NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on 100 word microfiction?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 22Cupcake22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 9:23pm
Good luck to everyone!  Let the weed pulling begin.  May we all have a beautiful, albeit tiny, garden tomorrow!

Edited by 22Cupcake22 - 14 May 2021 at 9:24pm
Millshre View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millshre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:09pm
I registered early for this and got super busy afterward. I almost forgot about tonight being the night. I'm extremely nervous all of a sudden. 

The SSC this year was my first NYCM contest. I only got HM but I'm so glad I entered. I had been avoiding my writing for a long time. 

I really hope I don't get Spy again, though....Confused
erica8385 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erica8385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:45pm
I hadn’t heard of NYCM before yesterday. Immediately signed up for this contest because it looks so fun! Excited to get my assignment. 
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by erica8385 erica8385 wrote:

I hadn’t heard of NYCM before yesterday. Immediately signed up for this contest because it looks so fun! Excited to get my assignment. 

Oh my goodness, welcome!! These contests are super fun, and many of us end up signing up for several of the contests each year! Even if you don't advance, the feedback you get from the community in the forums is really beneficial, and everyone's really supportive.

Good luck!
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Millshre Millshre wrote:

I registered early for this and got super busy afterward. I almost forgot about tonight being the night. I'm extremely nervous all of a sudden. 

The SSC this year was my first NYCM contest. I only got HM but I'm so glad I entered. I had been avoiding my writing for a long time. 

I really hope I don't get Spy again, though....Confused

You’ll be happy to know Spy is not a genre in the 100 MF contest. A few genres are cut due to the short length.  No Crime Caper, Mystery, or Political Satire either.
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:03am
You know, I didn't think I would like the 100 micro, but it ended up being fun in an unexpected way.

I ended up with a story that has about five extra phrases I cut that change the story, but not the plot because the plot is so damn minimal. The end result is that I could swap out some of what made the cut for some of what didn't and end up with a very different feeling story.

The end result is something that is highly aesthetic. You can't give the reader everything. You can just nudge them with a few key impressions and then wonder if they'll walk away with anything interesting.
Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:36am
Is there a limit on title length? Like could I have a 200 word title that gives some character background?

"Late Night: How a Neurotic Veterinarian Copes With The Loss Of  . . ."
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

Is there a limit on title length? Like could I have a 200 word title that gives some character background?

I've seen that a lot in published 100 word microfiction, I think it's totally fair game.
ChillyToez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

I expect that a 200 word title for a 100 word story might be a bit much, but a lot of people leverage their title to give more impact to micro. It's definitely a thing!
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:22pm
God, I was right the first time, this is stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>