NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reciprocal Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MuffinMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reciprocal Reviews
    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 4:15pm
I'm curious what people are finding is typical for reciprocal reviews. I've read and reviewed 12 stories, and I've had 2 reviews. Technically, 1 review was not reciprocal, so I'm actually averaging 11 reviewed stories and 1 reciprocal review. 

Because this has been a problem for me in the past, I tried this time to mostly review for people who promise to reciprocate. Probably about half of the stories I've reviewed have said that. 

I was wondering if this might have had something to do with the fact that I waited about a week or so before even posting, because I was waiting until I had time to make sure I could take time to review other stories as well.

I'm not complaining, just genuinely curious. What does everybody else see as far as people reciprocating reviews?
kolohe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kolohe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 5:28pm
I do find that there's an initial sort of "feeding frenzy" when everyone is first able to post with a big taper after that. I've generally had very good luck with people returning my reviews, but I end up tending to leave more than I receive (I think on average I do at least 30 reviews for other each round, sometimes more if I can make the time). I've never tracked the exact return rate though.

Now I'm intrigued and am heading to read your flash though! Smile

**EDIT: okay so I got curious and went to look. I  left somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 reviews on other stories for round one of flash, and I've received around 40 reviews on my story. I do have particular forum members whose stories I actively seek out because A) I think they're very talented and like to see what they come up with, and B) I know they're very active on the forums, which boosts the likelihood of getting a response. So that might skew my numbers a little bit.

Edited by kolohe - 27 Jul 2020 at 5:35pm
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 6:11pm
I 100% believe that the reason is waiting to post. The first day (usually a Tues or Wed) is definitely a feeding frenzy, as kolohe said, and the weekend after is usually quite busy. But with the other contests going on and the plethora of stories, people stop checking back as often after that. I'll go read yours now though!
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 6:13pm
I personally am BEHIND on returning reads and reviews, but that in no way means I'm not going to get there. I'm just not getting there as quickly as I usually do. 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 6:14pm
I fully intend to return reviews for everyone, but I'm a slow reader, so it's been hard. My timeline is to get it done before the next round!! 
DanielleDahl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DanielleDahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 12:05am
I posted late too and have zero feedback :(
I will definitely review anyone who is so kind as to read mine lol! 
sdre017 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sdre017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 12:49am
I'm happy to reciprocate reads! :)
vanwijk88 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vanwijk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:39am
I sometimes try to avoid reviewing people who have lots of reviews already (although I might give the stories a read!) since other forum members might have more to gain from a review. The flipside of that is that less active people are, on average, less likely to return review. 

Reviews take time too. I spend about 30 minutes average each time because I try to pick two specific things to praise and then two pieces of constructive criticism at minimum. This can be harder for some stories than others. 

Also, I have been that person in the past who didn't return review. :/ Life got busy for me during the second round of the SSC 2018 as I was moving countries for university. I tried to make up for it in this round though by checking my old 2018 story and reviewing everyone's FF who submitted this time, and reviewed me back then. Obviously some people who reviewed me back then don't seem to be around in this competition though, so I still feel a bit guilty about that... 

Edited by vanwijk88 - 28 Jul 2020 at 1:40am
FFC 2020 R2: 250 Beats per Minute (Thriller)

"I intend to live forever or die trying."
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 5:11am
There's story behind every story - if people have not reciprocated, the most likely reason is that life has happened to them! They may well get round to it eventually - there is often a surge when the next round/challenge is looming.

I, and other NYC regulars, do look out for stories that have had zero reviews and make sure that we leave a review - that tends to happen when we're up to date with our own returns and visiting our old friends and favourites. Be patient - post it and reviews will come. :-D
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 8:48am
Originally posted by DanielleDahl DanielleDahl wrote:

I posted late too and have zero feedback :(
I will definitely review anyone who is so kind as to read mine lol! 

One thing that might help is putting a link to your forum post in you signature. Then people can more easily find your story. If you go into your member control panel, you'll see an option to edit your profile. There's a box for your signature--copy your forum post URL and paste it into that box. Make sure to use your forum post URL, not the link to your story. :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>