NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your "day job"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 25>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackhennigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:09pm
I'm a special education teacher, currently working in a county wide program for high school students with "Emotional Disability." My speciality is English. I'm also certified in Social Studies, but since I'm Special Ed they can make you do pretty much anything. I had to do Geometry one time. It was...rough. But, truly, I friggin' love my job. 
Will703 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Frefallr Frefallr wrote:

Originally posted by Will703 Will703 wrote:

I teach 2nd grade in Las Vegas! We started the year 100% virtual, but have slowly been adding more and more kids in person. Starting March 1st, I can have 75% of my classroom's capacity which equates to 23 of my 27 kids in person every week. I really hate hybrid - wish they were all online or all in person, but the light is at the end of the tunnel; I'm getting the 2nd dose of the Moderna vaccine on Wednesday!

That's great! Here in LA things are starting to open up, sloooowly. I'm curious - do the kids rotate? Surely it's not just 4 unlucky kids, right? Or do some parents not want their kids back at school?

Some parents have chosen to remain fully virtual
Calabacita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calabacita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:50pm
Hi! I am looking to grow mushrooms, but was reading that it’s not worth it to buy premade mushroom kits because they won’t be good, so it’s better to make your own substrate. I’m so glad to have found an expert in the wild so I can ask! Is that true, if you don’t mind me asking? 

Edited by Calabacita - 21 Feb 2021 at 8:52pm
Calabacita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calabacita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:52pm
Hi! I am looking to grow mushrooms, but was reading that it’s not worth it to buy premade mushroom kits because they won’t be good, so it’s better to make your own substrate. I’m so glad to have found an expert in the wild so I can ask! Is that true, if you don’t mind me asking? 
pennypeaches View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pennypeaches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Calabacita Calabacita wrote:

So I'd say that depends on what "worth it" means to you- buying a block means you don't have to invest in everything else. People think of "kits" whwn they hear substrate blocks, but I mostly work with farms who buy blocks in so they don't have to do all the back-end work and can still harvest 1000lbs a week. We also drop-ship for some bigger name vendors who market "kits" to home-growers, and we send out the same exact commercial-quality blocks for those orders 😁 Feel free to private mesaage me if you have more questions! 

Edited by pennypeaches - 21 Feb 2021 at 9:04pm

nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:40pm

Back in the day when I owned my farm, we used log plugs. Really easy to cultivate and they were prolific and tasty. All you need is a log and a drill. The plugs were capable of supplying my 200 member CSA as well as satisfy my cordon bleu trained wasband...

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Back in the day when I owned my farm, we used log plugs. Really easy to cultivate and they were prolific and tasty. All you need is a log and a drill. The plugs were capable of supplying my 200 member CSA as well as satisfy my cordon bleu trained wasband...

Back in the day we just got a job where they kept us in the dark and fed 
us BS - oh, wait, that was they thought we were mushrooms.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Back in the day we just got a job where they kept us in the dark and fed 
us BS - oh, wait, that was they thought we were mushrooms.

I've had "mushroom" on a business card as one of my titles.  The other really odd ones were 'speed bump' (got added after a 16 yo ran me over in a toyota sequoia...that was a week in the hospital) and "Evil Network Overlord".

Currently I have no fun titles on my card.  Boo.
This sig intentionally blank
Napos View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Napos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 12:49am
Physician working part-time in addiction treatment and sahm...haven't worked for a few years bc of illness, but I'm doing well now and thinking about going back to work and doing some more training to learn how to be a family therapist...and/or maybe someday we'll open a guesthouse for cyclists and trail-walkers. :)
Micro100 2022
Appliance Hallucinations
MsTrillian View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsTrillian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:19am
Originally posted by spilledink spilledink wrote:

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by MsTrillian MsTrillian wrote:

Originally posted by spilledink spilledink wrote:

Originally posted by MsTrillian MsTrillian wrote:

Originally posted by benjboyle benjboyle wrote:

Information Systems manager with a background in database and software development. 

Oh hello fellow IT human. I’m a software delivery manager. But if you asked my daughter what I really do she’ll say: Mommy, types and talks a lot in meetings. 

When I used to work nights and returned to college, I always worried my son would tell his teachers I sleep all day.

Did you try glamourising your job? Maybe say you were up all night helping Batman? Or you were Santa’s helper making all the toys? It can backfire though. I was working as IT support for NGO and said we are helping the poor and she ended up saying we are poor and before you know it the school was asking if we were ok. 😂

My wife filled out a questionnaire at work and they asked "Do you feel safe at home?"  She wrote "No". 

English isn't her first language, and she didn't realize she just announced to the world that she's in a physically or emotionally abusive relationship until I explained it to her.

I kept expecting to get a visit, but...not so much.  Apparently the object of the exercise was more about filling out the form than actually helping anyone.

Oh no! You offered them some IT tips for the trouble, right? Like, did you try rebooting your computer first? Batman would have been good for me! He did think it was neat that I got a new backpack at the same time he started kindergarten. Not a cool one like his, but...   

Classic. Did you reboot? LOL Best IT advice, ever. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 25>