NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THINGS TO DO before the new subforum opens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THINGS TO DO before the new subforum opens
    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 8:49am
Hey there everyone,

So before the new subforum launches today so we can post our stories for review, here are a few things you can do right now to get prepared:

1. Get your resources ready.
    Create a Notepad file (or a file in a plaintext editor) that you'll use to store all the stuff you'll do in the next steps. Trust me on this. It's very useful.
  2. Get your story ready.
    Upload your story to a sharing service such as Google drive.
    Create the Share URL. (Your sharing service instructions will vary. But you need a link to the shared version, not to the author version.)
    Save that long URL to your Notepad file.
  3. Get your short link ready.
    The forums have issues with long URLs in topics and in signatures. To help save space and keep you from going crazy on why a link or a signature won't work, create a short link using a URL shortener.
    Go to Bit.ly or TinyURL.com or whatever link shortener that you use.
    Use the long URL (from your Notepad file in step 2), and then create your short URL.
    Paste the short URL into your Notepad file.
  4. Get your Actual Post ready.
    You can do this in your Notepad file as well. Don't worry about the formatting in a plaintext file--you can format the post when you create it.
    You want to include the following:
    • Your Group Number, Genre, Location, and Prop
    • Your Title
    • Your Synopsis
    • Any requests for what you're looking for
    • THE SHORT LINK
  5. Save your Notepad file. You'll use it later.
You're all set and efficient!

Note that when you are ready to post your link to your story in the subforum, follow the instructions in Nixie's post here: https://bit.ly/2DEc9Io

Here's what my file looks like. The URLs to my document are obfuscated, of course.

==============================
For the upload:

Words: 995
Title: Paper Cuts
Synopsis: Fate pushed them together in the last rush of people to leave Earth, and fate will separate them, sending them to distant stars that are light years from each other. But a spark between them may yet find a way to bind them together.
Email: feedback@nycmidnight.com
Title: FFC2020 Challenge #1 Story
Body: Here’s my submission. “Paper Cuts”

For the post:

Post URL: (I get this when I set up my forum post)
Short Post URL: (I create this when I set up my forum post)

R1 G38 | Romance | A Tunnel | Wrapping Paper

PAPER CUTS (link to the Short Doc URL)
Fate pushed them together in the last rush of people to leave Earth, and fate will separate them, sending them to distant stars that are light years from each other. But a spark between them may yet find a way to bind them together.

I am grateful for your comments and insights into my story, and promise that I will review your entry as soon as I can.

For the signature:

FF2020 R1G38 Romance | Tunnel | Wrapping Paper | [ URL="Short Post URL"] Paper Cuts [/URL]

Edited by stephenmatlock - 15 Jul 2020 at 1:57pm
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 8:59am
You are so proactive! 
Mpetroz View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpetroz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:08am
Thanks a lot for posting this!
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:45am
And to make the Master List Masters' lives easier please follow these guidelines when submitting to the Master List! Wink

1. Please make sure you create a forum post in the Flash Fiction Challenge 2020 Review first! This is the link you will provide.

2. Once the Master List has been created, leave a comment with your Group#, Title, and Forum Post Link. Please do not leave a hyperlinked title. Please do not link a Google Doc directly.

3. If you have a wild/long title, we may shorten it. Please let us know if you have a preferred version!

4. Definitely let us know if we've made any mistakes!!

5. Some titles will not have links right away because we made the lists using the Title/Synopsis thread!

#amrevising
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:14am
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

2. Once the Master List has been created, leave a comment with your Group#, Title, and Forum Post Link.

Note- there will be 2 lists. Steph will be managing Groups 1-60, I will be managing 61-125. Please try your best to put your add request on the correct list so it does not get missed!  :)

stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:23am
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

2. Once the Master List has been created, leave a comment with your Group#, Title, and Forum Post Link.
Note- there will be 2 lists. Steph will be managing Groups 1-60, I will be managing 61-125. Please try your best to put your add request on the correct list so it does not get missed!  :)

Thanks to BOTH OF YOU for doing this Herculean task!

Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:25am

Ah yes! Hopefully only two...LOL
#amrevising
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:35am

Ah yes! Hopefully only two...LOL

<fingers crossed> 
And hopefully the traffic does not crash the site like last year. LOL
aimeep View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:36am

I have a question. I've participated in NYC screenwriting challenges, but it's been a while and nobody organized anything. People just read what they read. I was hoping to read some stories when I have time but I'm a little confused about how all of this is supposed to work. What do I need to know?
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by aimeep aimeep wrote:

I have a question. I've participated in NYC screenwriting challenges, but it's been a while and nobody organized anything. People just read what they read. I was hoping to read some stories when I have time but I'm a little confused about how all of this is supposed to work. What do I need to know?

Start by reading this post... it should be helpful!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>