NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody else only JUST started writing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by timmytimtimothy timmytimtimothy wrote:

Originally posted by KelsNotChels KelsNotChels wrote:

I only now have a freaking first draft. This weekend has been so weird, and I only got started mid morning. Now I’m at the mercy of the beta spreadsheet to see if anyone can do a late-stage read for me! AHHHHHH. This is NOT what I wanted this round to be like! 😩

Oh no! How are you getting on with it now?

I'm just working through my draft. Hoping to submit in an hour and then BED!

I had one hero read for me so far, and it's given me at least a little bit of grounding! 

About 100 words to cut, and hoping for more feedback, but I think I'll have something to submit which is all I can hope for at this point! HA!
north_north_west View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote north_north_west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:31pm
Oh man  - I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Working all day and finally with a submittable but not great draft.

Taking a break for the moment.  If anyone wants a beta read, I'm open - please PM.
north_north_west
FF R3 The Roadrunner Gambit
FF R2 Dog-ocracy in America

KelsNotChels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by north_north_west north_north_west wrote:

Oh man  - I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Working all day and finally with a submittable but not great draft.

Taking a break for the moment.  If anyone wants a beta read, I'm open - please PM.

Sending a PM now. :)

ophelialit74 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Jenguin26 Jenguin26 wrote:

Originally posted by ophelialit74 ophelialit74 wrote:

I'm squarely in the middle of "I don't know what to do-ville." 

I hammered out a story last night and was fairly pleased with it, though it's in my least favorite genre--spy. 

Got up this morning, sent it off to my circle of betas, and IT WAS UNIVERSALLY HATED. Hahahahaha! No idea what to do now. Scrap it and start over? Submit it anyway? Drink heavily? Sigh. 

Oh no!! Why was it hated? Is it at all salvageable or do they just hate the whole idea?

If I'm being honest, I think they were all just in the mood to yank my chain a little bit today; they're mostly family members, and I don't know why I haven't found a group less likely to push my buttons, but here we are. I took what they said with a grain of salt, made some changes and churned out something I'm pretty pleased with. Big smile
rthomas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:12pm

Originally posted by Jenguin26 Jenguin26 wrote:

I'm squarely in the middle of "I don't know what to do-ville." 

I hammered out a story last night and was fairly pleased with it, though it's in my least favorite genre--spy. 

Got up this morning, sent it off to my circle of betas, and IT WAS UNIVERSALLY HATED. Hahahahaha! No idea what to do now. Scrap it and start over? Submit it anyway? Drink heavily? Sigh. 

Oh no!! Why was it hated? Is it at all salvageable or do they just hate the whole idea?

If I'm being honest, I think they were all just in the mood to yank my chain a little bit today; they're mostly family members, and I don't know why I haven't found a group less likely to push my buttons, but here we are. I took what they said with a grain of salt, made some changes and churned out something I'm pretty pleased with. Big smile

Good for you. My husband is no longer allowed to read my pieces until I'm ready for him to do the obligatory "ooh, ahh" once they are submitted. Turns out I cannot accept feedback from him, and it's much better for our marriage this way Clap
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:23pm
lol, I was busy all day yesterday, so I was waiting until today to start, and then naturally my computer updated for like 3 hours.  Didn't end up starting until like 4 EDT, which is much closer than what I've been doing for the competition this year.  The good thing about it though was that it allowed me to watch the entirety of season 6 of schitt's creek which gave me a new and MUCH better idea for my story.  

Anyway, finished, got it beta'd by few peeps, and now its in.

I WASH MY HANDS OF IT.
timmytimtimothy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmytimtimothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 12:02am
Submitted 2 mins before the deadline and I have NO IDEA what I've just written.

ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 12:05am

Hahaha I came here to say exactly the same thing! That was the closest I've ever gotten to the deadline - I almost gave up about 2 hours ago but couldn't convince myself to ditch my 400 word draft. Happy I got something in, even if it's nothing like what I intended.
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
rthomas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 12:31am
Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

Hahaha I came here to say exactly the same thing! That was the closest I've ever gotten to the deadline - I almost gave up about 2 hours ago but couldn't convince myself to ditch my 400 word draft. Happy I got something in, even if it's nothing like what I intended.

Hah! I beat you both by three minutes LOL Congratulations to all for submitting, will look forward to finding you in the forums!
KelsNotChels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 12:49am
Thank you to my fellow late-bloomers for all the short notice reads tonight! 

♥️
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>