NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is everyone feeling at the end of Round 2?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ReneC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 9:06pm
Another Group #40 here, and I was bummed by Historical Fiction when I got it. I spent the first day going down an American Civil War path that I wasn't keen on but couldn't think of anything else. I woke up the second day determined to either find a way to feel it or find something else, and I found something else. What I came up with is low hanging fruit for anyone in my group, but I think I made it my own and made it stand out in case anyone else decided to write about the same thing. 

I like what I ended up with. It isn't exciting, but it has heart. I'm hoping that will count.
JCardello View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCardello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by ReneC ReneC wrote:

I like what I ended up with. It isn't exciting, but it has heart. I'm hoping that will count.

I think heart goes along way. Good luck to you heat mate!
Check out my CH3 screenplay A Ticket to Bliss
glowsw View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glowsw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:16am
Got fairy tale which I wasn't sure about at first but then I actually had an idea pretty quickly. I had a lot fun writing my first draft. And then came the editing... and the minor panic that I didn't set enough of it at the assigned location... and the cutting all the clever dialogue I liked but didn't need. Five pages are rough.

Overall I'm happy enough with how things went but I don't know how confident I am. Either way, I had fun so it is what it is.
SC R1 G11 Anikha in the Sky
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:47am
Originally posted by glowsw glowsw wrote:

Got fairy tale which I wasn't sure about at first but then I actually had an idea pretty quickly. I had a lot fun writing my first draft. And then came the editing... and the minor panic that I didn't set enough of it at the assigned location... and the cutting all the clever dialogue I liked but didn't need. Five pages are rough.

Overall I'm happy enough with how things went but I don't know how confident I am. Either way, I had fun so it is what it is.

I also got fairy tale and over all was pretty pleased with until I started thinking about how the judges usually hate anything that is not off the wall, and mine aint, lol.
glowsw View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glowsw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I also got fairy tale and over all was pretty pleased with until I started thinking about how the judges usually hate anything that is not off the wall, and mine aint, lol.

This is only my second NYC Midnight and my first time getting Fairy Tale so I really wasn't sure what to do with it in terms of what the judges might look for. I actually went back to older rounds to read through some. People are really creative with it!
SC R1 G11 Anikha in the Sky
DavidRRoberts View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DavidRRoberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 4:55pm
Me too. Set my alarm for 6am. Read the brief. Dozed on it. Had an idea. Fleshed it out. Got some feedback. Redrafted. Done by 11 am. Started new job in the morning.

Quite pleased with the result. Mind you I was happy last time and came 14th, so there you go! 🤪
sgspeed View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 5:25pm
After being completely hung up on the Crime Caper aspect of first one and not writing at all (although I pulled a short story out of those prompts, just not that genre), this one almost wrote itself. 
Oh, well. 
MF250 The Mother
250 MF RD.2 Hush Little Baby
Adleejr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adleejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:00am
Did my best in the time allowed. Didn’t place last round and I don’t think I will this time, but...

I finished something! I’m sure all of us here have a relationship with procrastination to some degree. I claim it as a sibling of mine. But this quick deadline and being forced to write what you’re given is an awesome mental exercise. I learned a lot and stretched some storytelling muscles I didn’t know I had. So huge success!!

That said, I was assigned a Mystery and I love mysteries, so I thought this would be a breeze. It certainly was not. Can’t seem to come up with an idea short enough for five pages. So I end up cutting mercilessly after I’m done and I submit a first draft at midnight on the nose with no rewrites. Whew, Child!

Ah well. It’s been a ride. Cant wait to do it again next year. 
Challenge #1:"Win/Win"
Challenge #2: ”Balance”
iam_laurad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iam_laurad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 2:47am
I'm not sure how I'm feeling really. I got Sci-Fi and was really pleased with the concept, but about half way through realised it was way too big to fit into 5 pages. Then came the scrambling to cut ideas out without losing what I liked about it in the first place.

Anyway, I'm now trying to develop the core idea into a feature, so the inspiration alone is enough for me to class this round as a win. Even though I'm not really that happy with my final submission. Or the typos (yes, plural) that I missed... Shocked
Short Screenplay Challenge #1 Le Boucher (Historical Fiction).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345