FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Hate Waiting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Hate Waiting
    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Mister_Write Mister_Write wrote:

Btw, thanks for being such an encouraging influence in this community; I really appreciate all your advice šŸ˜Š.

Aw shucks. This community has given me a lot over the years. I'm happy to be able to give some of that back.

davedav View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davedav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:06am
Being my first final, I had no idea it would be open genre, and I hated having no guide posts (way more than I expected).  I did 3 versions, hated them all at first, accepted that one of them would be my submittal, and finalized 2.  I pasted one in for the submittal, and then changed my mind to submit the other one with 5 minutes to spare.  So...ugh?  :/  Still really love this process and appreciate the chance to do this.  Am I the only one who has been right at word count, and then at submittal it say's I'm 1 over?  3rd time that's happened to me!

Edited by davedav - 21 Feb 2021 at 12:07am
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

I am so close to throwing my laptop away LOL. Why is this so much harder than all the other rounds?

Because itā€™s the finals and you are totally psyching yourself out. Take a deep breath. Donā€™t overthink it. Remember what you accomplished to get here. 

Also, none of this is my advice. Itā€™s what I was told earlier this evening when I said the same thing to a friend... we all need to hear it methinks. 

Thanks Nod! That actually really helped. Btw, thanks for being such an encouraging influence in this community; I really appreciate all your advice šŸ˜Š.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:40pm

I am so close to throwing my laptop away LOL. Why is this so much harder than all the other rounds?

Because itā€™s the finals and you are totally psyching yourself out. Take a deep breath. Donā€™t overthink it. Remember what you accomplished to get here. 

Also, none of this is my advice. Itā€™s what I was told earlier this evening when I said the same thing to a friend... we all need to hear it methinks. 
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Alexis_H Alexis_H wrote:

If I just throw the whole laptop away now will that help or hinder me?

Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by LadyArkham LadyArkham wrote:

I have a bad complete draft of a rom com, an entirely different unworkable 250 word prologue that required an hour of fascinating research about crabbing and ghost gear on the Chesapeake, and a great title with no story idea attached. But the 9 month old and 3 year old are both in bed now, and maybe I can actually think a little.

Anybody else really struggling with this one? I feel like the open genre is the worst part for me, I have no guidance.

I found the prompt and word combination really hard, for some reason. It probably doesn't help that I've been working till about 11pm every night this week and was shattered all day today. I'll be intrigued to see what genres everyone picks though. I feel like leaving me to my own devices on genre was an awful idea.

Anyway, I've submitted and consoled myself that a career as a speed microfiction writer is less lucrative than my current job. Good luck to everyone still going - I'm off to bed so I can review all my docs at work tomorrow in a halfway coherent manner!
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:10pm
I have a bad complete draft of a rom com, an entirely different unworkable 250 word prologue that required an hour of fascinating research about crabbing and ghost gear on the Chesapeake, and a great title with no story idea attached. But the 9 month old and 3 year old are both in bed now, and maybe I can actually think a little.

Anybody else really struggling with this one? I feel like the open genre is the worst part for me, I have no guidance.

Edited by LadyArkham - 20 Feb 2021 at 9:12pm
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Draiglas Draiglas wrote:

I'm having similar feelings. I am not a fan of what I've written but I can't stay up too late as I negotiated having today to do this contest in exchange for working all of tomorrow, meaning I'll need to get up early. I'm probably just going to have to submit this soon and give up on the whole affair :\

That said, I'd suggest keeping the laptop, unless you have a dictaphone to submit a recording into Submittable :)

I get a significant time zone advantage, I feel. My window starts and ends at 21:00. This time, unfortunately, my brain was really wired, so I ended up rewriting my story after being awake for more than 24hrs (I used to be able to stay up for several days consecutively, but alas, no longer). I am told my story is coherent.
FFC2 GR68: the astronomer
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 6:02pm

I'm having similar feelings. I am not a fan of what I've written but I can't stay up too late as I negotiated having today to do this contest in exchange for working all of tomorrow, meaning I'll need to get up early. I'm probably just going to have to submit this soon and give up on the whole affair :\

That said, I'd suggest keeping the laptop, unless you have a dictaphone to submit a recording into Submittable :)
Alexis_H View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexis_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 5:28pm
Archive
250 R2
<a href="https://tinyurl.com/YACCMMDD" rel="nofollow">250 (R1)</
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>