NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How close have you gotten to submission deadline?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How close have you gotten to submission deadline?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How close have you gotten to submission deadline?
    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 12:58am
I was literally clicking the submit button at 11:56 PM tonight. Talk about stress - I was holding my breath watching my computer take its sweet time pulling up my story to upload, and it got me wondering if anyone else has any similar stories from either this round or a previous round? Anyone ever submit right at the deadline?
MF 100 Word '22 R1 G44 Good Boy
SCW '22 RD1 G29 Inseparable
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 1:09am
Tonight was the closest I've ever come to missing it. Forget a drink, I feel like I need the whole bottle.
poe-etic View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poe-etic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 1:13am
I submitted at 10ish, but then impulsively resubmitted at 11:58, which felt risky and I'm still wondering what I was thinking. I've never resubmitted, let alone submitted 11:58. This was a really rough round for me. Gonna have to make peace with being forced to peace out before round 3.
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Tonight was the closest I've ever come to missing it. Forget a drink, I feel like I need the whole bottle.

HAHA, yikes! Glad you got made it Smile
MF 100 Word '22 R1 G44 Good Boy
SCW '22 RD1 G29 Inseparable
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 1:17am
Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

HAHA, yikes! Glad you got made it Smile

Thanks. No betas, so I'm flying blind!
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 1:57am
My people!

I started writing at 8:30am (Australia time) and submitted at 1:20pm (deadline here is 1:30). Honestly still in shock that I managed to write something that not only makes sense but I also am kinda proud of :)
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 2:04am
This might be the earliest I’ve ever finished. I was ready to submit last night but I’m super grateful for some betas today who helped me polish it up. I don’t know what that means with scoring though that I finished early - I’m nervous about that. Good luck, everyone!

Alex
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
eaintree View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaintree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 2:11am
I submit inside 10 minutes of deadline every single time.

I don't mean to, it just works out that way.
SC 2021, Mystery: Striking The Sun

Micro 100, 2021, Sci-fi: That Time Of The Month
eaintree View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eaintree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 2:13am
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

This might be the earliest I’ve ever finished. I was ready to submit last night but I’m super grateful for some betas today who helped me polish it up. I don’t know what that means with scoring though that I finished early - I’m nervous about that. Good luck, everyone!

Alex

Doesn't mean anything. It's not like the judges have a finishing-time Excel sheet to refer to.
SC 2021, Mystery: Striking The Sun

Micro 100, 2021, Sci-fi: That Time Of The Month
cheddarbaked View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheddarbaked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 5:02am
11:58 pm. Due to weekend busyness I couldn't start writing until two hours before the deadline. I was looking at the clock and sweating bullets for the last half hour or so! In the past I've tried to come up with creative, thoughtful titles and synopses--not this time. This time, I literally had to go with the first thing I could think of, otherwise it wasn't getting submitted on time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>