NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Honourable Mentions Unite!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AmberWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honourable Mentions Unite!
    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:16am
Did you get an honourable mention? How do you feel?
I am honoured (haha) and a little sad not to be going on.
TF8511 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TF8511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:30am
Same. I wish I were going on, but I'm glad to get that recognition. There's always next time. Anyone want to share their honorable mention story? I can add mine in tomorrow (on my phone now).
McAllister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McAllister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:49am
This is my second competition in a row receiving an honorable mention...at least this time I was the third HM because last time I was number eleven out of ten moving on and that was a true dagger to the heart!

Edited by McAllister - 07 Apr 2021 at 12:49am
lgeverdell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgeverdell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 4:04am
I’m having this horrible, sinking feeling that I’m getting worse at writing because in the heady old days I actually made it to round 3 when I was just a baby writer. And now, while I’m very happy to be mentioned, I can’t get any further. 
So I’m telling myself it’s because I’m trying more ambitious things
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 4:48am
This was my first writing competition, and the first short story I had completed in over 25 years. So yes, very happy with an HM. But of course, also a little sad not to be continuing. Maybe I will grab a random prompt and write something anyway for the practice! 
Caraine View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caraine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 6:20am
Originally posted by AmberWB AmberWB wrote:

Did you get an honourable mention? How do you feel?
I am honoured (haha) and a little sad not to be going on.

LOL Exactly the same! Although the experience was fun and I think I might sign up for future competitions. I'm hopeful my feedback is helpful (although I've seen that it can be a bit hit or miss from other comments on the forums).

Originally posted by wisemel wisemel wrote:

This was my first writing competition, and the first short story I had completed in over 25 years. So yes, very happy with an HM. But of course, also a little sad not to be continuing. Maybe I will grab a random prompt and write something anyway for the practice! 

I also thought I might use the 200+ (!) prompts as writing practices in-between other projects. If nothing else, it would be a little bit of fun. Not sure if I'm dedicated enough to complete the prompts which don't match with my preferences... might have to use a random number generator and hold myself to account.

Well done to all who submitted! 
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Caraine Caraine wrote:

Originally posted by wisemel wisemel wrote:

I also thought I might use the 200+ (!) prompts as writing practices in-between other projects. If nothing else, it would be a little bit of fun. Not sure if I'm dedicated enough to complete the prompts which don't match with my preferences... might have to use a random number generator and hold myself to account.

Well done to all who submitted! 

I have decided to assign myself a number and try to write that prompt this weekend for the deadline, as if I were actually competing. But as you say, not sure if I'm disciplined enough to stick with it if I hate the prompt. ha! A random number generator is a great idea. Maybe this is something I should try and do regularly (monthly?) for the rest of this year. 
CAHart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:32am
I've never entered a competition, nor tried to put forward a story for publication. I rarely share my writing with anyone. But I decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot. I thought "if I make it into the top 10, I'll be thrilled. Maybe that means I can actually write a good story." So when I saw my name ad an honourable mention, I was totally stoked. I'm glad I'm not moving on because I'm actually on holiday and don't have the time. Is there a full list of groups or just the email we got? I wonder though - where do I go from here? 
SSC2021 R1 Killing Father
Gerry84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:41am
Received an honourable mention which I'm delighted about.  I have an exceptionally busy week in work so in a way I'm relieved I dont have a creative project to focus on!

Would love to post my submission here and get feedback from other honorable mentioners but not sure thats possible.
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:45am
I didn't even humor the idea of making it to the next round in this challenge so I'm very pleased to receive an HM. My story is posted and I received some great feedback, but I feel my writing has a way to go in terms of improvement. This competition and the forum is so beneficial for practice and feedback. 

There is a kind of "left out" feeling of not moving on while still being happy for those who do. But I made it to the final in Short Screenplay this year (results tomorrow!) so I feel fortunate to know the feeling of making it to subsequent rounds. I have goals for Flash coming up!

Edited by catnamedeaster - 07 Apr 2021 at 7:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>