NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What happens when you win a NYC Midnight contest ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What happens when you win a NYC Midnight contest ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Mountstuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happens when you win a NYC Midnight contest ?
    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 3:49am
Is there a ceremony or a meeting of some sort ?
No info on the website. Or are the winners just contacted privately and sent their prize money ?

I'm new to these contests and so enthusiastic about them, all my friends and family here in France are asking for more details but I can't find a lot of actual info on the website. It all revolves around the organisation of the contests, and there's nothing about the "coronation" of winners

Edited by Logan Mountstuart - 20 Oct 2020 at 3:51am
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:50am
The highest I've scored is fifth place. I just got an email congratulating me and asking for PayPal info :) I have no idea if there's cooler secret fireworks shows if you snag first place

I've heard of a few anthologies/contests having award ceremonies but I think they're not super common

Edited by taaaylor - 20 Oct 2020 at 4:52am
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 1:02pm
They send you a congratulations email, detailing the different prizes (many of which are email links for free software/books) and asking to verify payment details.  NYCM uses a very talented artist to create original artwork for the winning story in each fiction (flash and short) contest, but you don’t see it until it’s posted on the website.  Speaking of posting the winning story/pic, NYCM also offers a contract to publish that story online (you don’t HAVE to do it, but why wouldn’t you?) and they pay you extra (beyond the prize money) for that right.  I lobbied Charlie pretty hard to post an interview with the fiction contest winners, just like they do with the screenplay winners (they used to do that with the fiction folks too, but quit many years ago.)  He initially seemed pretty gung-ho to do it, but nothing came of it.  If I ever win again, I’ll beg more. :)

TD
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

They send you a congratulations email, detailing the different prizes (many of which are email links for free software/books) and asking to verify payment details.  NYCM uses a very talented artist to create original artwork for the winning story in each fiction (flash and short) contest, but you don’t see it until it’s posted on the website.  Speaking of posting the winning story/pic, NYCM also offers a contract to publish that story online (you don’t HAVE to do it, but why wouldn’t you?) and they pay you extra (beyond the prize money) for that right.  I lobbied Charlie pretty hard to post an interview with the fiction contest winners, just like they do with the screenplay winners (they used to do that with the fiction folks too, but quit many years ago.)  He initially seemed pretty gung-ho to do it, but nothing came of it.  If I ever win again, I’ll beg more. :)

TD

Yeah, but the downside of said interview in Screenplay/Short Screenplay is that it also includes a large mug shot that ends up as the focal point of the "Thank you for your entry" page in the next year's competition. So each time you submit the following year, you're faced with your own eyes staring back at you for as many rounds as you make it through. Talk about judging! Wacko
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Logan Mountstuart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Mountstuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 3:25am
Interviews of winners would be awesome !
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 10:54pm
Sadly, this is a question so many of us will never know the answer to as it will be lost in the sands of time - yeah, I know eh.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 3:06pm
Looking at the amounts awarded for prizes, 1-3rd at least for sure need to be reporting it as taxable income. (That would include cash and the value of the non-cash prizes.)
 Post Reply Post Reply