NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beta readers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipaSweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beta readers?
    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 11:13pm
Hi, all -

I have seen other writers posting about having "beta" readers prior to submission. Is there a formal way of linking up with other writers or is this something that kinda evolves naturally between folks who get to know each other via the forums?

~Phillipa
FFC2020 CH1 Yellow Jack's Welcome (Ghost Story).
FFC2020 CH2 Cempasúchil (Spy).
Twitter @PhillipaSweet
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:39am
It’s a little of both honestly.  During each writing period, look for a topic mentioning beta-ing and you can add yourself to the list as well as find people to swap with.  Just gotta email them!

That being said, Me and someone else beta’d each other this time just by direct messaging each other.  

The spreadsheets probably the easiest way though

Edited by amlewi08 - 01 Sep 2020 at 12:39am
dcontarato View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcontarato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:01am
Here's the link to the one from the 2nd round of Flash Fiction so you can get an idea:

Like amlewi08 said, you add your email, availability and preferences, if any, and try to ping other writers via email to see if they are available.  

I also have my go-to betas that I email directly, but I got to know them by using the spreadsheet in previous contests!

Edited by dcontarato - 01 Sep 2020 at 1:02am
MikeWG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 5:42am
Thanks for the information. It is good that there are experts who can help with the writing. I have huge problems with this. Somehow I found a site https://writinguniverse.com/argumentative-essay-topics/ and decided to try to simplify the process of writing my essay. Even choosing a topic was difficult for me. And would definitely not have coped up with my task by myself.

Edited by MikeWG - 16 May 2021 at 2:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply