NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Honourable Mentions Unite!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote writergal85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:46am
Same TBH. This is the first year I’ve really started entering writing contests and the first year I attempted this short story competition. Plus, I nearly didn’t even finish my story because I spent three days sleeping in the bathroom with stomach flu. Considering all that, an honorable mention is pretty darn good.

But it also would have been cool to move up. I’m curious about the feedback we’ll get. Critiques can be such a mixed bag, depending on who is doing them. 
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Gerry84 Gerry84 wrote:

Received an honourable mention which I'm delighted about.  I have an exceptionally busy week in work so in a way I'm relieved I dont have a creative project to focus on!

Would love to post my submission here and get feedback from other honorable mentioners but not sure thats possible.

You can still post your story on the Short Story Challenge 2021 sub forum but at this point I believe the Master List is closed. You might still get some feedback at this late date, but it's best to post within in the first week or two of the Master List going up as that's when it will be most active. I can't recommend doing this enough if you want feedback on your work. It's invaluable to receive this kind of feedback from fellow writers. 
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 8:16am
Originally posted by wisemel wisemel wrote:

I have decided to assign myself a number and try to write that prompt this weekend for the deadline, as if I were actually competing. But as you say, not sure if I'm disciplined enough to stick with it if I hate the prompt. ha! A random number generator is a great idea. Maybe this is something I should try and do regularly (monthly?) for the rest of this year. 

I tried to do this very thing with the 250! I got a HM in the first round so I picked a random number and when the assignments came out I tried to write a story in the 24 hour time limit. Long story short, it didn't work. Without the pressure and consequence of actually competing and submitting I managed to produce nothing and found it hard to summon inspiration. Using the prompts as practice in general is a great idea, though. I hope you have more success than I did! 

Edited by catnamedeaster - 07 Apr 2021 at 8:17am
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 8:18am
I know I should feel very good about my HM. I didn't even finish and submit my story for Round 1 last year, and that's been plaguing me ever since. Still, I was really banking this one. Could use the ego boost right about now. 
dashesndots2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dashesndots2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:44am
I made it all the way to the finals in 2020, so to be out this early in 2021, even with an HM, was super disappointing for me.

Very interested to see the feedback on mine.
michaelrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 11:24am
Just checked and saw I was the first honorable mention. I suppose I should be happy considering this was my very first entry into any type of writing competition. I'll take it as a positive note that I may be onto something and continue to perfect my craft. 

Good luck to those moving on! 
RG923 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RG923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:30pm
Disappointed not to be advancing, but the honorable mention isn't bad. I'm looking forward to the feedback.
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by catnamedeaster catnamedeaster wrote:

I have decided to assign myself a number and try to write that prompt this weekend for the deadline, as if I were actually competing. But as you say, not sure if I'm disciplined enough to stick with it if I hate the prompt. ha! A random number generator is a great idea. Maybe this is something I should try and do regularly (monthly?) for the rest of this year. 

I tried to do this very thing with the 250! I got a HM in the first round so I picked a random number and when the assignments came out I tried to write a story in the 24 hour time limit. Long story short, it didn't work. Without the pressure and consequence of actually competing and submitting I managed to produce nothing and found it hard to summon inspiration. Using the prompts as practice in general is a great idea, though. I hope you have more success than I did! 

I can absolutely see this happening to me, too. As the day goes on I'm realizing that as much as I appreciate the HM, I do feel a little deflated. Not sure how successful I'll be at forcing myself to follow a deadline for purely self-motivated reasons this weekend. That said, can't hurt to try! If not this weekend, maybe next. 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 2:12pm

Originally posted by catnamedeaster catnamedeaster wrote:

I can absolutely see this happening to me, too. As the day goes on I'm realizing that as much as I appreciate the HM, I do feel a little deflated. Not sure how successful I'll be at forcing myself to follow a deadline for purely self-motivated reasons this weekend. That said, can't hurt to try! If not this weekend, maybe next. 

"Do, or do not.  There is no try"
--Miss Piggy
This sig intentionally blank
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:32pm
Meh. It's almost worse than just not placing. A bit like those rejection letters with 'This made it pretty far and we really like it but good luck we're sure there's a market...' Yeah, cute,  but 'we liked it' doesn't pay the gas bills. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>