NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micro 250 - Titles and 1st 3 words

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _Arden_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:20am
Genre: sci fi/surrealism/weird 

This is my first time participating in any of the NYC Midnight competitions. If I had known the judges tend to select touching drama for the winning piece...I still would have written my piece as is. It ended up being weird, but that's my jam. 

Unbounded

I broke a
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:25am
Originally posted by _Arden_ _Arden_ wrote:

Genre: sci fi/surrealism/weird 

This is my first time participating in any of the NYC Midnight competitions. If I had known the judges tend to select touching drama for the winning piece...I still would have written my piece as is. It ended up being weird, but that's my jam. 

Unbounded

I broke a

Something about these first three words has maximally tantalised my curiosity. I must know what has been broken Tongue. A record? A bone? A priceless vase? Suspense has been achieved LOL
sgspeed View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:21am
I also went with drama, with a touch of thriller maybe. I didn't know about the judges, it's just what popped in. I wanted to do Historical Fiction, since that's what I had the first 2 rounds and thought, why not keep going, but then this idea came in and wouldn't get out, so...

Release 
I fight to
MF250 The Mother
250 MF RD.2 Hush Little Baby
myrhapsody View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote myrhapsody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 1:00pm
The Day of the Feast

Daylight stretched over...

I ended up going histfic/action-adventure!

Good luck, everyone!

beadbalm View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beadbalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 2:46pm
My magical realism turned into mythology, but that's the way things go. 

Title: Homing Pigeon Finally Delivers a Message to an Old Goddess of War
First words: After the pigeon's

It's been a coon's age since I posted anything here. Looking forward to reading everyone's!
WritingbyRiley View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WritingbyRiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 3:18pm
Genre: Speculative? Fantasy?

Title: The Magician’s Music Box

I stand on....
R2 Group 21 https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic38138_post402631.html#402631
Renate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

No matter how I tried, no matter the fact that I feel like NYCm judges most often reward feely drama in the finals, I ended up with horror. However, I hope that the dark humanity in it resonates with the readers...

"Black Widow"

You upend a...

Uh oh. Do they really prefer drama? 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Renate Renate wrote:

Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

No matter how I tried, no matter the fact that I feel like NYCm judges most often reward feely drama in the finals, I ended up with horror. However, I hope that the dark humanity in it resonates with the readers...

"Black Widow"

You upend a...

Uh oh. Do they really prefer drama? 

It does feel like a lot of the winning stories have been loosely classifted as  literary drama. But there have also been some bad ass specific to grace the winner’s circle. 

Edited by nod1v1ng - 22 Feb 2021 at 6:45pm
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:02pm
I don't think the drama thing is specific to this contest. I think culturally we've been conditioned to elevate pieces that speak to the human condition in particular ways. There is a language to it that we've come to associate with emotional and philosophical depth. Sometimes it is more difficult to see those same qualities under the trappings of genre fiction, or with pieces that appear frivolous on the surface.

I considered going that route. I have stories in that vein that I could tell sincerely. But in the end, I felt like doing something else. While it is still pretty much drama, I don't think it's that kind of drama.
FFC2 GR68: the astronomer
Incarnadine View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Incarnadine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 4:51am
Deliverance 

The clock chimed...

Genre- drama, but period. 
I'd love your feedback on my rhyming story entry:
Digging for Gold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>