NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 3 thoughts? Possible title/logline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TheMarkCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round 3 thoughts? Possible title/logline
    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 2:58am
How is everyone feeling? Thought I'd be used to it by now, but nope. Still stressful. For the first time though, I feel alright. I hope that's not a sign. Say no to opposite day, amirite?

Anyways, hope everyone had fun. Looking forward to reading and sharing.

I've never started a thread, but if we can post title and logline here, let me know and I will add mine. 

Good luck everyone, 

Mark Cooper

Edited to add mine:
 I also, like others, spent all day Saturday thinking of and rejecting ideas and didn't sit down to write til Sunday. I ended up only having to do a few rewrites as I was barely over 5 pages in my first draft. Had to cut a few lines and adjust some settings and I was A OK. Looking forward to round 4, whether I am in it or not. Overall this has been a fun and challenging experience. 

A PAPER CUT AND THE CONSPIRACY OF RAVENS

Russell is enamored by the new farmhand next door. Will his eager 
advances sow the seeds of love or scare her into taking flight?

Edited by TheMarkCooper - 11 Jan 2021 at 1:27pm
ShScreenplayFairyTale/Rom Com
ShStory2021=Suspense
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 6:25am
I found it so hard to be funny and light given last week's US events...and I dread rom com anyway and it was the second time I got it in this competition this year...ugh. 

So, it was rough. What I ended up with is pretty boring, but given how I struggled with coming up with anything, boring is ok! But I so wish NYC Midnight would give me something other than rom com.

Group 8: rom com/a rural road/a bird

Bad Lovely Road

Why did the sloth cross the road? To get Tina a boyfriend. 

Edited to add: some of the fun of these for me is that I freak out about a genre thinking I can't come up with anything and then am forced to come up with something (or bail, which I have done). Just love the challenge of it all. LOL

Edited by BarbaraFL - 11 Jan 2021 at 9:25am
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 7:05am
Group 3 - Suspense / Repair Shop / Bottle of Champagne

Final Transmission

An old TV has reached the end of the road.
Other appliances in the repair shop
have a different opinion.

BG
Micro 250 R1 - The Iron Harvest
Micro 250 R2 - The Phantom
alexdsut View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexdsut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 7:27am
Group 2: Ghost Story / A Dust Storm / A Briefcase

HIGHWAY OF DEATH

On a lonely stretch of barren highway, a shady arms dealer faces the sins of his -- and his county's -- past.

-----

Well, I'm confident that, for once, I've used all 3 prompts properly without taking the mick at all. Maybe.
emad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 7:39am
Group 2: Ghost Story / A Dust Storm / A Briefcase

I have to say that I found this prompt very challenging! I spent all day Saturday just brainstorming ideas, rejecting them as soon as I thought of them. Thankfully, I was able to come up with something. But, a dust storm, AH!

"Only God Can Help You Now"

Logline: The Dust Bowl continues to ravage the Southern Plains. The dust obliterated Jaxon Moore’s crops and his hopes of saving his farm, and he will have his revenge, in this life or in the next.   

catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 8:10am
Group 7 - Drama / A classroom / A pear

In the Gardens of Memory 

A woman learns a few things while visiting her grandmother with Alzheimer's. 

I felt I kind of lucked out with these prompts, although I didn't go with a traditional classroom for my setting and wonder if it will cost me. 
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 10:27am
Group 8 - Romantic comedy / A rural road / A bird

Take the Money and Run
A robber gets more than what she prayed for when she meets a strange priest who offers to help her (and her parrot) out after a car accident in the middle of the Utah desert.

First time ever being assigned rom-com for an NYCM challenge, and I felt a little lucky. Friday night, I decided to re-watch Some Like It Hot (Billy Wilder) before receiving the midnight prompt. So getting rom-com felt like I manifested that for myself LOL

I had fun writing it, that's all I can ask for. Very excited to be reading everyone's forum submissions!
-EJ
Moves Like (Diet) Mick Jagger Screenplay G31 (RomCom)
All my NYCM entries :)
ReneC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReneC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 12:24pm
Group 1 - Horror/A quarry/Energy drink

BENEATH THE SURFACE

An awkward trip to a quarry lake becomes a nightmare for a group of teens when a strange boy appears.

I decided to do a horror with a ghost, even though Ghost Story is its own genre. The setting inspired me, I just had to make it not like Stranger Things. LOL

I bit off more than I could chew though. The story I came up with was going to be about ten pages. I cut a character out, shaved off some beats, and my first draft was still over seven pages. It took a lot of tightening and carefully shaving off a few more beats to get it to exactly 5 pages with no time to spare.
weebil View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weebil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 12:55pm
Group 8 - RomCom/A Rural Road / A bird (and, I might add, a lot of heat mates here already!)

The Vulture Club
When a group of single ladies in rural Kansas gather weekly to swap Internet dating tips, they discover that sometimes the best connections are the ones you've already made.

manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 1:11pm
This round was good for me. First time ever getting drama, and all my original ideas kept verging on suspense, so finding the right tone was tricky. I didn't actually write anything until Sunday afternoon, but it came pretty easy when it did. Semi-finals are my favorite round - such great writing to read, lots of representation in each heat, and fewer prompts to keep track of!

Group 7 - Drama/Classroom/A Pear

A Failure

High school student Ray struggles to focus in class. 
Can his teachers give him the attention he needs to be successful?

Edited by manifestlynot - 11 Jan 2021 at 1:14pm
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>