NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-English words?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-English words?
    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 3:47pm
So... the gods of NCY Midnight blessed me with Historical Fiction. 

As a South African, my mind went straight to Apartheid history...so now we're in a blacksmith workshop on a bench on Liliesleaf Farm plotting to overthrow the apartheid government. 

I digress. 

After 3 years of living in America and suppressing a good half of my lexicon, there are so many gorgeous Afrikaans and Xhosa words that would fit in my story. Of course there are translations, but has anyone got experience in using footnote translations of single words? 

Boep is such a great word for "beer belly", and impimpi is far more descriptive than "traitor"

Would it be too contrived to use them? 
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 4:30pm
I think you should run with his idea! I would definitely say include those words, but maybe give enough context that you don't need the footnote to define it? They seem like they would provide great texture and realism.

The footnotes might be a bit jarring, imo. I have seen some great novels from African writers (my mind is wandering to Ben Okri, even though he's Nigerian) where context alone could carry the definition of a non-English word.

Good words and good luck! I'm looking forward to reading your entry if you choose to post to the forums :)
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
kolohe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kolohe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 4:53pm
I wouldn't do the translation, just use the words in a way that the reader can at least make a good guess at the meaning based on the context. I used a number of Hawaiian words (not common ones ;)) in my round one hist fic and didn't do any translations, and nobody (judges or forum readers) had any negative comment on it.
Calantha View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Calantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:13pm
Thanks that's really encouraging! And a good way to think of context clues. The linguistic breadth of a country with 11 official languages has my 9y/o character doing delighted cartwheels and bollemakiesies on the lawn in front of the manor house :) 
Lynne M View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lynne M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:21pm
That sounds like a wonderful idea! On my last entry, I used a couple of Haitian creole words (even my title was due to the location being set in the French Quarter). The judges didn’t mark me down because of it (I only placed 10th, but that was because of poor character development). Good luck!!!
http://tinyurl.com/y9upqv9e] GoodLuck
MikeWG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 3:48am
I came across translations mainly in my work. I often fly on business trips to Europe. I can still talk with the dictionary. But translating reports is a nightmare for me. I was recommended a site https://isaccurate.com/vietnamese-translation-services and decided to consult with experts. Thanks to this, I was able to translate all the documentation correctly. I made a conclusion for myself that you need to learn foreign languages.

Edited by MikeWG - 12 Jul 2021 at 11:12am
BrNorton007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrNorton007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 3:42pm
Thanks for info!
JanetRodriguez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetRodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 12:52am
Hi there! I love this question~ not only because I lived in Jozi for 7 years! I agree about Afrikaans and Xhosa, but (as with every micro story) the word has to pull its weight for the piece. If you decide to do this, will you please send it to me? Smile Janet
Janet
C1 G32 "Locusts"
C2 G10 "Sculpture"

Ksoucy416 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksoucy416 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 12:49am
Definitely looking forward to reading this piece. I agree with everyone else, I think the authentic word can absolutely stand on its own if its used properly, and it adds culture and weight to the characters and story. Please post!
 Post Reply Post Reply