NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bad 100 word stories!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SLMartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Bridget Bridget wrote:

I love this thread LOL

Group 20: Ghost story/Losing a coin/Field

The Thing That Happened on a Spooky Day Where Everything Was Spooky and Ghostly and Maybe a Bit Scary

There was a bunch of people in front of me but I didn’t know which one was the ghost. Because everyone knows there’s a ghost, but they don’t know who it is. Well they shouldn’t. Until they find out in like, an incredible twist. There was a ghost, guys!  Can you believe it?

Anyway. Is it David with the big wart? Or Sigrid with the clubfoot. Or Ahmed with the eyepatch. Or Lucinda who’s just perfect and boring.

Yes, you have to remember all the names.

Ok, off to the field now where I’ll be losing a coin. Apparently.

I vote eyepatch.  Ghost pirates are even better.
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Iressa Iressa wrote:

Fun!

Ghost story, wiping away a tear.  Favor. 

Cepa Exspiravit 

From the kitchen, a pungent stinging odor wafts. Dishes rattle.

“Wooooooooo.” 

I enter.

In gossamer webs of shadowy aura filtering through the fluorescent lighting and hanging like a misty vision is the glowing sinister apparition of Chef Boyardee. 

He has my favorite knife.

“Wooooooooo.” 

He is whacking. 

Slicing

Hewing.

Cleaving. 

He is hacking phantasmic onions which, once butchered, once decimated, once slaughtered, float apart like tattered sails of a ghostly pirate ship in a storm. 

He wipes away non corporeal tears.  

So many layers to his pain.  “Woooooooooo.”

Another tear. 

He keeps dicing.  

We both cry. 

Welcome to Hell’s Kitchen.

Chef Boyardee and Hell’s Kitchen, love it!
alelha View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote alelha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 11:07am
This was more fun than I thought! Maybe rom-com is my new genre! Smile

Rom Com/trying something new/manage

Your Lane or Mine?

Maude tossed back her perm and lifted her chin. Her horoscope advised to try something new today. She held the selfie stick at a forty-five degree angle. A selfie on the Olympic relay track? Why not?

Art, a wisp of a man with bones like crackers jogged past. He had managed to read the same horoscope (obviously). The force of the collision with Maude’s tool of vanity knocked him backwards. “My hip,” he yelled.

Maude bent over and spotted Art through hazy cataracts. Her knees turned to jelly. Art rolled onto his side and winked. “Your lane or mine?”

Sumitra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sumitra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by alelha alelha wrote:

This was more fun than I thought! Maybe rom-com is my new genre! Smile

Rom Com/trying something new/manage

Your Lane or Mine?

Maude tossed back her perm and lifted her chin. Her horoscope advised to try something new today. She held the selfie stick at a forty-five degree angle. A selfie on the Olympic relay track? Why not?

Art, a wisp of a man with bones like crackers jogged past. He had managed to read the same horoscope (obviously). The force of the collision with Maude’s tool of vanity knocked him backwards. “My hip,” he yelled.

Maude bent over and spotted Art through hazy cataracts. Her knees turned to jelly. Art rolled onto his side and winked. “Your lane or mine?”

Bones like crackers!!! Love it. Well done. 
F2 https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic43730_post456204.html#456204
Sparker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Sparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 2:36am
i feel this thread needs a sticky and a master list. 

stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 5:18pm
The problem is all of these stories sound like what I would write if given a 100-word restriction. I mean, some of us just need to release our inner Bulwer Lytton.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:08am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

The problem is all of these stories sound like what I would write if given a 100-word restriction. I mean, some of us just need to release our inner Bulwer Lytton.

haha, yep!
I keep seeing the words I overuse in the really bad ones. Embarrassed

Have you seen the Bulwer Lytton 2020 awards? omg, the Children's Story Dishonorable Award!
Ruined Charlotte's Web for life! Or maybe made it better..
aao View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:59pm
I also laughed out loud at the wasted words and the overall wishy-washiness. Wink I really appreciate your sense of humor. I'm a bit heartbroken at not making it to the next round, so I appreciate this levity! 
Sparker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 12:24am
Well, we were bummed at not making the next round and decided to provide moral support for the finalists by writing the worst 100 word stories alongside their competitive ones.  We assigned each other the cringey genres we didn't want and had a huge laugh. 

I was assigned Romance and Historical Fiction. 

GenieAZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GenieAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Sparker Sparker wrote:

Well, we were bummed at not making the next round and decided to provide moral support for the finalists by writing the worst 100 word stories alongside their competitive ones.  We assigned each other the cringey genres we didn't want and had a huge laugh. 

I was assigned Romance and Historical Fiction. 

Outstanding!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>