NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Word Counts on your Micro 250 Drafts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMGardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 5:27am
My first draft was just over 300 words but I LOVE cutting things out. Editing is my favourite part. I cut the whole first paragraph. Obviously, then I realised that my action was in there, so had to slip it in somewhere else 😅

Good luck everyone!
MichaelAndrews View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelAndrews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 5:28am
first draft was 256 words.

spent an hour and a half editing and redrafting. got it to 249.

reread it and realised i'd forgotten my word!!!

reedited again, cut out words that didn't need to be in there and submitted at 239.
Have fun. Be Kind.
RaeJohnstone View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaeJohnstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 6:35am
First time I've written something so short, so I was pleased when my first draft was 258. Went up and down a fair bit with editing, and ended on exactly 250.
Tunamonkeys View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tunamonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 8:38am
The last challenge I entered was 100 words and made this one feel easier! You don't realize how thankful you are to be able to describe something and slow the story pace. I worked a 12 hour shift and in the middle I got to exactly 250, but I played with the ending and flirted between 249 and 251 for a few minutes. 

It's nice to write for something that isn't work.
BrianRHarris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianRHarris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:34pm
I had 279 on the first draft and wound up with 250 on the nose.
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by EMGardner EMGardner wrote:

My first draft was just over 300 words but I LOVE cutting things out.

You are so very much like an alien being to me, but I appreciate the diversity the universe has to offer. I hope your time on Earth has been enjoyable so far. Try the doughnuts; they're delicious.
Paul Bee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 2:57pm
I am calling the cops on everybody who didn't submit exactly 250 words
250 round 1

https://forums.nycmidnight.com
/topic50789_post534861.html#534861

250 R2

https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r2-gr-21-drama-losing-keys-vest_topic51497.html
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Paul Bee Paul Bee wrote:

I am calling the cops on everybody who didn't submit exactly 250 words

Right?! I make it a point to use EXACTLY 250 words.
#amrevising
CarstenKudra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarstenKudra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 3:49pm
Wow 166 words only! Well done on managing to create such a compact story!
Tinyminx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinyminx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

Fifty words is a fair amount, but hopefully not so much that you had to remove anything too important.

Between drafts I replaced several sentences entirely as well as a handful of words. They felt so essential until they were gone, and then I realized that they had huge added value for me as the writer, but probably minimal value for the majority of readers. In some cases the removals were a flat out improvement.

This is exactly me. I'm sure at first that every word is vital. Then as I start to remove or find better phrasing I realise I was just being precious and narrow minded! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234