NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Fiction results in 5 days...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flash Fiction results in 5 days...
    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 10:43pm
I am both excited and terrified as we wait.  I made the mistake of writing a finals entry that is intensely personal to me, so the emotional stakes of the results are much higher than they've been in the past.  Who else is sweating it out with me?

TD
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
Oryx View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oryx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 11:25pm
Me also! What a ride its been, this competition!

Your Jedi story stuck with me. It was one of those that comes back into my head every now and then :)
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 3:23pm
I don't really think that my finals piece is going to be top ten material... I liked it, but then had a bit of feedback that really stung and shook my confidence. So I'm not really holding my breath. 

Round 1 micro results come out this week too. I wrote that piece in 20 minutes and submitted it with out betas, so I am gearing myself up for a double dose of rejection this week.
Oryx View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oryx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

I am gearing myself up for a double dose of rejection this week.

Considering your work has already scored in the top 1.8%, hopefully if it is "rejected" it won't feel like TOO much of a rejection :) 
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 4:51pm
Heck this is my third flash fiction final, and I swear it feels like the most competitive yet! Every story I read had some seriously strong points -- I think there's no way to tell how this shakes out for any of us. But no matter what you all gave it hell and came out a stronger writer because of it.

Fingers crossed for you all <3
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 5:40pm
Truthfully I feel like I'm already 'up' on my entry fee, on a couple of levels. 

First, I've been in a bunch of of NYCM screenplay finals where they're normally quite dead on the forums, and this short story one really opened my eyes to what it should be like! There was a fantastic range of stories to enjoy and plenty of rewarding feedback looks to engage with.

Second, since the first time I did a poem and it got some love here, all I've wanted to do is make it far enough through a contest to submit one in a final and see how it did. Not win, just see. And now I've done that. One off the bucket list.

So sure, I'm sweating bullets about the results because I'm human, but I genuinely think whether I place or not, this has been awesome. I've won.

Christ that sounds corny, but it's how I feel, sue me Smile

TG

Edited by Tim G - 10 Jan 2021 at 5:42pm
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 12:39am
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

I am both excited and terrified as we wait.  I made the mistake of writing a finals entry that is intensely personal to me, so the emotional stakes of the results are much higher than they've been in the past.  Who else is sweating it out with me?

TD
I think making it personal is not a mistake in any way. I think powerful stories come from the heart and are personal, and that's what it's all about, whether the personal ties are obvious or not. It will resonate (and by the way, I read yours and it was truly wonderful and rang true and was poignant and beautifully written, so there!) Good luck to all of us.
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 2:54am
Trey, your story was incredible. I'm with you in terms of being excited and terrified. The competition is truly fierce in this one. I didn't post my story because I knew I wouldn't have time to return feedback while working on my novel (plus I ended up getting covid.) But I peeked at a few stories and they were amazing. Thanks for posting this, Trey, and thank you to Tim for reminding us that we've all succeeded with our work no matter the results. Best of luck to all. -Alex 
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 9:50am
I'm not really sure how to feel. I liked my entry overall, but the judges HATED my last historical fiction entry (this past summer during the Short Story finals). 

Both my husband and I made it to the finals, so I'm praying one of us cracks the top 10...but who knows. I joked that if we somehow took first and second, we could plan a vacation to Turks and Caicos or some other beach paradise. LOLLOLLOL
JanetM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 11:44am
Sorry about your covid, Northern Writer. 

So cool about both you and your husband making finals, Jenspenden. That's amazing. 

I feel bad that I've fallen behind on my reading and commenting goals. Attempting to get it done before the results. So many great stories, as usual. Congrats to you all, regardless of the results. This contest is a Masterclass in writing. So thanks for making it worth the price of admission.Clap

I always get super nervous scrolling the results. Like heart-pounding nervous. lol. I think it will be the same this time, even though I definitely feel like I've already won by making it here. 

Good luck everyone!

G81 SS The Momento
Micro250 The Younger Man HM
R2 G10 Rhyming The Substitute HM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>