NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 Titles and Synopses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 22>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Mother of Chaos Mother of Chaos wrote:

Group 43. Horror/Deficient/A Passenger 

The Power Within

The beautiful and mysterious Ivy endeavors to maintain her lifeforce by cultivating strength through careful planting and harvesting

I honestly thought writing horror would be easy because I love to read it. Not so much. Cry

Hello heatmate!  
I watch horror movies through my fingers (if at all) so this was not my preferred genre LOL can't wait to see what you did with these prompts!

Also, how the heck does one write a log line!?

The Passengers

We’ve nearly reached the end of our long voyage through the stars, and with the help of the Caretakers we’re still healthy and happy.  Something is not right, though, and while I don’t know what it is, the dogs might hold the answer.

Steven Kay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 10:45am
Originally posted by danni danni wrote:

It can help to find existing examples and just steal the format if you're not sure!

Orphaned gypsy Heathcliff (protagonist) grows up to love (objective) his adopted sister Cathy (situation), but when Cathy (opponent) marries her wealthy neighbor (disaster), Heathcliff sets in motion a terrible vengeance that will pit him against everyone he knows (conflict).
danni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Steven Kay Steven Kay wrote:

Originally posted by danni danni wrote:

It can help to find existing examples and just steal the format if you're not sure!

Orphaned gypsy Heathcliff (protagonist) grows up to love (objective) his adopted sister Cathy (situation), but when Cathy (opponent) marries her wealthy neighbor (disaster), Heathcliff sets in motion a terrible vengeance that will pit him against everyone he knows (conflict).

Ooooooooh this is a great idea!  Thank you!!  Fingers crossed I get to use it in round 3 LOL
mike450 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike450 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:02am
Group 14: Crime Caper / Gastronomy / A Suburbanite

Excuse Me While I Filch the Pie

A criminal crew comes out of retirement to steal the gourmet pie recipes of a suburban housewife

mike450 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike450 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:04am

[/QUOTE]
Group 14: Crime Caper/Gastronomy /A suburbanite

I make yours look fantastic. 
I was running low on time and panicked. I'm paraphrasing, but....

Fishy Fish

A group of lifelong friends reunite to make things right after one of their parents get swindled. 

[/QUOTE]

I actually love the "Fishy Fish" title... I'm in your heat... good luck and look forward to reading yours!
mike450 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike450 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:06am
Originally posted by FarBlueShore FarBlueShore wrote:

Group 14 / Crime Caper / Gastronomy / A suburbanite

Just Desserts

When local neighborhoods are zoned for demolition, an ex-chef is hired to

infiltrate a politician’s banquet, but maybe he’ll bake matters into his own hands…

Love the sound of this one... can't wait to read it... we're in the same heat, so best of luck!
shuwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shuwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 12:31pm
Hi!

I got the same genre and understand your pain of research.

1700s? Wow! That sounds awesome and fun.

I chose 1800s and  spent 1.5 days researching until I could get enough background information to create a story. It was mind bending. 

Title: Freedom No More

Synopsis: A woman takes a job as a wet nurse and realizes she can't escape her past.

I realize this synopsis doesn't give any details about my story, especially when I've read others more elaborate synopsis. But at least it's clear. LOL

Good Luck!

- Wild Imagination
Hoganzo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoganzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 1:02pm
Hello fellow groupmate! 

Your synopsis sounds very interesting indeed. Best of luck!

I had proper writer's block for 2 full days in this one. Finally came up with an idea that gripped me with 14 hours to go and managed to get something down (though WAY under the word limit...) Not fancying my chances, but definitely enjoyed writing it. Decided to go for rhyming couplets, just to make things harder for myself... 

35 - Fairy Tale / An examination / A wunderkind

Teething Problems

When a wolf with a fondness for doctors emerges,
will Jack be another to succumb to his urges?
This won’t be a regular medical examination,
but will it result in GP mastication?
Pineapplepizza View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pineapplepizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 1:21pm
The Marked Man

Synopsis: Accepting a too-good-to-be-true job offer from a beautiful woman forces a private detective to decide if he has the guts to seize a rare opportunity.

41: sci-fi/quality control/warmonger
shuwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shuwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 1:40pm
Hi!

Group 21 - Historical Fiction/Extortion/ A Wet Nurse

I spent 1.5 days researching the history of wet nursing until I could get enough background information to create a story.

Title: Freedom No More

Synopsis: A woman takes a job as a wet nurse and realizes she can't escape her past.

I realize this synopsis is bland and doesn't give away any details of my story, especially when I've read others more elaborate synopsis. But at least it's clear. LOL

My main focus was to keep the story in the historical time frame and not break character and to also hit the Extortion topic.

One thing I learned time and again, write the first draft almost immediately because writing REALLY takes place in the revisions.  

I hope I pulled it off to at least rank!

I kept in mind that the 24 in my group were all the top 5 of their first groups. So really honored to be competing with the best! I bet our group brought it!
- Wild Imagination
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 22>