NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do You Submit Your Contest Stories To Publications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do You Submit Your Contest Stories To Publications

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tromatojuice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

... Obviously, that's not enough to quit the day job, because my doggo has lifestyle expectations that need living up to.

I think there's a story here ;)
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 5:41pm
I've managed to publish 3 flash stories and 1 short story from NYCM comps, along with another that was expanded from a 250-word microfiction piece. I also use Duotrope, which I agree is well worth the monies. 
velocisarah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velocisarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 9:25am
I've had a few of my short stories from NYCM published and I'm currently submitting my round 1 flash fiction piece. My writing group has a "race to rejections" challenge every 6 months and I'm trying to get my hat in the ring this time!

If I get a lot of constructive things to work on from the forum, I'll usually work on my story and wait for judges' feedback before I submit. If there isn't a lot pointed out to change on the forum though, I'll usually tweak some small things and submit to a few places right away (mostly sci-fi/fantasy/horror stories). 

I don't submit my last round piece if I get to the last round until after the winners are announce, but afterwards I submit, again with any edits I agree with from the judges and forum :)

Edited by velocisarah - 23 Jul 2020 at 9:25am
FFC R2G88 Horror Eat Thereof
FFC R1G88 SciFi The Lap of LUXury
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 10:23am
I sold two of the worst-performing ones on the first try (in both cases by just doubling down on everything about them nobody liked.) I've got a few others out, but I've found the better they score/more positive the forum feedback, the harder they are for a real market (and some, like "Iconoclast" and "Cellared", aren't meant to stand alone anyway so I've never tried, and another, "Intruder Alert," a suspense story from the POV of dog, has no particular market.) Most places, though, I tend to see a submission call and either pull something out of the files or write something for that. Some of the NYCM genres and prompts just don't fit many markets (and I only submit to paying, semi-pro or pro. I've done ONE "royalty share" and don't recommend it. The odds of most ever reaching the pay threshold are remote.)

I use the Grinder, Submittable (which is less for searching than a LOT of places use it for submissions), Duotrope, Angela Benedetti's anthology list, and Authors Publish to look for markets.
KarenB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KarenB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

I've managed to publish 3 flash stories and 1 short story from NYCM comps, along with another that was expanded from a 250-word microfiction piece. I also use Duotrope, which I agree is well worth the monies. 

I checked out Duotrope, and I think I will subscribe.  I hadn't heard of it, so I am glad to hear that it is worth the money!  Very cool that you are having publishing success -- I guess I better step up my game!  Thanks for the reply!!!Smile
MF 100 word '22 R1 G73 Starting From Scratch
MF250 '21 RD1 G85 Echoes Across the Ages
KarenB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by velocisarah velocisarah wrote:

I've had a few of my short stories from NYCM published and I'm currently submitting my round 1 flash fiction piece. My writing group has a "race to rejections" challenge every 6 months and I'm trying to get my hat in the ring this time!

If I get a lot of constructive things to work on from the forum, I'll usually work on my story and wait for judges' feedback before I submit. If there isn't a lot pointed out to change on the forum though, I'll usually tweak some small things and submit to a few places right away (mostly sci-fi/fantasy/horror stories). 

I don't submit my last round piece if I get to the last round until after the winners are announce, but afterwards I submit, again with any edits I agree with from the judges and forum :)

I love the "race to rejections" challenge concept!  You have a solid writing/editing/submission process -- I am inspired! Smile Thank you for sharing!!
KarenB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I sold two of the worst-performing ones on the first try (in both cases by just doubling down on everything about them nobody liked.) I've got a few others out, but I've found the better they score/more positive the forum feedback, the harder they are for a real market (and some, like "Iconoclast" and "Cellared", aren't meant to stand alone anyway so I've never tried, and another, "Intruder Alert," a suspense story from the POV of dog, has no particular market.) Most places, though, I tend to see a submission call and either pull something out of the files or write something for that. Some of the NYCM genres and prompts just don't fit many markets (and I only submit to paying, semi-pro or pro. I've done ONE "royalty share" and don't recommend it. The odds of most ever reaching the pay threshold are remote.)

I use the Grinder, Submittable (which is less for searching than a LOT of places use it for submissions), Duotrope, Angela Benedetti's anthology list, and Authors Publish to look for markets.

I was wondering about the correlation between how well stories are received on the forum / judges, and how well they place in the real market!  I think I will try Duotrope, and I will check out the other suggestions.  Thanks, too, for the tip regarding paying, semi-pro, or pro.  I'm excited to begin submitting!  Smile Thank you for the insight and information!

nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 7:23pm

My writing group has a "race to rejections" challenge every 6 months and I'm trying to get my hat in the ring this time!

This sounds fun! One of my writing groups definitely has a running joke on who is “winning” with the fastest turnaround on a rejection. I think my record is 67 minutes, but I’m not the record holder!

We also do a goal tracking event every month. A couple folks set a “X number of rejections” as their goal. It sounds backwards, but it means they are continually putting stuff out there & meeting the goal at least feels like an accomplishment, easing the sting of rejection. And the more you submit, the more likely something will sell!
velocisarah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velocisarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

My writing group has a "race to rejections" challenge every 6 months and I'm trying to get my hat in the ring this time!

This sounds fun! One of my writing groups definitely has a running joke on who is “winning” with the fastest turnaround on a rejection. I think my record is 67 minutes, but I’m not the record holder!

We also do a goal tracking event every month. A couple folks set a “X number of rejections” as their goal. It sounds backwards, but it means they are continually putting stuff out there & meeting the goal at least feels like an accomplishment, easing the sting of rejection. And the more you submit, the more likely something will sell!

The challenge totally changed how I think about rejections! No matter what answer I get from markets, it feels like some kind of win. Just this week I got the "not this one but send more" kind of rejection that seems about the best I can ask for other than an acceptance haha

That's awesome! And absolutely - the people who win ours have been getting about 80-100 or so rejections within the time limit and a decent chunk of acceptances as well, partially because they are awesome writers and partially because they're showing up so much for their own work.
FFC R2G88 Horror Eat Thereof
FFC R1G88 SciFi The Lap of LUXury
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 6:00pm
Yes, I definitely try to get my NYC Midnight stories published.

I usually revise the stories before submitting them to publishers -- sometimes heavily, sometimes just a word or two. In most cases, I try to keep them the same length -- if it's written as a 1,000-word flash story, I try to keep it a 1,000-word flash story -- but there have been a few exceptions where I make the piece longer. 

Of the Short Story, Flash Fiction and Microfiction stories I've written for NYC Midnight comps:
- 4 have been published
- 4 have been accepted by publishers and are awaiting publication for later this year
- 3 are still getting sent out to publishers but haven't found homes yet
- 2 are under revision before getting sent out to publishers 
- 1 is potentially being retired, or at least I'm intentionally not sending it to publishers for a bit
- 1 is still with the NYC Midnight judges (Flash Fiction Round 1)

Good luck! I'm happy to talk the 'ins and outs' of short-story publishing and share what very limited expertise I have with anyone who is interested! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>