NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I wasn't going to sign up for short story

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

When I inevitably get horror and you inevitably get romance, we could swap prompts and just pretend to be each other for the remainder of the contest?
Okay, that's actually genius. I mean I've regularly scored top 3 in sci fi/fantasy, but anything romance I get punched out immediately. Gotta be a way to swap prompts with a romance high-performer who lands a fantasy/sci fi they're not comfortable with.

I mean dishonest, yes, but I'm tired of getting killed by romance.

Jennifer is much, much smarter than the average quail.  On the other hand I'd hate to 'swap prompts' and fall flat on her face.  That would be worse than falling on my own. 

I have to admit to being tempted, but much like Charlie Brown and the football I'm also pretty sure the temptation will end when I see the prompts.

That's what prompted me to take my NYCM vacation in the first place  Big smile
This sig intentionally blank
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:45am

After just completing R2 of Micro 250, hells bells all that time and words are going to feel luxurious. Or overwhelming! 

My favorite part of SS R1 is that I have most of the week to procrastinate... and then panic write on the last 2 days. It's a process.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

When I inevitably get horror and you inevitably get romance, we could swap prompts and just pretend to be each other for the remainder of the contest?
Okay, that's actually genius. I mean I've regularly scored top 3 in sci fi/fantasy, but anything romance I get punched out immediately. Gotta be a way to swap prompts with a romance high-performer who lands a fantasy/sci fi they're not comfortable with.

I mean dishonest, yes, but I'm tired of getting killed by romance.

Jennifer is much, much smarter than the average quail.  On the other hand I'd hate to 'swap prompts' and fall flat on her face.  That would be worse than falling on my own. 

I have to admit to being tempted, but much like Charlie Brown and the football I'm also pretty sure the temptation will end when I see the prompts.

That's what prompted me to take my NYCM vacation in the first place  Big smile

There is SOME remote chance you won't get romance and I won't get horror. I mean, we could both get political satire (at which point I might well quit because I guarantee everyone would hate any poli-sat I wrote.) 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 3:57pm

There is SOME remote chance you won't get romance and I won't get horror. I mean, we could both get political satire (at which point I might well quit because I guarantee everyone would hate any poli-sat I wrote.) 

There is a statistically significant probability that if everyone else hates your pol-sat I would love it. 

In 1984 I read 1984 (twice) while *cough* 12 miles or so off the coast of Petropavlovsk chasing Soviet ballistic missile submarines.  The technology is in place, the willingness to use it is coming along nicely, and the Party is mostly there. 

Maybe I'll sign up on the odd chance I don't need to find love for a homeless leprocic pigeon.  I can always skip it, and maybe my luck has changed...

LOL
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:20pm

I spent the last week translating a Russian movie into English.  It was a horror movie, so of course NYCM popped into my head, followed shortly by another of their email reminders that it's not too late to sign up.

Of course the same problem exists.  Romance - Leprosy - A Homeless Pigeon...

I might continue my NYCM Vacation...or I might open the door that the audience already knows should be left closed.  Horror...

Hey Random, good to see you. You should enter just so we can be entertained by your wit, strong writing and cries from the dark...  Really, enter, its good for you to stretch your legs, so to speak.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Hey Random, good to see you. You should enter just so we can be entertained by your wit, strong writing and cries from the dark...  Really, enter, its good for you to stretch your legs, so to speak.

Hey, you suave devil you!  I'm surprised you still talk to us little people.  You were nominated for an Academy Award in the category of Best Shortless Feature, I believe?

Whoever does the NYCM web site is certainly not a writer.  "We will be donating..."?  Really?  That line needs to be stuffed into a burlap sack full of rocks and dumped in the ocean.  I'm sure SeaLegacy will understand the need. 

It's difficult to be judged by an organization that allows such as this to exist.

Big smile
jasminegeekface View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasminegeekface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 2:10am
If you get poli-sat, I would LOVE to throw my body on the line for this whole underground prompt swap situation...
Fatima
(she/her/hers)
Writer, educator, unpaid emotional laborer
IG & Twitter: @jasminegeekface
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 3:11am

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Hey, you suave devil you!  I'm surprised you still talk to us little people.  You were nominated for an Academy Award in the category of Best Shortless Feature, I believe?

Whoever does the NYCM web site is certainly not a writer.  "We will be donating..."?  Really?  That line needs to be stuffed into a burlap sack full of rocks and dumped in the ocean.  I'm sure SeaLegacy will understand the need. 

It's difficult to be judged by an organization that allows such as this to exist.

Big smile

haha, a nomination is not an award....Ah, I gamble they do and vote for anything kids.
LameeseS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LameeseS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 3:32am
I really don't want political satire or fantasy. 
timmytimtimothy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmytimtimothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 6:24am
Can't believe we've gotta muster up the brainpower to write another story this weekend – 10x as long (as the MF)!

How's everyone planning on approaching it? Ideally want to come up with an idea and start writing on Saturday. In reality - given my track record of last-ditching it - I won't do anything until late in the week and will be writing right down to the wire LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>