NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 day novella, anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VannaGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Stodmyk Stodmyk wrote:

This is a direct competitor for the original (and still operating) 3-day Novel Competition: https://www.3daynovel.com

Yes, you're right. I get the impression that the creator of the 3-Day Novella contest used to participate in the original contest, but was unhappy with its administration, particularly the length of time it took them to announce the winners. For example, last year's contest was Labor Day weekend and they didn't release the results until June. I had never heard of either contest, so when I saw the post about it here, I went ahead and signed up. I'm sure either contest will be a great experience. 
A.J. Gemick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A.J. Gemick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 4:26am
Thanks for sharing this Zelda!  (missed the early bird fee deadline, drat..)

So obviously planning/potting/outlining beforehand is cool, and honor's system to only write it during the 3 days...but do the characters/ideas/scenes need to have been created new for this contest?  Meaning one can't expand on a previous NYCM entry?  just curious..

This is tempting...though I've always managed to flame out on my nanowrimos- Nov is just not a good month for me, so not sure that only 3 days wouldn't be an epic hot mess...   dunno if it makes sense to sign up for the contest so late in the game..I assume that the earlier one starts outlining/plotting, the better off they'll be?  Hrmm...
2021 FFC1 Gr40 Romance A Long Walk
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 2:49pm
That's a really good question about expanding on a previous short story!! I'm not sure what the answer is, but I've found the people running the new contest to be very approachable!! If you find out, let us know!! 

November is often a hard month for me, too, and my NaNovels often don't come out as I'd like! I'm not sure how I managed to write 17,400 words last year for the 3-day event, and I have no true belief that I can pull it off again, but somehow it must be doable if I did it once!! I mean, the planets have to be in perfect alignment. (Although, let's face it--this year, the planets' alignment has led to a pandemic, social unrest, and destruction, so...) I'd ask how good of a first-draft writer you are. Do you have to edit a million times, or can you write "clean" as you're going? (No matter what you do, there'll be mistakes, but you know what I mean.) If you can write "clean" and feel like the planets might be on your side, I'd say, go for it!! 
ash101_49 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ash101_49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 3:21pm
I actually signed up for this... Though now I can't remember how I found it. I did it because I had an idea for a story that I wanted to force myself to create, but I registered and have not thought about it once since, so...

I may have some time to outline this week before it starts, which would be a little helpful at least.

I was curious about the fact that you have to do everything in 3 days but don't have to send it in for like 2 weeks. Is there something you should be doing in that time (like is it okay to proofread and format? I know it says editing is in the three day window.) I can see the delay if you have to mail it in, but what's the point when it's an email submission? Im doing it just to force the words on paper, but if I actually cared about winning (I mean... I'd love to. That's just not the point), then it seems I'd be really worried about how much honor other competitors would really put into an honor system. 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 4:13pm
I think the submission window is for people who prefer to handwrite or use a typewriter, so they can get a copy on their computer after they've written it!! From my understanding, the honor code is taken very seriously!! I'm glad you'll be competing! YAY! Clap

EDIT: If you spend a while typing it up, you're not supposed to edit any mistakes you made writing it by hand. It's true that the editing should all be in that three-day window. 

Edited by Zelda - 31 Aug 2020 at 4:13pm
ash101_49 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ash101_49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

I think the submission window is for people who prefer to handwrite or use a typewriter, so they can get a copy on their computer after they've written it!! From my understanding, the honor code is taken very seriously!! I'm glad you'll be competing! YAY! Clap

EDIT: If you spend a while typing it up, you're not supposed to edit any mistakes you made writing it by hand. It's true that the editing should all be in that three-day window. 

Thanks! Also, sorry! After I asked, I went back through and read the whole forum, and I saw you'd answered this a couple of times now... I guess next time one of my students asks me a question that I've answered 7000 times already, I can no longer say, "Have you read the instructions yet?" 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 4:31pm
Oh, don't fret!! LOL I'm guilty of the exact same thing! Like, all the time! LOL And oh my gosh, I NEVER read the instructions first!! 
VannaGrey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VannaGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 7:31pm
So, I submitted my story. But now I'm in this weird mood. I feel discombobulated now that I'm not obsessively working on it. It's like I can't figure out what to do. I guess maybe it's time to start thinking about NaNoWriMo?
ash101_49 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ash101_49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 7:51pm
I submitted mine too! I ended up really loving what I did, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it (well the premise of it more than the specific storyline) would make a better sitcom than book. And now I have it in my head that I, with almost 0 screenwriting knowledge (it would be 0 if not for a TV writing class I took in college many many years ago), need to turn it into a pilot and full pitch and shop it to networks. So I guess I'm just going to teach myself all about that now. I'm sure writing/selling a show is super easy! 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 10:52pm
Great job, everyone!! 

I feel braindead. Like literally braindead. And I wrote another 17,400 words, just like last year. That must be my maximum potential for three days. It was hard. I had a great first day, but then my brain started to die, and I had to get myself to force-write the rest, and I wrapped it up with too much ease, like, "And then they all lived happily ever after," all of a sudden (and there was enough chocolate for all the characters to be happy), if that makes sense. I might not do this event anymore, because it really fried my brain. It's not nearly so hard to write a flash fiction piece in 48 hours or to do NaNoWriMo even, but just... total brain death. Dead Oh! This is also why I haven't returned feedback yet, but it's on my agenda! 

Edited by Zelda - 10 Sep 2020 at 10:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>