NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 Titles and Synopses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by shuwriter shuwriter wrote:

Hi!

Group 21 - Historical Fiction/Extortion/ A Wet Nurse

I spent 1.5 days researching the history of wet nursing until I could get enough background information to create a story.

Title: Freedom No More

Synopsis: A woman takes a job as a wet nurse and realizes she can't escape her past.

I realize this synopsis is bland and doesn't give away any details of my story, especially when I've read others more elaborate synopsis. But at least it's clear. LOL

My main focus was to keep the story in the historical time frame and not break character and to also hit the Extortion topic.

One thing I learned time and again, write the first draft almost immediately because writing REALLY takes place in the revisions.  

I hope I pulled it off to at least rank!

I kept in mind that the 24 in my group were all the top 5 of their first groups. So really honored to be competing with the best! I bet our group brought it!

Good advice here. Best of luck heatmate. I hope we take 1st and 2nd, and I look forward to reading your story if you decide to post it here.
SSC RD1 GP35 The Lost Mayan Treasure of Isla Mueve (Action/Adventure)
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Originally posted by jenspenden jenspenden wrote:

Don't Go Breaking My Heart

While on the hunt for coffee in the ER, a heart surgeon finds himself unexpectedly accused of wrongdoing. The woman he supposedly injured captivates him from the moment she starts quoting an Elton John hit.

Group 29: Rom-com / an ambulance chaser / a lapse in judgment

This was the third time since last fall I've been assigned rom-com (and that's not counting the romance I got last round that I made into a rom-com). At least I've been having fun with them, lol.

Aw I love that snapshot of your meet-cute. Really charming way to sell us on these characters <3 Can't wait to read! Also I have a similar feeling. This is my second romance-themed round in a row. Guess the algorithm wants us to remember we have hearts ;)

HA! That makes sense given I usually like writing horror, historical fiction, and suspense with not-so-happy-endings. LOL
Mother of Chaos View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mother of Chaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by danni danni wrote:

Originally posted by Mother of Chaos Mother of Chaos wrote:

Group 43. Horror/Deficient/A Passenger 

The Power Within

The beautiful and mysterious Ivy endeavors to maintain her lifeforce by cultivating strength through careful planting and harvesting

I honestly thought writing horror would be easy because I love to read it. Not so much. Cry

Hello heatmate!  
I watch horror movies through my fingers (if at all) so this was not my preferred genre LOL can't wait to see what you did with these prompts!

Also, how the heck does one write a log line!?

The Passengers

We’ve nearly reached the end of our long voyage through the stars, and with the help of the Caretakers we’re still healthy and happy.  Something is not right, though, and while I don’t know what it is, the dogs might hold the answer.

Hi Danni 🙋‍♀️-
So glad someone else posted from our heat! Can’t wait to read your story if you post it. 

I see you got some good advice on loglines. I try but mine all end up being pretty basic. It helps that we aren’t scored on them or that might end me! 
Mother of Chaos
SSC21 When You Least Expect It
dtill359 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtill359 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 4:29pm
Group 8: Horror/Entitlement/A Professor

The Purification of Percival Barnes

Percival Barnes, Ph.D., considers himself the most valuable commodity on campus, but one biochemistry student is done with Barnes’ attitude and enacts a unique brand of retribution.

Andrew M View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by dtill359 dtill359 wrote:

Group 8: Horror/Entitlement/A Professor

The Purification of Percival Barnes

Percival Barnes, Ph.D., considers himself the most valuable commodity on campus, but one biochemistry student is done with Barnes’ attitude and enacts a unique brand of retribution.

Very intriguing logline. I'm in.
SSC RD1 GP35 The Lost Mayan Treasure of Isla Mueve (Action/Adventure)
Spooky View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by SLK43 SLK43 wrote:

Group 39: Spy / Tropical / a mechanic

Not Mai Tai to Die
When agents begin dying suddenly, questions need to be answered.
Surely good dental hygiene is not the only common denominator?

Honestly? You need to be put through to the next round on that title alone. It’s glorious.
dtill359 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtill359 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Andrew M Andrew M wrote:

Very intriguing logline. I'm in.

Thanks. Loglines are always fun. ^_^
SLMartin View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLMartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 6:27pm
Group 18: Crime Caper / Magnetism / Liquidator

The Retirement Boys  

Synopsis:  When George’s daughter bankrupts the family business, his old friends come to the rescue to secure his long-held secret. 

jbock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:18pm
Group 38 - Action/Adventure / Incorrigible / a woodcutter

Hometown Hero

A hard-up has been is desperate for cash

and fighting the hangover of a lifetime.

jbock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:26pm
Woops, meant this to be a reply

[deleted and moved]

Edited by jbock - 13 Apr 2021 at 7:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>