NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 3 thoughts? Possible title/logline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 2:56am
Group 8
RomCom
Rural Road
A bird

Romcom for the 2nd time in 3 rounds. Grrrrrrr...
I’m fearing the judges may rule that this is more drama with a comedic tone as my humour never strays from dark and dry.
But I did enjoy the characters, so that was fun.

‘Lovebirds’
After a near fatal collision, a couple’s relationship blossoms into something rather unexpected

Edward 

R4 SSP Play Time
R3SSP
Lovebirds
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 7:58am
Originally posted by efish efish wrote:

Group 8
RomCom
Rural Road
A bird

Romcom for the 2nd time in 3 rounds. Grrrrrrr...
I’m fearing the judges may rule that this is more drama with a comedic tone as my humour never strays from dark and dry.
But I did enjoy the characters, so that was fun.

‘Lovebirds’
After a near fatal collision, a couple’s relationship blossoms into something rather unexpected

Edward 

I'd willingly have swapped both pol-sat (ch1) and suspense (ch3) for rom-com.... Mind you, I enjoyed pol-sat, but it's got a limited scope, particularly in a world where it's hard to satirise what is already a surreal parody.
TheMarkCooper View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMarkCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Mind you, I enjoyed pol-sat, but it's got a limited scope, particularly in a world where it's hard to satirise what is already a surreal parody.

Seriously..... I'm so glad I avoided anything political. Now if I could get the mother in law to stop watching the news 24-7....
ShScreenplayFairyTale/Rom Com
ShStory2021=Suspense
SueSS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SueSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 7:40pm
Group 3     Suspense / a repair shop / a bottle of champagne

End of Age

When an anti-aging billionaire visits a small backwoods town, the inhabitants get more than they bargained for.

It's my first time writing in all three genres from this challenge so far (Fantasy, Crime Caper, Suspense). I'm enjoying stepping out of my comfort zone.
ruthmac92 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruthmac92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 11:04pm
Group 8: Rom Com/Rural road/A bird

Oooh lots of group 8ers already! I'm always happy to get a rom com. I wrote this one a bit last minute, but I was pretty happy with it (apart from the logline not being super creative...)

AS THE CROW FLIES 
When Chloe has a run-in with a bird on an abandoned country road, help might just come from the place she least expects. 
SamSmith View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 11:40pm
TITLE:
Jiggery-Pokery at the Southern Exposition

LOGLINE:
During an expo in 1880s Louisville, a newsboy runs into a persuasive stranger equipped to change the outcome of the young man’s life.

Oh, gosh, where to start? This one was by far my biggest challenge. Historical fiction. I applaud everyone who was able to complete this round after such a whirlwind of a week following the siege at the Capitol and the ever-menacing pandemic. Between all that and having to juggle grad school with freelance work, I had a really tough time pinpointing what my story should be and how much research I could realistically put into it.

I've also never been a team sports fan, so the setting of a football/soccer field was an added challenge. Having to research the history of football *and* life in the 1880s, whew, that was intimidating. On top of that, it wasn't until after I submitted the story I realized I'd made some formatting errors (I didn't provide double spaces before action lines), and there was a typo involving a character's last name I thought I'd changed back. (Grr.) So I've got a lotta thoughts about Round 3. Smile

Anyway, sorry to ramble! I'm ultimately proud of myself and the lot of you for accomplishing this feat, whether it's once or several times over. I'll absolutely sign up for this again, between the thrill of the challenge and reading so many talented writers' work.
AndyRoninson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyRoninson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:51pm
GR. 9 Comedy / A courtyard / A printer

"I Am Trash"

Logline: A mockumentary following a day in the life of New York's dirtiest resident.

(I realize the logline isn't a grammatically complete sentence, but hopefully the judges won't care too much!)

On the one hand, comedy is always a tall order-- hard to be funny when you're told to be funny. On the other hand, I don't envy those of you who got ghost story or political satire. Oof. 

Just a cute backstory: I decided to center my story on a character I made up for my 4-year-old niece called "Garbage Monster." It's pretty simple: he's made of garbage, he eats garbage. When I play with her (over Zoom), I'll talk about how I don't want her snack, but I want to eat the plastic wrapper, and she'll say, "Nooooo, you have to eat real food!" And I'll get all grossed out by the normal food. It goes back and forth like that. That's pretty much it, but she loves it.

I use a sort of cliché Italian-New Yorker voice (picture any Martin Scorsese character) when I do it, so I set my screenplay in my hometown with a very specific apartment building courtyard in mind. And I think the mockumentary format must be related to binging The Office before it left Netflix. 

Kudos to everyone who completed this! What a joy it is to have an excuse to hide ourselves for a moment and make something! Win or lose, this experience has been 100% rewarding. Such a learning experience!

Edited by AndyRoninson - 14 Jan 2021 at 1:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123