NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you feel about the results?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shandra leah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 8:59am
I was going to echo indigomisha, only the first 15 get points as they are handed out in a range from 1-25... jjakeman you beat me by one place! I came in 12th for a whopping 4 points... At least I didn't get a big fat goose egg :(
jrobbins79 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrobbins79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 9:37am
I got one f$%^ing point.  Oh, pardon me.  I mean 1 f$%^ing point.  Maybe they should deduct it now.
shandra leah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shandra leah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 9:39am
*hugs jr* let's both strive to do better than our respective current pointage!
londongirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 9:46am
Originally posted by jrobbins79 jrobbins79 wrote:

I got one f$%^ing point.  Oh, pardon me.  I mean 1 f$%^ing point.  Maybe they should deduct it now.

I'm feeling generous. Have one of mine, and then we'll have two apiece. 
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrobbins79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 9:51am
Originally posted by shandra leah shandra leah wrote:

*hugs jr* let's both strive to do better than our respective current pointage!

I don't need to strive to do better than my current pointage - I know I did better than my current pointage.  And the fact that Tops and you and L-girl and a few others who had the best stories I've read on this forum tanked as well only proves that the judging is for sh*t here.  I'm seriously considering not bothering with the rest of this contest.

Thanks for the hug tho.  Hug

Edited by jrobbins79 - 16 Sep 2010 at 9:53am
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shandra leah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 10:14am
Awwwwz, don't drop out! I'm gonna put my nose to the grindstone this weekend, and if I don't do well (or better than myself), then I figure I'll just continue with my plan of focusing more on my poetry instead of prose.
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrobbins79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 10:24am

See?  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  You're going to stop writing stories based on the arbitrary feedback of these sh*tty judges?!  That would truly be tragic.  That makes me angrier than anything else.

And the fact that Tops scored the same as me is appalling.  She is arguably the best writer on this site.  I don't deserve to have anywhere near as many points as her.  There is just no f'ing way that 14 people in that group wrote better stories than her.  I would find it hard to believe that one person did.
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shandra leah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 10:41am
Oh don't get me wrong, it's not just this contest that has swayed my hand toward poetry. I've been working on it a lot lately and find I like it a lot better than prose. It's hard for me to focus on both at the same time, and I've had some interesting collaboration offers regarding my poetry that I'd like to pursue. I'm still going to do my best on this next challenge, and good reviews or not, prose are going on the back burner for a while... At least until the next NYCM contest email comes along I'm sure, LoL...

I'm trying not to let the scoring get me down, though, because I realize the subjectiveness of judging stories that vary so widely as these do, even within the same group. For the last short story contest, I admit I wasn't crazy about many of the stories that scored highest, but that certainly doesn't make them "bad" stories. It's really about what you like reading and what you  personally make of the story you read.
carolync View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolync Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 11:10am
I notice in Group 10 that nobody received the 15th place spot, winning 1 point.

So I guess that means that eight people out of 22 were disqualified or didn't write anything after paying their money? Seems odd.

I'm not sure if that happened anywhere else.

Anyway, I hope people aren't too disheartened with the results.

You can't really compare well written stories to each other with any degree of reality. Readers have their individual tastes and opinions and moods. Different set of judges, different results. Haven't you read "classics" or "great" writers and thought they weren't all that much? 

We paid our money. It's supposed to be fun. Remember?

No charge for the two cents worth.

dsaslav View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsaslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 11:12am
8th ("Eighth") place for 10 ("ten") points in Group 7 ("Seven") here.  Hats off to the 7 ("seven") "real" horror writers who outscored me.  Mildly disappointed, but also impressed that my wife and many of my fellow writer/reviewers were able to predict that I would not do as well as I'd hoped I might.

Just a reminder - a tie for 5th ("fifth") will advance the writer with the single best score - so my 10 ("ten") for "Well of Life" could be surpassed by a 0 ("zero") in my group, unless I come within *9* ("nine") of them in Challenge 2 ("two"). 

I bet they do it this way to incentivize the lower-placing authors in Round 1 ("One").

And as a two-time (2-time) 0 ("zero") point-getter in last year's four rounds I can assure you that the 0's ("zeroes") likely ARE submitting stories, having paid the entry fee, but failing to gather critical acclaim from the judges.

I am hewing toward the opinion that a lot of very talented, even world-class writers are entering this contest, and that many of them are earning so much money from their stories today that they are not likely to give away free links to stories they hope one day to anthologize, and therefore monetize.  But of course - scientifically speaking - there is no way to differentiate that hypothesis from the "monkeys and clowns on bicycles throwing pages of our beloved prose at a dartboard" theory.

And do not count londongirl out, I have watched her score 25 ("twenty-five") points on her stories far too often to fall for this "lulling" trick of hers!

Edited by dsaslav - 16 Sep 2010 at 11:14am
David Saslav

NYCMidnight Participant since 2009
All Prior NYCM Prompts and Stories (except one) may be found beginning August/September 2009, at
http://dsaslav.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>