NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Submission Bar - Micro 250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post Submission Bar - Micro 250
    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:54pm

Whew! What a whirlwind! Congratulations for writing another tiny story! Pull up a chair, pour a drink (water, tea, wine, whiskey, no judgement here!) and tell us how it went!

When I first saw the prompts, I thought there were so many possibilities, but for whatever reason I just could not come up with an idea. I didn't even start writing until late afternoon. I started and scrapped several ideas. Finally ended up with two drafts. One was a feely drama (which I feel often does well in NYCm finals) and the other a bit of a stalkery, dystopian thriller. I wasn't completely in love with either, but I lobbed them at my writing group to see which they thought was more viable. 

While they debated, I knocked out a third bit of horror in about 20 minutes. Guess which one I submitted? 

Chilling out with some Hulu and a glass of Cabernet. I might tinker before deadline, but I sort of feel like it is done.... Or maybe it's just that I'm done. 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:55pm
What's interesting is I'm not in this, but when I looked at the prompts I had at least a dozen ideas for ways to spin them.

I'm sure if I had to actually write a story I would have felt trapped by the senseless requirements..
This sig intentionally blank
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

What's interesting is I'm not in this, but when I looked at the prompts I had at least a dozen ideas for ways to spin them.

I'm sure if I had to actually write a story I would have felt trapped by the senseless requirements..

Isn't that always the way?
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:09pm
I have what is known in medical terms as 'postoperative noodle-brain'. 

After performing a wordectomy, a verbal ligation, a title job, and a precautionary colonoscopy, I've done what I can for the patient. I ended up leaving some sentence fragments inside her. I informed her they could be removed, but given where they were located, it may end up altering her personality.

I've given the patient one dose of semicolon since the the completion of all of her procedures. I'll check in on her in an hour, and if she's looking well enough, I'll send her on her way. Not like she can stay here forever. I won't be able to do anymore major procedures on her today. What with the afore-mentioned noodle-brain, I'd likely do more harm than good.

Just sticking with coffee for now and thinking about what I want for dinner that is a) already in my apartment and b) quick to make.

Edited by kristina_f - 20 Feb 2021 at 10:09pm
FFC2 GR68: the astronomer
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

I have what is known in medical terms as 'postoperative noodle-brain'. 

After performing a wordectomy, a verbal ligation, a title job, and a precautionary colonoscopy, I've done what I can for the patient. I ended up leaving some sentence fragments inside her. I informed her they could be removed, but given where they were located, it may end up altering her personality.

I've given the patient one dose of semicolon since the the completion of all of her procedures. I'll check in on her in an hour, and if she's looking well enough, I'll send her on her way. Not like she can stay here forever. I won't be able to do anymore major procedures on her today. What with the afore-mentioned noodle-brain, I'd likely do more harm than good.

Just sticking with coffee for now and thinking about what I want for dinner that is a) already in my apartment and b) quick to make.

...and the Bengal lounge is closed, which should be a crime against humanity...
This sig intentionally blank
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:22pm
Made more tweaks to my non-submission, kind of like it.  Certainly better than the 400 words I vomited up to start with.  I honestly don’t know what direction I would have gone if I was actually submitting. I got fairy tale the first two rounds so my mind immediately went to freeing a magical animal that grants wishes LOL I’m glad I did something a little different though, I’ll post it a little later.

Sipping Starbucks iced tea.  

Good going everyone, and keep going to anyone nearing the finish line!
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Isn't that always the way?

I know, personally, in the absence of pressure to produce something, I'm way better at entertaining ideas without prejudice. The reality is, there are many fairly simple ideas from which I could produce amazing stories. Likely better than the ones I actually end up writing for the contest. But when the prompt is mine, I try to boil the ocean with my concept, and then eventually I just stick with something on a whim. 

I think that's why I liked getting historical fiction first round. The second I found anything that fit the prompts, I just went with it. It was my strongest story of the three (though not my favourite).

This time I had several ideas right away. I toyed around with a story about anthropomorphized animals getting trapped in some sort of shady financial deal. I can't remember what else. But ultimately there was one idea that just called to me, even though it suffered greatly for the word count. If I were smarter, I would have abandoned it, but let it never be said I let reason stand in the way of being stubborn.
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:40pm
Weirdly, I had an idea pretty much immediately, but still needed that A-HA shower epiphany to really have it take shape. Submitted a whopping THREE times, all thanks to some amazing betas. The only other time I made it to a final round, I froze, and ended up writing an idea my friend gave me instead of developing my own. I feel much better this time around. 

I am worded, brained, and wined out. It’s bedtime!

Can’t wait to read what everyone wrote!
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:02am
I ended up submitting five times. It's not an addiction. I can quit whenever I want. Especially now that time is up.

Hope everyone got something in.
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:14am
Made it just as the buzzer went! I think I'm happy with it...maybe LOL. After lots of overthinking I decided to take a breath and just trust the process. I have a tendency to hate everything until its submitted, so here's hoping.

I gotta say, I'm jealous of those who can write drafts for multiple ideas. Even for something this short I tend to just get stuck on a particular idea and not be able to produce anymore once an idea has 'legs'. That being said, it's probably a good thing for me, considering my aforementioned hate of everything until after I've submitted, I would have abandoned many stories I ended up liking. Including my semi-finals piece haha. 

Also, I started panicking while writing this post, only to realise I'm no longer constrained by wordcount! All the words!!! All. The. Words.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>