NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Word Counts on your Micro 250 Drafts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:42pm
I spent a lot of time fleshing out what I was going to write about so once I started, I never went over 260 words. For every change I wanted to make, I knew something else would have to come out so I did that immediately. My count then dropped down to 238, made a few more tweaks and it was exactly 250 words. As my own worst critic, if it had been more than 350 words in draft, there would have been either too much detail or it covered too much and I would have stressed over what to remove. I am pleased with how my submission turned out and can't wait to read everyone's.
masurie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:19pm
I didn't have an issue with the word count so much as the topic; I ended up drafting three different stories and couldn't choose among them.
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by masurie masurie wrote:

I didn't have an issue with the word count so much as the topic; I ended up drafting three different stories and couldn't choose among them.

I think that's why I was a little happy to get historical fiction. Normally I am flooded with ideas and they get wildly complex fast. Picking what to pursue and what to abandon becomes daunting. But with historical fiction, given that I'm not well versed in it and it has to draw on real history, I was happy enough when I found something that would work with my cues that I just settled down to write it. 
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 11:54pm
I started at 600, thinking this was 500 words. So, had a bit of work in front of me. But I've become a bit of an expert now at cutting. So many beta readers have shown me the way (though they haven't broken me of my comma addiction). I really enjoy editing down now. Maybe I'm perverse. I think I write more just to see what will end up staying. I'm in a short story class right now, and my story seems sooooo wordy....
Cat M View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cat M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 4:30am
Yes!
LilyCat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:03pm
I was trained to write short items for periodicals, so I hit 250 and massaged it back and forth a bit until everything looked decent. It's better than writing to 150, that's for sure. I did not enjoy those.
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:36pm
Yep, I'm one of the short before building up kind of gals. I have no problem chopping up the excess. That said, there's never much. I'm economical with words on the creative front. I think it stems from having longer academic chapters to contend with. It's tough at the top.LOL

Edited by Nimhathuna - 23 Nov 2020 at 8:37pm
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:46pm
I ALWAYS write too much and have to cut. This time I was 100 words or so in and still setting the scene, so I didn't even finish a first draft to count before I started rewriting.

But I don't mind. I know my scene-setting is generally too long and it's great discipline to have to cut it. Brings me into the action sooner. 

My biggest challenge is going back and editing before I complete a first draft. Not quite so bad in microfiction, but a nightmare when I'm trying to write a novel!
ttennyson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttennyson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 10:13pm
This was my first time doing the contest and my first draft was 650. I tend to be an overly wordy, meandering writer and this was really an exercise in efficiency for me. Also in saying a lot of past and future in the immediate scene. I am looking forward to posting in the forum to get everyone's feedback on my submission, but I understand I have to wait until a confirmation email comes out?

Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by ttennyson ttennyson wrote:

This was my first time doing the contest and my first draft was 650. I tend to be an overly wordy, meandering writer and this was really an exercise in efficiency for me. Also in saying a lot of past and future in the immediate scene. I am looking forward to posting in the forum to get everyone's feedback on my submission, but I understand I have to wait until a confirmation email comes out?

Yes. We should be getting the go-ahead email to,orrow, and then we can post on the MF250 Board (which may not be set up yet but will be)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>