NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on 100 word microfiction?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 4:50am
Originally posted by Steven Kay Steven Kay wrote:

I considered it, as a challenge, but I don't think microfiction is for me. 1,250 would be hard enough, if I got to Round 4 of this thing!

The Flash Fiction (1000 words in 48 hours) is good, and you get to write at least twice in that so it's probably the best guaranteed value for money NYCM offer (along with Short Screenplay).
JustinW View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 12:51pm
Hmmm. I came to this post because I'm struggling with the same choice. Was hoping something here would help me decide. I think it worked. I'm going for it. The price seems a little high, but I like the focus and I like that we're basically writing poetry.
SSC R1 - The Ungrateful One
SC'21 R1 - Hot Dog Soup
regannoelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regannoelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 3:39pm
I love the micro competitions, so I can’t resist this one. I had a blast last year and wrote work I really loved. I was intrigued to see that less people are moving on each round though as compared to last year. I wonder what caused the change?

Edited by regannoelle - 14 Apr 2021 at 3:40pm
Recon Paul View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 5:03pm
Last year's 100 word microfiction was the first the writing competition I ever entered.  I struggled really hard to whittle my story down to a thousand words.  Then I re-read the instructions and realized I had more work to do.  

I'm pretty new to this creative writing thing and just advanced in SS.  I will likely enter the MF because I'm on some sort of writing bender.  The word limitations are a good exercise fore me since I struggle with story arc and endings.  They force m to abandon my comfort zone of word-smithing and focus beginning, middle, end, conflict, resolution, etc.   
ophelialit74 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 2:27pm
I actually loved the MF contest and scored an HM in the Finals, so I was pretty pleased...AND I managed to crank out one of my favorite bits of writing ever, so I'm definitely in this year. 

There's something deliciously amusing about having plenty of time to write 100 words while agonizing  over every single one of them. :-) 
Rita View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 9:51pm
I like writing microfiction. It's challenging to create a complete story in so few words. 
Can't wait. 
Writing in Progress
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 10:11pm
My issue with the most recent contests is they don't tell you who the judges are and it looks like the judges for both contests I entered were the same people. They are still saying "coming soon" so before I enter another I'd like to see who they hired. It also appears that some feedback on this forum is pretty close to what is provided to entrants which of course is coincidental but it would be good to see who actually thinks our writing is good and who thinks it's the worst ever and they only like the synopsis.
bunkie68 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunkie68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 9:25am
I like the microfiction challenges because I'm not sure I can write anything longer! I am not a storyteller by nature, and ideas don't come naturally to me. It's easier for me to whittle down word count than try to expand it.
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 5:10pm
Considered entering but decided to give it a miss. I'm a bit fatigued from comps atm, and 100 word stories are not my forte. I entered last year and bombed and, looking at the ones which came top 10, I can see why. I think it requires a style which ... isn't really my style nor a style I tend to read. I also suspect you need to be smarter than me to really get a lot of the good stories. I might try next year if I'm in the mood (and my intelligence has increased, which is unlikely) :)

Edited by Draiglas - 03 May 2021 at 5:10pm
LAbeles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAbeles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 5:35pm
I'm in. I did the last 250 and was tickled to make it into the 2nd round. Also entered the Screenwriting Challenge too, so I figure while waiting for that result, I might as well have something else to bite my nails over! Good luck!
SSC2021 R2 G32 Can't Touch This
SSC2021 R1 G32
Aoife's Race
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>