NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micro 250 - Titles and 1st 3 words

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:30pm
Title: Inari's Tears
First sentence: Father and I...
Genre: Fabley/fairytaley thing 

I feel like the first three words is the least exciting part of my first line haha. Oh well, the forum can live in suspense for the exciting conclusion of this sentence for a few days Tongue. I didn't know the judges tend to favour dramas in the final, but even if I knew, I would probably have gone the same route. Sometimes you just gotta do you, you know? But crikey, I sure had to cut some words from this sucker haha. 
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:42pm
Title: The Ring

Sarah tied her...

I wrote a goofy rom com and discarded it in favor of some drama. Neither were winners - I might post both if that wouldn’t be frowned upon?

Strangely, I always considered myself a SF/F writer, and yet the only stories I’ve written in those genres were the ones specifically assigned them.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by LadyArkham LadyArkham wrote:

I wrote a goofy rom com and discarded it in favor of some drama. Neither were winners - I might post both if that wouldn’t be frowned upon?

When the all clear comes, do it! Just make sure to tell us which was submitted and which is the non-contender! Or post the non-entrant now. Some non-entry folks have already started posting for review since they do not have to wait for the all clear. 

250's are so short it's easy & fun for us to review a lot of them! :)
dcroxon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dcroxon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:54pm
Title: A Black Eye for the Green Thumb
First words: I ease my...

Hozier's song "In The Woods Somewhere" came into my head as soon as I saw the prompt, and I almost went down a dark fantasy/horror route (which is my tendency), but went for straight drama instead.
north_north_west View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote north_north_west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:55pm
I'll play!

Title: The Snake Handler’s Daughter

The trap held...(hint; see title.)

Genre: Drama

Body Count: 1, plus 3 more in the backstory

Looking forward to reading everyone else's!

north_north_west
FF R3 The Roadrunner Gambit
FF R2 Dog-ocracy in America

MrLipto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:03pm

The Pest

I find my...

Edited by MrLipto - 21 Feb 2021 at 9:03pm
agilbert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote agilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:17pm
Web- 
I've learned to...

Judy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 3:32am
Title: Fast Freddie 
First three words: The sun fell...
Genre: Fairy Tale

I was in the middle of a four day intensive workshop when the prompts dropped. Turned out the story on a lunch break. I had zero expectation of making it to the final round. 
jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:43am

The Animals in Zoe Zeppelin

Alphabetical order was...

I think i have gone straight drama, with a touch of light fantasy.

jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 7:17am
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

No matter how I tried, no matter the fact that I feel like NYCm judges most often reward feely drama in the finals, I ended up with horror. However, I hope that the dark humanity in it resonates with the readers...

"Black Widow"

You upend a...

cool, can we infer from this 2nd POV... high risk high reward kinda stuff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>