NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beta Sheet 100 word Micro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beta Sheet 100 word Micro
    Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:35am
Hi all, 

I saw some posts asking about the sheet or asking for betas but didn't see the actual sheet, so I made one. 

Please DON'T filter - if you want to filter or make changes, copy and paste into your own sheet. Everyone has editing capabilities so making your own changes/filters makes it weird for everyone else :)

Edit:

How to use the beta sheet:

1) Click on the link and add your name and info to the next available line in the document
2) Check for the status of "Open" - if someone is listed as "Closed" they are not currently accepting new stories
- also look for people who don't list your genre as one of their least favorites - they may be open to reading for you, but if there are others available, try those people first
- DO NOT send to people in your own group
3) Email or DM the person/people you'd like to look at your story
- If emailing more than one, it is best practice to email yourself and add the others as a BCC
4) Include any specifics you'd like the beta reader to pay attention to: grammar, use of prompts, etc. Do you need a final read through just to make sure things are good to go? Do you need a detailed critique? 
5) Return the favor! Or, if you are unable to, let them know beforehand so they aren't expecting a response

Edited by NERdling - 15 May 2021 at 2:37pm
surnica View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surnica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:38am
Originally posted by NERdling NERdling wrote:

Hi all, 

I saw some posts asking about the sheet or asking for betas but didn't see the actual sheet, so I made one. 

Please DON'T filter - if you want to filter or make changes, copy and paste into your own sheet. Everyone has editing capabilities so making your own changes/filters makes it weird for everyone else :)

Thank you!

Edited by surnica - 15 May 2021 at 9:51am
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:02am
Awesome, thanks!
swilki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swilki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:57am
How does it work? sorry to sound so clueless but can I just message anyone?
surnica View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surnica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:48am
Originally posted by swilki swilki wrote:

For the most part, yes.  Don't share with anyone in your same group.  If their line on the spreadsheet says "closed," they aren't accepting betas right now.  And then just check genres that the like/dislike to find a good fit.
swilki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:50am
Originally posted by surnica surnica wrote:

Originally posted by swilki swilki wrote:

For the most part, yes.  Don't share with anyone in your same group.  If their line on the spreadsheet says "closed," they aren't accepting betas right now.  And then just check genres that the like/dislike to find a good fit.
Thank you!
Alicerose456 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alicerose456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:25pm
How do I add myself to to the beta list?
NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Alicerose456 Alicerose456 wrote:

How do I add myself to to the beta list?

Hi!

Click the link and add your info in the next available line. Then, reach out to anyone who has "Open" as their status - make sure to contact them via email or DM if they indicate that's their preference. Also, avoid reaching out to anyone in your group or anyone who lists your genre as one of their least favorites. 

I usually say in my message "Hi, I'd love to trade reads with you," let them know specific feedback you're looking for (Are my characters ok? Do I include my action enough? Please check my grammar? Etc), and then include a link to my story. 

I'll put this in the original post too since I forgot when I posted :)
Alicerose456 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alicerose456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:48pm
Thank you so much. I have added my name. 

Michael R. Evans View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael R. Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 11:39pm
Thanks for doing this! Wish I saw this last weekend. Are you or anyone doing this for the short story challenge 3rd round? Or will this be used for this purpose? 
M
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>