NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micro 250 R2 Post Submission Bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HHCrippen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

In the end, I remembered that every story is a bet. As far as I know, all three stories could win with one set of judges and get trashed by another set. 

Mental anguish can be useful, but I wouldn't waste it betting on the judges, I respectfully submit. "You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself," as Ricky Nelson sang. And it seems that's what you did - "the most me" - after the requisite amount of Sturm und Drang that separates artists from the great unwashed. I would have skipped the group vote too, unless your friends include Stephen King and J.K. Rowling. 
Addie-Ish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addie-Ish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:57pm
Just submitted my first ghost story. This one really threw me for a loop.

I'm not thrilled with the end result. It simultaneously feels too literal and too overwrought. Like shocker, this ghost story has a "GhOoOoOost." But the really scary part is the heavy-handed "metaphOoOoOoOors."

Ah well, time for wine!

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 12:00am
Well, ready or not, that is another one in the bag.
Like hunting snipes, all is fun in the end!
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 12:03am
I had fun with my genre! It was my first ghost story. I just wish I had like...1000 more words LOL. I'm glad an idea came quickly this time round, because I had to go to my brother's 21st birthday in the middle of the contest. Needless to say, I've been up all night. If anyone needs me, I'll be sleeping for the next 3 days Tongue

Good luck everyone!!
benjboyle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benjboyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 12:04am
Totally spaced on this one until 2215 [it’s been a long, weird couple of weeks) but managed to cudgel my brain into exactly 250 words of historical fiction in a little over an hour (based on some thinking time this morning when I saw the assignment, so not totally cold - that would have been a nightmare).

Not holding my breath for this one, but more than happy to have passed r1 on my first run at the contest!

Edited by benjboyle - 17 Jan 2021 at 12:10am
JuliKobayashi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliKobayashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 12:09am
Hey All,
Congrats to submitting! Since I could use a reminder of this myself, my good friend says to me that she thinks that people who can write fiction have magical powers in her book. While I may not hold myself in that high of a regard, it's really nice to acknowledge that those of us who do these challenges have a skill that not every other person has!

Okay, so I was uncharacteristically very happy with my round 1 story and super confident, and it was the first time in several years of doing NYCM that I finished early enough to do beta swaps which helped improve my story so much.

Not so much for round 2, I worked down to the wire as usual and it was half baked and choppy and could have used so much more work. My high concept horror-comedy-fantasy-drama had too much going on and I feel like I could be disqualified for it not being a a pure comedy. I think/hope I interpreted the prompts in a unique way... maybe?  I think I'm going to make myself a cognac Manhattan now.

I cannot wait to read everyone's stories!!!
JuliKobayashi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliKobayashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 12:11am
Originally posted by daniellemari daniellemari wrote:

Anyone else start with an 800 word version and then whittle it down to 253 and absolutely PANIC wondering what may be able to be hyphenated because #allwordsmatter and then get those three words exorcised ONLY TO REALIZE you had somehow somewhere at some time sliced out the required word and then finally get it squeezed back in there with some Vaseline and a shoe horn and who knows if your story is any good but you did a thing?

Anyone?
No?
Just me?

cool
cool
cool

1000% also me. My first draft was like 700 words without an ending, and then I was stuck at 255 words for about 2 hours, AND I removed several hyphenated words, which meant renaming a fictional app and other things that were not very easy to do. I feel ya!! 
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 12:15am
JuliKobayashi, your story sounds really cool! I'm keen to read it :D

I usually write way too much as well, I'm getting better at writing less though. Most flash fiction ones I write at least double what the word count is, and then die inside as kill all my babies :D
calliopespinae View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calliopespinae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 2:44am
I have no idea how this story is going to go over. I'm good with dialogue but Action/Adventure is uh Not My Forte.
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 3:00am
I got horror, and instantly thought it would work with an idea I'd had loitering in my head for ages. My brain then slammed shut on any alternative possibilities, even when it turned out to be almost impossible to do the story justice in 250 words.
Whisky and self-loathing for me, please. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>