FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

That sinking feeling....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: That sinking feeling....
    Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 12:55am
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Just submitted for the last time, 12 min are not going to make a diff 
now, lol.
I needed another day to iron this all out. Two days was just not enough for me.
Still, I did get a story done from those damned prompts, one that I liked in the 
end. It just needs some fine toothed combing yet.

Woohoo! Onward and upward! Next!
After a week of starts and stops and work-related interruptions every step of the way, I submitted mine with 90-seconds left on the clock. I really liked my idea... 6-days ago, I was feeling really good about hitting on something I was looking forward to writing. Now? I already know what's wrong with it. I don't need forum feedback to belabor the point. I think next time I make motions to enter one of these things... I'll take the money and go out to dinner instead.
Stern Smile

Ah, you always write something worth reading. I enjoy the chase, myself. 
WINNING! Even though I am not. Haha.
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

now, lol.
Still, I did get a story done from those damned prompts, one that I liked in the 

After a week of starts and stops and work-related interruptions every step of the way, I submitted mine with 90-seconds left on the clock. I really liked my idea... 6-days ago, I was feeling really good about hitting on something I was looking forward to writing. Now? I already know what's wrong with it. I don't need forum feedback to belabor the point. I think next time I make motions to enter one of these things... I'll take the money and go out to dinner instead.
Stern Smile
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 11:51pm
now, lol.

rsmonterusso View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsmonterusso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 10:04pm
I literally didn't even have an idea until Thursday, didn't start writing until Friday, and finished an hour ago. Some of us just need the pressure. 
NatColfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NatColfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:51pm
I have written 2 12 page screenplays in just 4 days, or so. I did my outline directly on the first day as I directly had gotten an idea. When I was nearly done with my first 12 page script I didn't like it so I rewrote it in like a day and a half. Just finished it and I'm very happy about it.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 12:28am
Well, managed to get a whole story 36 hours to deadline after only having a start for days.
Though it was really ruff I sent it out for a couple of betas and got some good feedback
that I used to clean it up. I am happy, though it may not be movin on material, I do like
it and that is the point.
Now I will take a break and start the pouring over it for ways to tweak it to movin on
material, haha.
This was a tough one, for sure.
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 9:41pm
I've been fairly MIA from the forum for a bit but I'm in this screenwriting competition and have struggled ALL WEEK to write my story. I formulated it fairly quickly but wasn't really excited by it so it's been excruciating getting it out. Naturally I'm on on the 10th page and it's just flowing out of my now and I know I'm going to go over my page limit. Whyyyyyy do I have so much trouble with these competitions!?!?! LOL. Hope everyone else is doing alright!
MF 100 Word '22 R1 G44 Good Boy
SCW '22 RD1 G29 Inseparable
Probably Someone View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Probably Someone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Anansi Anansi wrote:

Originally posted by g_howie g_howie wrote:

I've written nothing. 

NOTHING.

3 half baked ideas and none of them are vaguely comedic or romantic. 

Oh no, what are your other prompts? I'm in the middle of a re-write. Lost all perspective on whether it's improving or if I'm making things worse. Eeeeep! Good luck pal

Grandfather. Grudge. Rom Com. 

At the moment i'm still deciding on whether to set it in a Retirement Home or in Hell. 

I too have lost all perspective. Guess I should pick an idea and go.

Now.

....Now.

.......... now? 

I so feel your pain. I got Rom Com / Antique(s) / A carpenter. Just... ugh. I'm struggling so hard with this, and have also written nothing, and have to work today and tomorrow. But we'll get through it!
g_howie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote g_howie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 8:03am

Originally posted by g_howie g_howie wrote:

I've written nothing. 

NOTHING.

3 half baked ideas and none of them are vaguely comedic or romantic. 

Oh no, what are your other prompts? I'm in the middle of a re-write. Lost all perspective on whether it's improving or if I'm making things worse. Eeeeep! Good luck pal

Grandfather. Grudge. Rom Com. 

At the moment i'm still deciding on whether to set it in a Retirement Home or in Hell. 

I too have lost all perspective. Guess I should pick an idea and go.

Now.

....Now.

.......... now? 

I say why not both?! A retirement home in hell! 
Hope things come into focus for you, best of luck! 

maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 7:05am
@Suave - I didn't write anything until last night when I wrote 11 pages. This probably won't help you, but I will tell you my experiences... I somewhat gave up on submitting anything and was talking to a friend about my prompts. They said "Well why don't you just write X and too easy. Done." -- where X was a setting and a problem for a character to solve and I said, "Yeah I might just do that."

It wasn't until I sat down to outline X that I realized I couldn't write it because what I really wanted to write was Y, something a lot more personal. Then everything clicked.

I guess what this could mean is that sometimes you need to get right to the point of almost giving up? Not sure. Sometimes I need alcohol to stop caring, but maybe that's the wrong advice :D :D :D Anyway -- we're beta readers, so I hope to read something from you :)

@efish - "Does anyone else get absolute brain freeze and creativity paralysis for days on end?" -- Yes absolutely. And every single time I doubt all of my abilities and wonder what I'm doing writing in the first place. Even now. I feel like a fraud responding to real writers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>