NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Fiction results in 5 days...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 3:51pm
I kind of like the whole "Schroedinger's Contest" approach right now. We've all technically won until a winner has been announced.

Finals this time around was such a roller coaster ride. I had a love/hate relationship with my story while writing it and for weeks after. Impostor syndrome was breathing down my neck for sure. 

Ah well. Band-Aid will be pulled off soon. Woo hoo.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

I don't really think that my finals piece is going to be top ten material... I liked it, but then had a bit of feedback that really stung and shook my confidence. So I'm not really holding my breath.
Originally posted by Frefallr Frefallr wrote:

I was surprised by this, so I went back to read the comments.. I didn't see anything terribly critical, to be honest. Sometimes, I have to get some distance from the criticism because I tend to only hear the negative. Often, when I go back, I find it's not as bad as I thought.

You won't find the feedback I'm referencing on the forums, as it was offered to me directly/privately. Essentially they told me that using an established mythos was lazy storytelling, that my prose was so dense that it made wading through the story a complete snoozefest, and that I didn't really deserve to be in the finals... It was pretty painful to read.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nod1v1ng: That is not feedback. That's an attack. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I find most writers really want to help others succeed - but you always have those few (like the schoolyard bullies) who find their joy in cutting other people down. 

You are an amazing writer (and person, too!). Don't ever, ever let anyone make you think otherwise. Heart
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 7:58pm
I am so glad I'm not a judge this round - Every story I read was really good! I would have no idea how to judge (and no idea how optimistic to be about my own performance).

Also, Nod1v1ng- their feedback made me so angry! That would sting- there was nothing constructive about it. I hope the judges prove them wrong, but even if you don't make the top 10, that person was wrong anyway. <3

(I read your story but I am now realizing I never commented on it! I will correct this immediately)
Nbelousova View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nbelousova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 8:40pm
I'm trying really hard to be philosophical and mature about this - like seriously, I've never been published, I started doing these contests a year ago in order to get myself writing more, and to have made it to the final of this competition is so amazing... but I also kind of love the story I submitted and it would just be so lovely to have that validated (the $$$ wouldn't hurt, either). But I'd say I have 50/50 odds on being disqualified for not having enough dream, also quite a few people didn't like my final line, so... eep.

Nod1v1ng, that feedback is brutal!!! I would've been gutted if I received something like that... it's not at all helpful or constructive, either, just sounds like the story wasn't that person's taste but instead of acknowledging that and finding something constructive to say, they went full nuclear on you... not cool.

Anyway, ALL the stories that I read here have been really amazing. It's truly incredible to read so much great writing. Every story that I read deserves to be in the final. I have a few thoughts about which ones might be in the top 10, but that's just my personal speculation and I won't share it here, because we're 2 days away from hearing from the actual judges, so what's the point? Good luck everyone, it's been a pleasure, and I hope I see some of you in the SS challenge!
timmytimtimothy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmytimtimothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:53am
I've been eyeballs deep in another little writing project so this totally slipped my mind. Now, of course, it's gone and pitched a tent on the ole cerebral front lawn. 

No real expectations given the wonderful level of competition, being a first-timer and what not. Wouldn't say no to a top ten but not holding my breath this time around 😊 

Also quietly keen for potentially another round of micro and the upcoming short story comp!

Edited by timmytimtimothy - 13 Jan 2021 at 7:53am
AubreyZahn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AubreyZahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:48am
Y'all, between this coming out on Thursday night and the micro flash round one results coming out tonight, this week has been agonizingly slow. I've already spent most of the workweek doomscrolling (I'm in the U.S., so, ya know...) and getting very, very little done, which is just making the hours tick by even more slowly.
FF Challenge #3 - Minotaur
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:18am
Originally posted by AubreyZahn AubreyZahn wrote:

Y'all, between this coming out on Thursday night and the micro flash round one results coming out tonight, this week has been agonizingly slow. I've already spent most of the workweek doomscrolling (I'm in the U.S., so, ya know...) and getting very, very little done, which is just making the hours tick by even more slowly.

alas, there's plenty to doomscroll...  Cry

I'm technically working, but am waiting on data from that one employee that is holding up the whole process and has me dead in the water... so I'm just twiddling my thumbs over here. Gah!
DarlesHugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlesHugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:33am
This is my first time in this competition.  I wrote on my phone which is scary in and of it's self so I am a bit terrified.  I am thinking of trying the Short Story Competition.  

Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by DarlesHugs DarlesHugs wrote:

This is my first time in this competition.  I wrote on my phone which is scary in and of it's self so I am a bit terrified.  I am thinking of trying the Short Story Competition.  

Hope you're not planning on doing that on your phone as well! And you better sign up soon. Sign up deadline has gotta be soon.
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:39pm
I'm in the 250 but not the Flash final, however I think I'm more excited for the Flash results than the 250.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>