FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was this not a 48 hour comp last time?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ramblejamble View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblejamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was this not a 48 hour comp last time?
    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

But really, if I had to argue 48hrs for the micro, it would come down to two things: 
  1. People sign up well in advance, and life is unpredictable. There has to be a limit set somewhere, but I feel like there is a huge difference between one day and two days if, let's say, your kid starts projectile vomiting.
  2. The beta-reading process seems to really help a lot of people up their game, but it's harder to do with the shorter time frame. 

I agree! I think the first round at least should be 48 hours!

kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:09pm
Quote And the short story challenge has a different deadline/word count each round!!!

The short story format was the one that made me paranoid about checking the rules for each challenge. 

I don't have a problem with the 24hr limit, but I do find it odd there seems to be an assumption that the shorter micros need less time than the flash. I'd rather do a 1,000-word story in 24hrs than a 100-word story. The former has more leeway and forgiveness. With the latter, every word is quite exposed, and the weight of having one out of place is much heavier.

But really, if I had to argue 48hrs for the micro, it would come down to two things: 
  1. People sign up well in advance, and life is unpredictable. There has to be a limit set somewhere, but I feel like there is a huge difference between one day and two days if, let's say, your kid starts projectile vomiting.
  2. The beta-reading process seems to really help a lot of people up their game, but it's harder to do with the shorter time frame. 
But that's just sort of rambling for no real reason. It is what it is. I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who involuntarily DNF'ed.
emilymyoga View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote emilymyoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:29am
Originally posted by A.J. Gemick A.J. Gemick wrote:

Why on earth does everything else have a 48 hr deadline, even the 100 word micro challenge but not the 250??

100 word micro was 24 hours as well!! And the short story challenge has a different deadline/word count each round!!! That one is the most confusing for me LOL
Micro 100 2020: Downstream (5th overall)
Micro 250 2022: What We Lost in the Tide (9th overall)
ursanz View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ursanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:17am
Originally posted by LindaNZ LindaNZ wrote:

Thanks. That little ouchy icon with a black eye totally fits my mood right now.. 

I can't believe I read that email like 3 times, so worried I was going to miss an important instruction, like how a prompt must be used or something that I totally misread the date for sunday...  gah.

I should prbly still post it in the forums for feedback anyway, so it's not a total loss...

Ouch :(  Yeah, I just remembered everything being 48 hours. 

I don't even know exactly what my final version was, since I made the changes on the submission form LOL. My word was "worst" so I am pretty sure I added in something really, really trite like "It was the site of his worst memories" and deleted something else. It just all made bugger all sense anyway.  

Also, I think I submitted at 12.00, not 11.59, so maybe it was too late anyway. 

That's pretty hardcore.  Composing in the submission window!  LOL
LindaNZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LindaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:01am

Thanks. That little ouchy icon with a black eye totally fits my mood right now.. 

I can't believe I read that email like 3 times, so worried I was going to miss an important instruction, like how a prompt must be used or something that I totally misread the date for sunday...  gah.

I should prbly still post it in the forums for feedback anyway, so it's not a total loss...

Ouch :(  Yeah, I just remembered everything being 48 hours. 

I don't even know exactly what my final version was, since I made the changes on the submission form LOL. My word was "worst" so I am pretty sure I added in something really, really trite like "It was the site of his worst memories" and deleted something else. It just all made bugger all sense anyway.  

Also, I think I submitted at 12.00, not 11.59, so maybe it was too late anyway. 
Perils of Ambition 2023 500 R1 (HisFic)

Ultimate Boot Camp FF 2023 R2 (Horr
A.J. Gemick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.J. Gemick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:23am

2021 FFC1 Gr40 Romance A Long Walk
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:17am

Well, that was fast and furious! As I was pasting it in, I realised that I hadn't used my word, so made some really awful "last minute" changes. Eh, it's done. It's not great. 

I feel like such a noob, not checking the deadline! Wacko

Whelp, I'm the total noob- I even read the dang email & submit age and yet somehow *STILL*  completely missed that the deadline was SATURDAY not Sunday... aarrrrggghhh!!!  Fraking hell, I even whipped up something right now to make sure I had something to submit and I completely missed the deadline...  aaarrggghhhh, I feel like such an idiot. Cry

Why on earth does everything else have a 48 hr deadline, even the 100 word micro challenge but not the 250??  I swear I'm just going to stop trying on these micro stories.. I screwed up the 100 one too by not catching the fact the exact word had to be used, not alluded to like in the short story comps..  blargh. 

The 100 Microfiction was also 24 hours.

Feel for ya Ouch
A.J. Gemick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.J. Gemick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 11:59pm

Well, that was fast and furious! As I was pasting it in, I realised that I hadn't used my word, so made some really awful "last minute" changes. Eh, it's done. It's not great. 

Whelp, I'm the total noob- I even read the dang email & submit age and yet somehow *STILL*  completely missed that the deadline was SATURDAY not Sunday... aarrrrggghhh!!!  Fraking hell, I even whipped up something right now to make sure I had something to submit and I completely missed the deadline...  aaarrggghhhh, I feel like such an idiot. Cry

Why on earth does everything else have a 48 hr deadline, even the 100 word micro challenge but not the 250??  I swear I'm just going to stop trying on these micro stories.. I screwed up the 100 one too by not catching the fact the exact word had to be used, not alluded to like in the short story comps..  blargh. 
2021 FFC1 Gr40 Romance A Long Walk
LindaNZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LindaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:04am

Perils of Ambition 2023 500 R1 (HisFic)

Ultimate Boot Camp FF 2023 R2 (Horr
danni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote danni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 11:52pm
Linda, maybe you made the same mistake I did - the last nyc midnight challenge I did was flash fiction, which was indeed 48 hrs. So I sat down to write a little at 9:30pm tonight and went ooooooh wait a minute.
Luckily 250 isn’t impossible in an hour or two! Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>