NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How's Everyone feeling about their story?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by lmcollins lmcollins wrote:

I just found two errors i thought I fixed. I edited so much to get to the word count and it was so late. I am so disappointed with myself. Cry

Oh no, don't feel bad!! I did the same thing with my 100-word story. You worked hard and did a great job!! Clap
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:34pm
Well, the forum seems to like it. That rarely bodes well for the judges, but at least people here like it.
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 3:15am
Originally posted by KLNorman KLNorman wrote:

I like it but I think it’s a lot more clear in my mind then in the reader’s. 

Yes, this. I really need to get the first draft done early enough to run it past some beta readers. 
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 4:08am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Well, the forum seems to like it. That rarely bodes well for the judges, but at least people here like it.

Everyone says that, but whenever I’ve gotten good reviews I’ve generally done well. People here are generally gracious and kind; when I haven’t advanced, it’s not that I’ve gotten poor reviews, it’s that I’ve gotten few reviews (like people maybe read it and skipped reviewing it because they didn’t like it.) The only exception was a comedy I wrote last year that was popular on the forum but didn’t advance and one judge said it offended him or her. Good luck!

-Alex 
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:14am
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

a comedy I wrote last year that was popular on the forum but didn’t advance and one judge said it offended him or her.

Seriously? I hadn't realised the judges were arbiters of good taste as well as quality.
north_north_west View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote north_north_west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:39am
Well, I liked mine a lot more when I posted it than I do now. I realized from people's reactions to it that it wasn't entirely successful and could have been better.  But the feedback was really generally helpful, and for that I'm grateful.

We press on!
north_north_west
FF R3 The Roadrunner Gambit
FF R2 Dog-ocracy in America

jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 11:22am

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Everyone says that, but whenever I’ve gotten good reviews I’ve generally done well. People here are generally gracious and kind; when I haven’t advanced, it’s not that I’ve gotten poor reviews, it’s that I’ve gotten few reviews (like people maybe read it and skipped reviewing it because they didn’t like it.) The only exception was a comedy I wrote last year that was popular on the forum but didn’t advance and one judge said it offended him or her. Good luck!

-Alex 

The more the forums (and professional editors) like it, the less the judges do. Nadir being first-ever ssc entry (horror/stewardess/last will and testament) which went out in the first round (I doubled the length, took out anything the judges liked, doubled down on what they didn't, and sold it the first place I sent it) and the ghost story I bombed out of ffc on two years ago, which I just made longer, and sold the first place I sent it. The one they liked best of all is the most useless (a suspense story on a chicken farm with the POV of dog.)
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 11:26am
@jennifer.quail: I hear you! I feel like everyone says that, but I’ve just had the opposite experience - they generally agree for me. Good luck this round!
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 12:04pm
I mostly liked mine when I posted it. But the responses to it are making me doubt myself. It's not that they're terrible or anything, but I feel like my story is being misinterpreted by most who read it. That's not a reader issue, that's a writer issue! It means I haven't quite accomplished what I set out to do.
So...cue the generic self-doubt and anxiety!

Edited by Lookit There - 18 Jul 2020 at 12:05pm
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 12:05pm

@jennifer.quail: I hear you! I feel like everyone says that, but I’ve just had the opposite experience - they generally agree for me. Good luck this round!

I've overwhelmingly shared your experience too, Northern. I've written for 19 rounds of NYCM contests (received feedback on 17, as the other two are still pending) but only once have I gotten feedback from the judges that didn't seem commensurate with feedback from forum readers and non-forum betas.

I also sold one of those stories after following advice for improvement from the judges.

I've even gotten the dreaded logline/Caps On Random Words judge and really did find most of their comments for improvement helpful -- even the harping on my summary, which has made my summary-writing better ever since.

Edited by taaaylor - 18 Jul 2020 at 12:07pm
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>