (mostly to practice with the unfamiliar genre).

Hey you did my group, and I have to say, when I got my prompt Dana Carvey was the first thing that came to mind.
FFCH2
Token of Affection
MF250 R1
Hey, Babe
irmelsa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irmelsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by ladyofcats ladyofcats wrote:

Originally posted by wisemel wisemel wrote:

You saved me so much time!

Glad it came in handy, thankyou!

Here's my attempt at what may or may not count as a Romantic Comedy:

85 - Romantic Comedy / Crumpling up paper / Steady

Dymo Love

It was his own fault, really. He'd thought the label-maker would be fun - she loved categorisation. Hands unsteady, he’d embossed his love into every ‘click’.

If only he hadn’t lost his place. Distracted by her enquiring smile, he’d missed a letter.

They had their labels now alright - her a jilter, him a hot mess. A crumpled page of unspoken vows discovered outside the church. Now, he stared blurrily at the faded black tape stuck on the fridge, raised letters still visible in bone-white.

"WILL YOU MARR ME?"

And her response aligned neatly below, "OF COURSE."

---

R1 G29 Cohabitant

I don't want to put this out into the universe and jinx myself, but I'm absolutely terrified of romance and rom/com.  This was definitely the kind of cutesy story I feel certain I can't write, lol.  
FFCH2
Token of Affection
MF250 R1
Hey, Babe
LRS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 10:29am
Originally posted by ladyofcats ladyofcats wrote:

I don't want to put this out into the universe and jinx myself, but I'm absolutely terrified of romance and rom/com.  This was definitely the kind of cutesy story I feel certain I can't write, lol.  

THIS! so much the same.
LRS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 7:08am
Originally posted by irmelsa irmelsa wrote:

Hey you did my group, and I have to say, when I got my prompt Dana Carvey was the first thing that came to mind.

I couldn't NOT write that one. 
KateHJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:53pm

Your ghost story is a killer!! (Truly though, how horrifying.) Loved it!
FerretKittyMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FerretKittyMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 1:51pm
78 Romance/ Making an apology/ vivid

I've never really dabbled in romance before. This story was inspired by my best friend who recently passed away. She met her husband (also deceased) at the library, tho not like this LOL She commented on a book he was looking at, he commented on hers, then they discussed authors and books and music and...... They were together 22 years, married for 7. (I did gender swap them. Her name was Troye, his Jim) 

Booking a Date

"Ouch"

"Shoot, I'm so sorry!"

She looked down into vivid blue eyes. Finally a cute guy in the library and she dropped a book on him.

"It's a good one, anyways. I've read it three times," she blushed.

He scowled up at her, flipped the book over and read the title.

"It's actually one of my favorites," he grumbled. 

She stepped off the ladder. "Hey, let's go next door and I'll buy you an apology coffee. To make up for me being such a klutz"

"Just don't spill it on me." He smiled.

Hand extended, "I'm Jem"

Hand taken, "Troy"
Rhyming2 Vacation Vexation

Rhyming1Stella
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12