NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How's Everyone feeling about their story?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BigAltheLawyer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAltheLawyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How's Everyone feeling about their story?
    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:53am
I'm not particularly confident in mine.

I made the mistake of attempting a bathroom renovation starting about 3 weeks ago...and it's stretched beyond my initial time frame...so I only wrote for about forty-five minutes and as a result don't feel it's my best work.

Just today, looking at it for the first time since posting, I realized a much better title.  Just things like that.

Good luck to everyone!  This has been a fun process regardless!
-AJN-
pwhitt4654 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwhitt4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:50am
I'm not satisfied with mine.  I struggled with it, submitted it just before deadline.  Started it 3 times, completely changed each time.  Now I like the second start and wished I gone with that.  
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by MCGsandiego MCGsandiego wrote:

Actually, I feel pretty good about my story.
It's Horrific.
What I don't understand is how to post it here in the forum do I can get feedback from other writers. 

Here are the step-by-steps. Once you are on the forum, the best way to get feedback is read other people's stories. A large percentage of folks will do you the favor of a return. The more you read the more likely you'll get feedback. 

Step by step instructions to post your story on the forums & get it on the Master List:

• Go to the subforum: Flash Fiction Challenge 2020 Review
  • Click the “New Topic +” button on the upper left.
  • Put this in the Subject: CX Group Y Story Title (X is the current challenge number, so 1, and Y is the group number you were assigned.)
  • In the message portion of the post, most people list their prompts, the story title, and their synopsis, as well as a link to the actual story. You can host it in google docs or on your blog, or wherever you feel comfortable.
  • When you are finished, click the “post new topic” button on the bottom left.
  • Your story is now posted. This will be the place where readers will leave you feedback.
  • At the top of the screen, copy the address of the post. It should start with https://forums.nycmidnight.com/...
  • Go to the Master List that corresponds to your group number. Leave a comment for the Master List keeper that includes your Group number, Story Title, and also paste the link that you just copied from the top of your forum post. This will get you on the Master List.

MCGsandiego View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCGsandiego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:53pm
I feel good about my story, but I don't know how to post it here and read feedback.
Help?? 
MCGsandiego View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCGsandiego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:51pm
Actually, I feel pretty good about my story.
It's Horrific.
What I don't understand is how to post it here in the forum do I can get feedback from other writers. 
GaleGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaleGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 9:48am
Originally posted by KLNorman KLNorman wrote:

I like it but I think it’s a lot more clear in my mind then in the reader’s. 

Yes, that happens to me to, that I know what happened. I really don't know how to feel about my piece. Honestly, it is all I could come up with after forgetting I'd signed up for a day after the contest began.

Good luck to you.
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 6:33am
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

Originally posted by dutchsimmons dutchsimmons wrote:

I really like mine, but cant seem to get anybody to read it!

have a few folks who have provided positive feedback, but this was my first foray into this arena and I'd love to get more responses
Especially since Im giving feedback to others!

Dutch

I find there's about a 5 to 1 ratio of reviews you give to return reviews.

Make sure to review your group - higher chance of return.

And then every so often, maybe a strategic bump. "Thanks for the reviews" or whatever and maybe address individual questions previous reviewers may have had.

I've found that the majority of people I've left a review with have reciprocated - more than two thirds, anyway. After the initial burst and reviews from heatmates, there hasn't been a single review from someone I haven't reviewed first. 
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Originally posted by Fawsley Fawsley wrote:

I’ve realised that how I write is intensely English. And I don’t mean British, I mean English, so I’m rather concerned as a new by as to how North American-centric this whole thing is and whether I’m too obscure for it all... Time will tell! Good luck everyone! 

Nah, don't worry. Unless you write REALLY obscure stuff. It's not NorthAm-centric, but you do need to think 'global'. I got puzzled comments on the forums about conkers, but not from the judges. By Brighton Beach, about a B&B with a bit of Windrush thrown in didn't go through, but a story about a small hotel in Devon/Cornwall did. There are quite a few Brits in here, and I tend to write about England, Scotland or places in Europe. Never been to the States or Canada, so... The only way being British has given me any problems in these competitions is that I often need to google the prompts 😂 eg supercenter, transient person, or toaster oven. 

Hi,
I got a puzzling comment on the forum about 'slug.' It'a word that's commonplace here so for a second it threw me for a loop. Then I realised that unless you're aware of its etymology from the Irish 'slog ' that you wouldn't have a clue that it meant to swallow by drinking and that it was perfectly acceptable for a child to say it. I find myself looking up words sometimes too. That said, anything that makes you google words/slang is okay in my book. Smile Best of luck to everyone!
elliberry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 1:40pm
I feel generally pretty good about the way mine turned out! My flash fiction story is set in one of my favorite cities (Quebec City) so writing it was a nice little nostalgia trip. One of the reasons I like these contests is because very often, I get assigned genres I wouldn't usually do if I was just writing on my own. 

It's also been really cool reading other stories and interacting with people on the forum! It's definitely helped alleviate the quarantine boredom lol 
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Fawsley Fawsley wrote:

I’ve realised that how I write is intensely English. And I don’t mean British, I mean English, so I’m rather concerned as a new by as to how North American-centric this whole thing is and whether I’m too obscure for it all... Time will tell! Good luck everyone! 

Nah, don't worry. Unless you write REALLY obscure stuff. It's not NorthAm-centric, but you do need to think 'global'. I got puzzled comments on the forums about conkers, but not from the judges. By Brighton Beach, about a B&B with a bit of Windrush thrown in didn't go through, but a story about a small hotel in Devon/Cornwall did. There are quite a few Brits in here, and I tend to write about England, Scotland or places in Europe. Never been to the States or Canada, so... The only way being British has given me any problems in these competitions is that I often need to google the prompts 😂 eg supercenter, transient person, or toaster oven. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>