NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for blog hosting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote januaryfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions for blog hosting
    Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:24pm
I've been looking at the various services: TypePad, Wordpress.com, Wordpress.org, Blogger....

Any recommendations for where to host stories? Fan favorites? What do most NYCMidnigthers prefer?

Thanks!
Maerzkeb View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maerzkeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:57pm
I use blogger. Mostly just because it was the first one I saw when I looked. I'm not the right person to ask.
EvanDigby View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvanDigby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:03pm
My only suggestion is be careful about posting on a public blog if you have any desire to market it for publication. If that doesn't cross your mind, then I would think they're all suitable. 

If that does, you may want to try hosting it on something like freepdfhosting.com. Basically you upload it as a PDF, there is no public link, and you can link it to people in the private review forum. The link will expire after a month though.
Please review my story!

Group 3 / Historical Fiction / Public Restroom / A deck of playing cards.
http://forums.nycmidnight.com/matter-of-contention3-historical-fiction_topic3723.html
leehallison View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leehallison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:16pm
I password protect my work on my blog, then give the password to the private review forum when I link to the story.  I think that makes it "unpublished" in the eyes of most publishers, although I am not a lawyer nor published yet, so can't say for certain.  Having a blog & having readers could help at some point when/if you become a published author (I think!).  I've enjoyed following writers I met here, some are writing other things on their blogs, and I like the connection.
I use wordpress.com because it's more flexible than blogspot/blogger.  You can waste time fooling around with backgrounds, links, pages, posts etc...or you can keep it simple & spend time writing instead of blog programming.  (Guess what I do.)
You can't password protect on the others. 
januaryfire View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote januaryfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:18pm
This is my first foray into NYCMidnight. I wonder, are people less likely to review if it's a pdf that has to open a new program? Is there much of a market for flash fiction? Asking because I don't really know. I'm participating to hopefully improve my writing and stretch in other formats. My main focus is scriptwriting--film, tv, web series, etc. 
Catlynn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:32pm

Depends on how much you want to put into it. If you're looking for a quick and easy place to post your work that you can customize a bit, Blogger is a good bet. There's a little bit more of a learning curve with Wordpress, but it's also more sophisticated in what it will allow you to do.

If you just want to be able to give a link to your stories to family and friends, and aren't really concerned with putting them on display, Google docs works great.
AdenPenn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdenPenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:32pm
There is also Posterous which allows you to password protect your work, and it's very straight forward and easy.  The best part is being able to just post from your email.
EvanDigby View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvanDigby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by januaryfire januaryfire wrote:

This is my first foray into NYCMidnight. I wonder, are people less likely to review if it's a pdf that has to open a new program? Is there much of a market for flash fiction? Asking because I don't really know. I'm participating to hopefully improve my writing and stretch in other formats. My main focus is scriptwriting--film, tv, web series, etc. 

I've only done one other competition, but in my experience I had a pretty average, if not above average, number of reviews of my work. I don't think it caused any problems as a PDF. Probably would cause problems with a less supported format.

Anyone here that wouldn't review a PDF?

There's quite a big market for flash fiction (relatively speaking) and short stories in general. Keep in mind that the per word rate isn't going to go up for flash fiction, so you're not looking to get paid more than 10-50 dollars per work for flash fiction, if anything. Royalties in some very rare cases. The biggest reason to get flash fiction / short fiction published is "street cred" for when you are looking to propose bigger works to publishers. 

I don't have anything published yet, but a few of my friends do. One of them just landed a 3 book deal (1st one out in Sept: http://www.christophermeades.com/ -- shameless plug) and shorts were his route through the door to have people look at his novels 

Check out http://www.duotrope.com to search for fiction markets and have a look-see yourself.

Evan
Please review my story!

Group 3 / Historical Fiction / Public Restroom / A deck of playing cards.
http://forums.nycmidnight.com/matter-of-contention3-historical-fiction_topic3723.html
januaryfire View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote januaryfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:42pm
Thanks. I'll check out Posterous.

I am wanting a blog but not sure exactly what I want it to be...
sutekh137 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutekh137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:57pm
Analyzing my data store (it includes URLs) --

Out of 131 posted stories in round 1 of SSC2010:

Blogspot: 70
Google Sites/Docs: 10
Direct posting to forums as text: 9
WordPress: 8
LiveJournal: 6
FreePDFHosting: 5
Scribd: 3
MediaFire: 2
deviantART: 1

That's about 114 of the stories, so the other 17 or so were on personal web pages.

I might keep a better track of hosting so I can more easily tally things up as stories are posted this time...  We'll see.

Thanks,
JoeK
==============================================
Slow down. In attempting to do everything at once, you're missing it all.
==============================================
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>